seanl
    Participant
    @seanl

hi i thought it would be good to join here as i have just got my self a tattoo kit , i was gettin a bit fed up with watching people tattooing me so i thought i would turn the tables lol ,
    ive not yet looked in every corner of this site yet , but has any one got any tips for me before i get started ( on myself ) thanks for takin the time to read this

cheers seanl 🙂

magikstyck69
    Participant
    @magikstyck69

i am in the same position as you (new to site, just own equipment) and asked the same question a couple days ago and got no takers. Been readin through numerous posts and found there are plenty of nice people, but also alot that look down on people just starting off (like theyve never been at the bottom). Well anyway, welcome to the site.

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

welcome to the forum,
    i think i might be one of those that frown down but i dont forget my roots…..

its a very long ride on a crazy train trying to get anywhere in the tattoo scene, my advice would be to learn how your machines work and why they work, strip them down and rebuild them… make sure you know it inside out and back to front just in case you are in the middle of a piece and it stops working on you.

then place a pencil in it instead of a needle and tube, and practice your arse off on paper getting to control the weight and ballance of using the machine… when you think your good then wrap the paper round a plastic bottle and practce straight lines and circles.

any thing regarding advice on using the equipment is better done in private messages, it keeps scratcher discussions out of the forum. 😉

and that being as polite as possible. :p

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

Yep what he above said:D

magikstyck69
    Participant
    @magikstyck69

Outlaw, you take a hard stance against beginners like me, but damn, you do some beautiful work. Just checked out your album. Good stuff Bud.

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

i dont take a hard stance towards beginners….even im still learning…. i just want them to realize that there is more to this artform than buying a kit off ebay and spreading hepatitis or something worse from a soft furnished shit hole and having heigyne worse than a ferrets arse…..

if i do go off on a tangent at a member then it is normally because cold sharp shock replies are normally listened to, even other members reading a shocking reply will remember it for a long time.

i just tell it how i see it 😀

my best advice for a newbie to the scene is to draw their arse off every minute of spare time they get, and to post some work up for constructive critique…. its easier to progress with truthfull replies rather than false inspiring words..

ps… thanks for the kind words on my work

seanl
    Participant
    @seanl

hey thanks for getting back to me , im not one for letting people beating round the boosh with me , SAY IT HOW IT IS , if i dont like what u wont to say i will tell u he he , so outlaw yer with u on the drawing an using bottles ect and will start that i all so have a heap load of practice skin so would that be better than the bottles ? , just wondering tho , is there a guide on needles ? with what is best used for what
    see i have had the kit for a while and only this week have started to look on the net , watch videos , just to take as much info as posable , with my own tats i have never been 100% happy with the out come of the work and have been to a lot of tattooists from hampshire down to cornwall more so in cornwall , i seem to be able to pick fult in every bit of work i have had done , so maybe this is a good thing when coming to me starting my own work

cheers magikstyck69 i dont worrie about people who wonna look down on us newbes to tattooing this is only because they have worked hard to get were they are BUT they do forget they had to learn , witch i think is a bit of a let down to them selfs ! but all so there are a lot of people out there that will just get a tat gun and rip shit into people with out spending time doin there home work or even thinking about the job in hand so i do understand why people will get up about us newbes , but some slack wouldnt go a miss , we are not all bad needles in a box lol

anyway i have a free day so time to make a start , o yer out law nice work !!!!!!!!!!

cheers ppl seanl

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

i would still recommend the use of a pencil in the machine to start with, get used to how it feels and moves with the weight of the machine. you can place a grip onto the pencil as well to make it more like the real thing, then once you have practiced the lines and circles and you think its looking good with the paper wrapped around a bottle…. plug the machine in and try again with the machine running, see if your still happy with straigt lines and no wobbles.

its good that you have been able to pick faults with the work you have had done, but remember… this is tattooing not photocopying so it wont be a perfect copy and you will always be able to find a small something you think could have been better… hell i had a client tell me he wasnt happy with a line in some water, it turned out to be part of the design when i showed him the flash…..

it sounds like you will a good critic for your own work….. dont try slinking any ink until ya practiced as above for a while.
    and dont use any stainles tips or grips for real skin unless you have an autoclave…. stick with disposibles 😉

good luck with it, and post some pieces of practice up, it would be nice to see some of your progression

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

ps…. try this for a bit of informative reading

http://outlawtattoo.co.uk/Godoy%20English%20Read%20Only.pdf

😉

smallville_hero
    Participant
    @smallville_hero

Hi,

My friend is going into tattooing, he is starting out with the help of a studio where his friends work and he has started doing piercings. Just an idea but could you get training off a friend or studio???

seanl
    Participant
    @seanl

cheers outlaw that is a some good reading goin on there with the ins an outs of tat2 machines , see i love stripping down and rebuilding motorbike engines an to look at a tat2 machines , i didnt think there was to much goin with it , but that has opened my eyes !!!! i think i will read that over a few times and keep coming back to that ,
    but it has made me wonder tho , many tattoo shops i have been in and they have had loads of tat2 machines in a draw or on the shelf , and i have asked why so many ? 9 times out of 10 i get they dont work , money down the drain in my eyes if they dont know how to fix them i guess lol , yer i will put some stuff up on here and show u how its goin , and feed back is all ways wellcome form any one bad or good !

cheers seanl

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

instaead of keep coming back into this thread to read it, if you right click on it and select “save as” and save it to your computer, you can print it out and keep it as a book .

ps….. please stop refaring to the machines as guns… they dont shoot anything out and kill people 😉

seanl
    Participant
    @seanl

lol yer your rite there !!!!;) sorted ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

KrAsHFAMOUS
    Participant
    @krashfamous

well its about 3 in the morning and found this site it looks cool so imma tr it out.. lets see you can call me Krash . i love tattoos and hope to be sleeved out pretty soon im 20 and have 4 tattoos [would have more but its a money issue] i like helpn ppl out and telln them useful info if i can help. I live in Texas Dallas Area im an Apperntice at a local shop. Im in to the rat rod cars/trucks . and drawing i like drawing for ppl and im always full of ideas so if you got Doodle block i think i could help thats a lil about me i guess sooo whats new???

S.Neill
    Participant
    @s-neill

Outlaw gave you some good advice. Many people go spend $90 dollars on a beginner’s tattoo kit then they trash someone because honestly they are barely able to draw, have no concept of shade, don’t even know what a technique is, let alone how to mix them, don’t understand the use of color, and never knew that graywash was originally a style and not a color of black.

Add to that that few people know how bloodborne pathogens are transferred, how to avoid it and think sterilization is a river in Africa and you have a serious problem. You ink out of the house with no understanding of what is in your carpet, and wonder why we are so hard on you?

Do exactly what Outlaw said. Take your machine completely apart, every piece, then put it back together again. If you can get it running right again, then you’ve begun to understand. When you are done, do exactly what he said, put a pencil in it and trace, then practice shading, and when you are able to run arrow straight lines, and shade with the machine on the end of a pencil, then get a wine bottle, wrap the paper around it and draw, shade and trace again…with a pencil. Don’t bother with a practice skin until you can run perfect lines with a pencil.

An apprentice in a shop might be there a year before he ever turns a machine on. How deep do you go? What angle to you hold the machine? How do you avoid chewing up skin when you do black work? When do you use a magnum, a shader or a liner? How do you decide what grouping to use.

You’ve got too much to learn, and this forum, from what I understand isn’t the place for that discussion.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.