buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Welcome Nice tattoos and I think some color would look great mixed in with the portraits.

Black-and-grey-tattoo-designs-22.jpg

realistic-portrait-black-and-grey-color-tattoo-brent-olson-art-junkies-tattoo.jpg

31802_120477897975493_107798179243465_185938_1282056_n.jpg

This one didn’t turn out so well

bad-portrait-tattoo.jpg

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200
buttwheat;105237 wrote:

This one didn’t turn out so well

bad-portrait-tattoo.jpg

LOL! oh dear! a little bit of colour maybe, most of those have just little bits around them like the bloods splatters or the bits of colour shading and coloured tshirt on the little boy, but these are beautiful 1950’s esque black and white portraits 🙁 i guess if you wanted some florals in black and grey like the roses on the jesus and mary portraits they wouldnt detract too much?

each to their own i guess but i would just let them be beautiful in their own right 🙂

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
CockyBalboa;105184 wrote:
I would really like to have roses in pink and red behind my grandmothers portrait but I have not heard of or seen black and color on the same piece. What do you guys think about this? Same for my grandfather..

I love both photographs and tattoos done in black/gray with a single color to offset the whole thing. I’m actually getting a piece like this in March (B&G w/ red blood). If you look at Caesar’s work he has done this on quite a few pieces. e.g. B&G w/ roses and so forth in red.

CockyBalboa;105222 wrote:
Thanks again, The Artist is Phil Young, Hope Gallery in New Haven Conn.

The thing is I was really pumped about having colors. I am not totally set on roses but I definately want color.. Maybe I should re think my strategy a bit..?

Pete

Phil Young is a very good artist so I am sure he can pull it off.

hamsternuts
Participant
@hamsternuts

just looked in your album, and they look awesome mate

your nan had a look of Susan Hayward about her, who i believe to be one of the most beautiful women to ever live

ArniVidar
@arnividar

One way I see to be able to mix those B/G portraits with a color piece, would be to frame them. Put those B/G portraits inside a COLORED (light brown or something subtle) old-school oval wood frame. The frame would then frame the B/G piece and give way to a bunch of colors outside the frame.

Naturally, ovals are just as impossible to make perfect as circles, but I think it could look good anyway, especially if the line-work was very subtle.

CockyBalboa
Participant
@cockybalboa

Thanks so much guys for the responses. I think I’ve seen what I’m looking for. The child with the rose under him is along the lines if what I was thinking. I also have another option. Portraits of my grandmother and grandfather from my fathers side abover them on my shoulder. I never really knew them since they lived in Nigeria so if the curvature distorts them a bit it wont be as disturbing. I eventually would love to do my back but have to plan that out a bit and yes I’m in Providence Rhode island. Bout a two hour drive to go see Phil.

Pete

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.