NickPrender
Participant
@nickprender

check it out let me know your thoughts. I used the reference of a famous model as a side profile.

kelso.jpg

Adler
Participant
@adler

I’d like to see the reference. Maybe that would change my opinion but I don’t really like it. I love gypsies and lady head tattoos and from what I’ve seen and read they can be very difficult to execute well. I’ve looked at a ton of gypsy tattoos and they do seem very hit or miss. I’m not an artist so I can’t give a good critique but I just don’t like this too much at all. The linework in the hair and head wrap looks pretty bad, the flower is unproportionately big and poorly shaded, the face seems flat and I don’t care for the colors in the face either. Other than that it’s great. Sorry man, just my honest opinion. But I’ve seen some good artists do gypsies poorly so they really must be hard to do.

NickPrender
Participant
@nickprender

Haha other than everything it’s great? Thanks for the opinion. I agree the line work looks a bit off on the head band. Really its from uploading the photo onto the computer. In terms of volume most traditional gypsy faces tend to be rather flat? High volume versions are cool and all but my client wants an old school look with my personal touch.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Good work Nick

NickPrender
Participant
@nickprender

Thanks man. Much appreciated

Adler
Participant
@adler

I really didn’t mean to sound too harsh. For where you’re at you’re doing nice work, this just isn’t one of my favorites. And you’re right, the old school traditional gypsy faces are rather flat. I generally prefer the slightly neo-traditional style so maybe that’s effecting my opinion.

NickPrender
Participant
@nickprender

No worries man no tears from these eyes. We all have different critiques i personally was really pumped for where I’m at my. My mentor was beyond happy. Gimme a break I’ve been apprenticing 3 months haha. But really man you aren’t half as harsh as my mentor

Parademic
Participant
@parademic

I think besides the flower and some of the linework it looks decent!

ArniVidar
@arnividar
NickPrender;92319 wrote:
My mentor was beyond happy. Gimme a break I’ve been apprenticing 3 months haha.

I thought you didn’t have an apprenticeship yet?

NickPrender
Participant
@nickprender

What made you think that mang? All my posts have(for the most part) said apprenticeship tattoos

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Oh, just me being stupid. Mixing you up with Dave the Van. 🙂

Amok
Participant
@amok

Opinions vary of course, as long as the client is happy it’s all good!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.