CockyBalboa
Participant
@cockybalboa

Hey Guys, Im Pete from RI

Got my first Tattoo last month and my second this past friday. I think Im hooked as I would like to schedule for my third but have a question first.

I have two portraits of my grandparents, On both outer biceps. I choose black ink because its what my artist could make look the most realistic. I am very happy with them and his work and would like to setup for more work but first I need help.

I would really like to have roses in pink and red behind my grandmothers portrait but I have not heard of or seen black and color on the same piece. What do you guys think about this? Same for my grandfather..

Thanks in advance guys, I know this may be a stupid question but I would like a concensus before I move on.

I would post a pic but I can’t for some reason..

Regards, Pete

ArniVidar
@arnividar

If done right, I see nothing wrong with adding color into B/G pieces.

To post a pic, either upload it to an image sharing site and copy the Forum code into here, or upload it to your album on these forums and put the BB code beneath the uploaded image into a post 🙂

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

i dont see any problems with adding some colour elements either, as long as you are sensible about the style and colours you use to fit with the style of portrait you have i dont see it being and issue 🙂 x

CockyBalboa
Participant
@cockybalboa

Ok put the pics in my gallery thanks..

Pete

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Also, personally I think that red goes VERY well with B/G, but it has to be skillfully placed to enhance and not overdo.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

they’re looking pretty good babe, tbh i would be begrudged to add too much to them as they look pretty sweet as they are! up to you of course but they look really nice and classic like that 🙂

CockyBalboa
Participant
@cockybalboa

Thanks guys and thanks for the compliment Kat. My original intension was to get a sleeve on one arm and have them both on the same arm. When I went to have my GF put on he did not want to do it on the shoulder above my grandmother, He said that his line work was too distorted by my shoulders curvature. I agreed because I did not want the portrai unless it looked exactly like them. Now as you can imagine, I have to have my sleeve appropriate for their portrait. I thought pink and red roses on my grandmother would look good. Starting just below her and going up to my shoulder..

Any thoughts with that said?

Pete

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

would you just have roses or would you be planning to put some other elements in as well, just roses might be a bit much? also would you then be planning to put something around your grandfather’s portrait also? as otherwise you have gone from two matching symmetrical sleeves to one and a portrait? 🙂

CockyBalboa
Participant
@cockybalboa

Thanks, I was thinking like a full bouquet faded in, Leaving approx. 1/2″ between her hair and the start of color on all sides of her, Maybe to create some contrast and protect from too much confusion. Just the roses sweetheart 😉 The asymetry doesnt bother me that much since originally I just wanted to sleeve one arm and call it a day..

Are there any pictures you can direct me to? Maybe something of the sort?

Thanks so much, Pete

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

i think the problem is that, because you have such lovely photo real portraits if you start adding traditional style roses they might overpower the image a bit, a lot of portraits with florals that i have seen are usually bright colour portraits or traditional style portraits, would you consider a different kind of flower to roses maybe? then there’s the possibility to find something a bit less ostentatious and more naturally flowing with the piece. do you definitely want the flowers in colour?

oh i really wish you would leave them as they are because they’re so lovely! lol 😀

Adler
Participant
@adler
kittykat200;105219 wrote:
i think the problem is that, because you have such lovely photo real portraits if you start adding traditional style roses they might overpower the image a bit, a lot of portraits with florals that i have seen are usually bright colour portraits or traditional style portraits, would you consider a different kind of flower to roses maybe? then there’s the possibility to find something a bit less ostentatious and more naturally flowing with the piece. do you definitely want the flowers in colour?

oh i really wish you would leave them as they are because they’re so lovely! lol 😀

This just about sums up my opoinion as well. You want to be careful about distracting too much from the main subject matter which is of course the portrait. Adding bold, colorful flowers will do just that, leave it alone or add something more subtle.
By the way, nice tattoos…who’s the artist?

CockyBalboa
Participant
@cockybalboa

Thanks again, The Artist is Phil Young, Hope Gallery in New Haven Conn.

The thing is I was really pumped about having colors. I am not totally set on roses but I definately want color.. Maybe I should re think my strategy a bit..?

Pete

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

would you maybe just consider a colour piece elsewhere? you have an awful lot of skin elsewhere that you could fill up with some amazing colourwork! *cough* BACKPIECE *cough* lol

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

As an artist myself, I think that if you add a bit of color to a tattoo that is primarily black and grey, you risk it looking like its unfinished. I say leave it as it was meant to be.

Adler
Participant
@adler
CockyBalboa;105222 wrote:
Thanks again, The Artist is Phil Young, Hope Gallery in New Haven Conn.

The thing is I was really pumped about having colors. I am not totally set on roses but I definately want color.. Maybe I should re think my strategy a bit..?

Pete

I’m familiar with that shop, I’ve been tattooed by Tim Harris. I know there’s an infrequent member here who’s been tattooed by Young, also. Are you from that area?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.