DMoney
Participant
@dmoney

Hey Everybody

It’s true my skin is virginal, untouched by any ink, but I have a great amount of respect for the craft and a whole lot of intrigue into why people choose to commit the things they do to their bodies. I find tattoos to be the ultimate indication of someone’s creativity and passion (not including guys who just do it to appear more macho)

Personally, I have yet to find something that is meaningful enough to me to be put onto my body.

I hope y’all won’t mind me observing and learning from you all, and gaining some new perspectives. Who knows maybe I’ll even find some inspiration for my own art.

-De

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

welcome to the forum, and its not a problem you just being here as a virgin… its the best way to do it rather than just go and get some random piece of crap flash just for the sake of having a tattoo…. respect to you for taking it so seriously, we need more people like you in the world so we dont do as many cover ups lol..;)

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi and welcome

Nothing wrong with taking your time over your tattoo – it is on for life.

If you need any help just shout up.

Take Care
Matthew

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

Hi!
Welcome to the forum, I’m sure you’ll find it informational.

yellowsubgirly3
Participant
@yellowsubgirly3

I think its great that you are observing!
I am too an “ink virgin”. But I have a GOOD idea on what I want. Not exactly what i want but the picture and symbols I want in my tat. I have a rule that when I find the tatoo design I want I will see if I want it a month from then.
Currently still looking for the design. It is a big decision!

Welcome! (I am new as well)

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

Well, if you’re that worried about being a virgin, you can come on over to my place. I’ll pour some wine, toss on a little Barry White, and we’ll see where the eve…..

Oh.

I misread that.

Outlaw and Sherav said it right, but I’ll drop the little spiel I always make when someone mentions “meaningful” tattoos.

Tattoos don’t have to be meaningful. In fact, I believe a so called meaningful tattoo misses the entire damn point.

Art of all forms is supposed to elicit a visceral, gut level response. The more explanation a piece requires, the less successful the piece is. Go stand in front of one of the great works in museums, or hell, even just damn good ones like in the Cinncinati Art Museum. They gutshot you.

That’s what art is supposed to do.

The aesthetics of a piece is what matters. The only statement your tattoos explicitly make about you is your aesthetic tastes. No one’s gonna know that the flaming ass skull on your arm represents the way you face life: on fire and screaming.

All too often, people get god awful ink and refuse to acknowledge it because it has “deeper meaning”, like the classic feathered armband that represents your indian heritage eight generations back on your mother’s side.

The only thing worse is when you get a bad tattoo and the deeper meaning is fucking gang/prision related. Then not only do you have bad ink, but you’re most likely going to stab me when I tell you randomly on the street how bad it is.

And I don’t like being stabbed dammit.

Of course, Sherav, also known in these parts as Lord Hull, disagrees with me on the deeper meaning issue.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Lol!

I only partially disagree – as said bad ink is bad ink regardless of meaning.

However I think that well executed ink can also contain a lot of deeper meaning that comes through after the initial emotional reaction of seeing great ink.

It does not have to symbolise but it can if you want it to.

Now ta-ta I am heading back for some tea and fisticuffs with knighthawk 😀

Take Care
Matthew

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

Fisticuffs is the British slang for anal fisting, FYI. Always good to have a spot of tea to warm up for that.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

:eek:Searches for some eye bleach:eek:

I just spilt my drink laughing you sick bastard 😀

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw
Sherav;62153 wrote:
:eek:Searches for some eye bleach:eek:

I just spilt my drink laughing you sick bastard 😀

i must admit i did chuckle a little………… ok…. lots :p

dammit KH you need to write a friggin book:D

ps….. anal hugz n kisses sounds more polite

Blue1
Participant
@blue1

Dear hell…..KH! You made me spit my beer…. you owe me a new one! lol

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk
Outlaw wrote:
ps….. anal hugz n kisses sounds more polite

I’m a red blooded American man Outlaw. We don’t worry none about politeness, we’re too busy praying to American Jesus and fighting grizzly bears with our dicks while drinking Budweiser, KING OF MOTHER FUCKING BEERS, on top of speeding NASCARS, dammit.

As for you Blue, why are you drinking a beer in the first place? You oughtta be bare foot in my kitchen makin me a sammich.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

DMoney
Participant
@dmoney

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone =)

It’s interesting to see the different perspectives and I can totally see what you mean KnightHawk. I can understand that not everything has to be meaningful, sometimes when you look at art, it means absolutely nothing (random scribbles, lines or even something as simple as a lake with water lilies) but the effect that it can have you on is still profound in the way that “good art” goes.

Maybe I’m fickle, but I haven’t found something that has caught my eye and imagination for longer than several months at a time. I’m just waiting for that one thing that inspires me (meaningful or not)

I know sometimes people think of their skin as a canvas, a question I have for all of you then is how much is the tattoo for yourself and how much is it a display of art? (Especially you KnightHawk since you’re the one who has made the distinction between a tattoo being meaningful/art)

Yellowsubgirly3 – you said you knew what symbols you wanted in your tattoo – can I be so curious as to ask which? If you know the general gist of what you want wouldn’t it be a good idea to give those aspects to an artist who’s work you admire, and see what they come up with?

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk
DMoney;62175 wrote:
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone =)

It’s interesting to see the different perspectives and I can totally see what you mean KnightHawk. I can understand that not everything has to be meaningful, sometimes when you look at art, it means absolutely nothing (random scribbles, lines or even something as simple as a lake with water lilies) but the effect that it can have you on is still profound in the way that “good art” goes.

Maybe I’m fickle, but I haven’t found something that has caught my eye and imagination for longer than several months at a time. I’m just waiting for that one thing that inspires me (meaningful or not)

I know sometimes people think of their skin as a canvas, a question I have for all of you then is how much is the tattoo for yourself and how much is it a display of art? (Especially you KnightHawk since you’re the one who has made the distinction between a tattoo being meaningful/art)

In my experience, the random scribble school of art seems to be the most guilty of writing 300 page manifestos on what their art is supposed to represent. It’s the museum equivalent of the guy with the poorly executed feathered armband attempting to explain how it represents his deep connection to his Native American heritage.

But that’s kinda beside the point, ain’t it?

I’m an artist my man. I’m working on a portfolio and in the next couple months I’m going to go out looking for a tattoo apprenticeship. When I draw a piece, I draw it for myself. I draw it to suit my own aesthetic tastes, which is why a preponderance of my own work so focuses on light. I’m fascinated by the play of light across surfaces, and my work makes that obvious.

Do I want other people to like what I produce? Fuck yes. When it comes to my art, I’m one vain ass mother fucker, and I want you to shower me with god damn praise! But to get to that point, I have to first please myself with the work, because if I don’t love it, then I’m not going to be able to produce a piece that’s going to gutshot you.

When I get a piece of ink done, it’s the same concept. I want something I’m excited for, something that fits my tastes, because if it pleases me, if it’s up to my harsh, overly critical standards, then others are at the very least going to love the skill that went into my tattoo, and the thought I put into the design concept.

And it works. I love to death all of my ink save for my first, and the sheer humor in the piece makes it eye catching even over my sleeve. I wear my ink with pride, and it’s obvious, so I get alot of compliments, and over the years have sent an ungodly amount of work to my artist. I don’t even know how much at this point, but last time I spoke with him it was over $10k.

So, to be honest, the question is like a snake eating its own tail. I get/produce something that pleases me, because, ultimately, that will make it please others, which pleases me, ad naseum, ad infinium.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

ryannnnn
Participant
@ryannnnn
KnightHawk;62034 wrote:
Well, if you’re that worried about being a virgin, you can come on over to my place. I’ll pour some wine, toss on a little Barry White, and we’ll see where the eve…..

Oh.

I misread that.

Outlaw and Sherav said it right, but I’ll drop the little spiel I always make when someone mentions “meaningful” tattoos.

Tattoos don’t have to be meaningful. In fact, I believe a so called meaningful tattoo misses the entire damn point.

Art of all forms is supposed to elicit a visceral, gut level response. The more explanation a piece requires, the less successful the piece is. Go stand in front of one of the great works in museums, or hell, even just damn good ones like in the Cinncinati Art Museum. They gutshot you.

That’s what art is supposed to do.

The aesthetics of a piece is what matters. The only statement your tattoos explicitly make about you is your aesthetic tastes. No one’s gonna know that the flaming ass skull on your arm represents the way you face life: on fire and screaming.

All too often, people get god awful ink and refuse to acknowledge it because it has “deeper meaning”, like the classic feathered armband that represents your indian heritage eight generations back on your mother’s side.

The only thing worse is when you get a bad tattoo and the deeper meaning is fucking gang/prision related. Then not only do you have bad ink, but you’re most likely going to stab me when I tell you randomly on the street how bad it is.

And I don’t like being stabbed dammit.

Of course, Sherav, also known in these parts as Lord Hull, disagrees with me on the deeper meaning issue.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

fuck yeah!!! i didn’t know anyone else agreed with my perspectives on tattoos… if it looks awesome to you, get it, it doesnt have to be of a dead relative or some shit, if that’s what it is, then more power to you, but unique is the key with a great tattoo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.