toosday
    Participant
    @toosday

So I got a new tattoo a week ago. Went to an artist Ive been to before. Was happy with what I got last time, granted it was a very simple piece. This time tho, the final product was not what I’d pictured. It’s not bad, really it’s not. It looks good for the most part. I’m just a perfectionist and I dont feel like this one is as good as it could have been. I sorta thought he was better than this tattoo. Some lines aren’t perfect, some aspects are not in symmetry and I think they should be. A couple spots look crooked. And those might just be a bit of optical illusion in the design, I’m not sure. Now, of course I’m being critical cuz I’m just that kind of detail oriented person. I’m trying to love it, but when I look at it, I don’t get excited, I feel anxiety over what I see as imperfections. He had a good design and the stencil outline looked great. The application? Well how could I control what his mind told his hand to do?

Can you guys please help me realize that tattoos don’t have to be perfect and that even a teeny bit crooked or imperfect tattoo is still ok? I’m not going to post a pic bec I’m feeling sensitive right now and would rather not have it picked apart any more than I’m already doing. Should I embrace it as an individual work of art and leave as is, or try to have the artist make tiny adjustments in an effort to improve it? I feel terrible to think about telling him I’m not happy with his artistic rendering. I don’t know how to feel or how to start loving it.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Tattoo artists aren’t copy machines. There will ALWAYS be differences. Maybe you moved a little, or your body twitched a bit (often happens without people noticing at all), or that’s just how it is.
    If you posted a pic it would be easier to tell if these are the type of flaws to expect, or something actually wrong.
    If you only ask for constructive criticism you won’t get picked apart, but it’s impossible to tell without actually seeing it!

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Most tattoos have some sort of flaws in them. If you don’t put up a pic we can tell if your concerns are justified or not. If it turns out that the tattoo is poorly done we could help you get it fixed.
    Sorry we need to see it

toosday
    Participant
    @toosday

Ya I understand. To get definitive answers and opinions, you need a pic. I just don’t want to feel worse about it, I’m trying to feel better! I don’t necessarily want it critiqued, I just want to have another perspective to help me with my slight disappointment. I wanted to have a tat I was proud to show off, not something I feel like I have to google ‘not what I expected’ about. But maybe that is completely normal and maybe nobody gets exactly what they wanted. Maybe I’ve been looking at too many portfolios with artists absolute lifetime best work or hell maybe even tats they didn’t even do. I dunno. I just want to start loving it like I wanted to.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Maybe start by posting a link to the tattooist that did it. But then again with out a pic nobody can make you feel better about it. I can tell you its ok everybody has flaws in their tattoos so be happy but yours could just be bad. Let us help you and give you the truth, if it is fine and you are hypercritical about it we will tell you and you will feel better. If it is shit we also will tell you and help you fix it and get the tattoo that you deserve. Be brave.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

As the others have stated, a picture is necessary.

Putting artwork on a living thing has so many variables compared to paper, wood, or metal. Consider the projections of the Earth: Trying to map the globe on a flat surface always has some distortions.
    Over 80% of my tattoos were drawn on with sharpie markers. On a couple of them the artist “erased” the drawing and redid it. When we were both happy, he would then tattoo the image.

Good luck. Keep us posted

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

I’m sorry that you got a tattoo that you aren’t totally stoked about. That sucks.

You know that you are a bit of a perfectionist and a bit overly critical and can admit that, so go back to the artist let him know that and show them what bothers you about the tattoo. They might be able to touch it up and make you love it. They certainly want their clients to be happy, so you should give them the chance to do that.

(Disclaimer: you said his portfolio was full of good work, this advice assumes that to be true.)

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

Ttiwwop. Next time just save a shitload of money and get a tattoo from someone who has a ridiculously long wait time.
    Artist choice is critical. Dont roll the dice, put your money on a sure thing.

toosday
    Participant
    @toosday

Thanks all for the input. It’s very helpful. And sorry, I know I been asking this question all over the place, but its a big mental roadblock for me right now. Im certain that choosing a new artist would be good, and I’ve gotten some good recommendations for great artists near my area. The problem I see is that they do these great big detailed custom pieces and some of them have minimum time requirements or minimum prices. If I’m wanting a quite a bit smaller piece, and possibly a rework or add on, will a really great artist be willing to work with me? I’m worried that if I go into a shop, I’ll be relegated down to the mediocre guy who works there cuz the really great artist only does huge stuff.
    Am I right in the feeling that to get a small piece, I’ll be stuck with the middle of the ladder skill tattooers?

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

You are a pro at being vague. What do you have? what do you want? Where do you live? How Far are you willing to travel?

toosday
    Participant
    @toosday

@buttwheat 141700 wrote:

You are a pro at being vague. What do you have? what do you want? Where do you live? How Far are you willing to travel?

Haha ya that was pretty much my intention to stay vague. Well I have an arrow on my upper arm. My opinion is it’s a little less than perfect but for the most part a good tattoo. Just some glaring imperfections that I can’t stop focusing on plus the fact that it didn’t turn out exactly like the reference pic which was perfect and had many aspects I really liked. I’ve had to accept that it was never going to be a replica, but if it were better than the reference pic, that would have been pretty cool. But it’s not. Anyway, I’d add to it to detract from what I see as flaws with like a bow or compass or add color or something, but can’t figure out how to approach a stellar artist who does huge custom pieces with such a small tattoo. I figure Id be handed off to somebody else who would draw me something that I’d have to pass on. Just don’t know, is that a valid assumption? I’m in Oklahoma and drove 3.5 hrs one way to see the previous artist. One thing I guess ive learned is not to find a design I like beforehand cuz I won’t be able to end up with it.

toosday
    Participant
    @toosday

Anybody have any experience working with a highly skilled artist for a one time small tattoo? Do they tend to pass them off to the lesser skilled artists?

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@toosday 141716 wrote:

Anybody have any experience working with a highly skilled artist for a one time small tattoo? Do they tend to pass them off to the lesser skilled artists?

Sometimes they enjoy doing a quick banger for a change of pace. Never hurts to ask.

toosday
    Participant
    @toosday

U r right. I will reach out to a shop to satisfy curiosity and see what response I get, as to whether they will be open to a rework or add on, without it being a large piece.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

Last time i reached out for some small filler work they said yes. And now im a few weeks out. Never hurts to ask.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.