Pawfoot
    Participant
    @pawfoot

I’ve been in this tattoo world since before I remember, so it just seemed natural that when I began my ascent into adulthood that I would get tattoos and it be normal and no one say too much about it..
    This was when I was 16, and no one took me seriously of course…
    After years of begging my father (who has over 25 tattoos mind you) and discussing every minor or major tattoo idea that came into my head I finally turned 18 and was free to permanently place whatever I wanted to on my body.

Luckily for me growing up like I did I was immune to the stupidity of most people in my generation that suddenly see tattoos as a “fun thing to do at the time” and I had carefully planned out what I wanted, where, and who I wanted it from.

My very first tattoo was captured in these photos:

tumblr_m5fi3q6i0F1qhjp6po1_r1_500.jpg
    tumblr_m5fi3q6i0F1qhjp6po2_250.jpg
    tumblr_m5fi3q6i0F1qhjp6po3_250.jpg
    tumblr_m5fi3q6i0F1qhjp6po4_500.jpg

Nothing too big or exciting, but it was my first and I was excited.
    Now, the meaning…
    My father and I were at one point, addicted to the online crack known as World of Warcraft.
    My screen name was Pawfoot (oh lookie there)
    Later on we hiked the southern part of the Appalachain Trail, and for those that don’t know you usually are given a “trail name” that people call you.
    My fathers was “White Wolf” and I adopted the tradition and took on “Pawfoot” as my name.
    So, even though you can’t tell because I don’t “take” white ink well, the paw is supposed to be white, for my father…
    Yeah, there you go.
    Took 4 hours with a couple “pussy-out” breaks (because I’m a wimp and it was my first tattoo)
    (Dwayne Matthews, Magick Dragon Tattoo)

Now, my second tattoo took the longest, simply because I (and my artist) wanted it completely perfect.
    The story here comes before the ink.
    My mother passed away when I was three years old and before her death, this tattoo artist (whom I affectionately refer to as my “uncle”) was working on putting this on her left shoulder. After her death he took the picture and put it away in a cabinet and swore that no one else would ever receive that tattoo… that was, until I turned 18 and came knocking at his door.
    He happily dug this beaut out and did some minor edits to the water and foliage and began the long (5 6 hour sessions) process of this “memorial” piece for my mother.

Here she is:
    tumblr_mff01ysAz41qhjp6po1_1280.jpg
    (I am sorry for the crap quality here, I cannot find a photo of it that is not giant….)
    (Dwayne Mathhews, Magick Dragon Tattoo)

And lastly but not least, my third tattoo.
    Long story short since I know you are all bored of hearing me go on..
    I used to have a speech problem (like all children) and when my uncle would call me a little boy I would reply “nu-uh I’ma gir!”
    Years later my father and I fall in love with a show called Invader Zim, and a character on the show happens to be named Gir..
    So we have “matching” tattoos.

Here:

tumblr_mfs2nxOLQm1qhjp6po1_1280.jpg
    Mine is the left, father’s is right…
    (Brianna Smith, Magick Dragon Tattoo)

So that is my collection so far.
    I am itching for more, so keep expecting more 🙂

Knitrocks
    Participant
    @knitrocks

Very touchy story, about your mom passing away at such young age, and the special relationship you seem to have with your father. I like your tattoos, great symbolisms 😉 can`t wait to see more 🙂

Tyler224
    Participant
    @tyler224

Well done tattoos!
    I don’t mind if it tattoos have meanings behind them, but when they do they make them that much more special!
    Congrats! Can’t wait to see your future additions!

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

Beautiful tattoos. I appreciate you sharing your stories with us.

I just love the pegasus tattoo as a memorial for your mom. Very nice.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

The “Daddy’s little girl” with the balloons is my favorite.

Mistress_Of_Pain
    Participant
    @mistress_of_pain

I personally like all of your tattoos. They are all very well done and I love that your “uncle” dug out that piece so he could continue it on you. Very good memorial for sure!

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Very nice stories behind them, I also really like them, they look very clean to me:)

Pawfoot
    Participant
    @pawfoot

thanks everyone 🙂

I’m talking with my artist about some more ink at the moment, so I’m very excited to continue on in my collection.
    Your support is greatly appreciated!

Wardy
    Participant
    @wardy

Every tattoo has a meaning, whether or not it’s a meaning that’s personal to you is another thing.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

I like them, clean work.

But damn your artist is slow!!! Five sessions on that piece on your back?? That’s insane. My entire sleeve took about the same amount of time.
    Artists work in very very different speeds, but I’ve never heard of anyone taking that long on something like that! Good thing you’re so happy about them! 🙂

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

@poxphobia 128969 wrote:

But damn your artist is slow!!! Five sessions on that piece on your back?? That’s insane. My entire sleeve took about the same amount of time.
    Artists work in very very different speeds, but I’ve never heard of anyone taking that long on something like that! Good thing you’re so happy about them! 🙂

I thought the exact same thing when I saw the original post. I have a large and detailed piece that goes down my side from about my ribs to a few inches above my knee. And it was only about 24 hours in total. Although the artist that did it works pretty quickly. (I love that about her.)

Or maybe Pawfoot meant it was one 5 hour session and one 6 hour session? (Even that seems like an awfully long amount of time for a piece that size.)

Pawfoot
    Participant
    @pawfoot

@Wardy 128967 wrote:

Every tattoo has a meaning, whether or not it’s a meaning that’s personal to you is another thing.

I disagree, but to each his own.

and my back piece took so long because my artist and I waste plenty of time talking.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Cool beans I like the daddys little girl one

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@Pawfoot 128975 wrote:

and my back piece took so long because my artist and I waste plenty of time talking.

My artist, Anthony, was handed the task of tying four lizards done by other artists together. That is now done and he is flying. I’ve pretty much surrendered my whole right side to him. We talk about mutual ideas, then he just draws on me and runs.

I don’t want to disturb him. He is so focused he probably wouldn’t hear me anyhow.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Talking is fine, but man.. 30 hours. That is insanely slow. I would’ve guessed 6-8 hours on something like that. It’s a nice piece, but it’s not that detailed or complex really.
    I would’ve expected to see linework and shading finished in one, and then color in one.. I just can’t wrap my head around how that process must have been ;P
    But, I’m sure you didn’t pay by the hour for 30 hours at least ;p

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.