Shoegazer
Participant
@shoegazer

Hello,

I received this tattoo about 5 weeks ago. I had researched local artists and checked portfolios pretty well and selected a well-regarded artist. I followed the care directions religiously but it seemed there were some scabs on it for a long time, and in retrospect, they seem to coincide with some lighter patches where it looks like ink was missed. Also, as the tat healed, it seemed some sections of lines “ran” or perhaps this is the dreaded “blow-out”. Now overall, I’m not too terribly disappointed with it – I always planned to extend around it onto the shoulder and upper arm and I think it looks fine from the normal distance most people will see it.

Here are my questions:

1) Was there “blow-out” on the thin lines?

2) Would you feel entitled to a “touch-up” by the artist if you were me?

3) Would you recommend I go straight to another artist?

IMG_4469.jpg

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

1. yes

2. yes

3. yes

clay1680
@

totally agree with nukka^^^ those are for sure the dreaded blow-out. and going to another artist would be a smart decision. as for the tattoo design it seems not thought through completely by the artist and could have been stronger by not leaving all that open space. goodluck with getting that piece fixed up it shouldnt be too difficult if you find a better artist to finish it up for you.

Adler
Participant
@adler

Agree with the above posts but not alot of artists want to fix someone else’s poor tattoo job.

Shoegazer
Participant
@shoegazer
clay1680;86840 wrote:
totally agree with nukka^^^ those are for sure the dreaded blow-out. and going to another artist would be a smart decision. as for the tattoo design it seems not thought through completely by the artist and could have been stronger by not leaving all that open space. goodluck with getting that piece fixed up it shouldnt be too difficult if you find a better artist to finish it up for you.

Well, the photo angle sort of makes the open spaces look bigger in the photo than they actually are in profile. It’s a well-known crop circle design and the design is faithful to that. I think if someone else just makes some of those lines slightly thicker now to account for the blowout, much of it will be fixed.

So now I’m a little perplexed – this artist is very well regarded and a lot of people with beautiful tats swore by them. Was it just a bad day?

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
Shoegazer;86858 wrote:
So now I’m a little perplexed – this artist is very well regarded and a lot of people with beautiful tats swore by them. Was it just a bad day?

Most people don’t know shit about tattoos so it doesn’t take much to be well thought of in a neighborhood. Do you have a link to this artist? He may have been having a bad day and not give 2 shits about your tattoo.

ZombieKiller
Participant
@zombiekiller

Scared, nice and scared. Most of the outer rings will bleed together. Would have done so even if the tattoo was applied properly. Your artist should have thought ahead for you and made adequate space between those lines. The blown out lines can be sculpted. At least the rings are fairly concentric.

Shoegazer
Participant
@shoegazer
ZombieKiller;86897 wrote:
Scared, nice and scared. Most of the outer rings will bleed together. Would have done so even if the tattoo was applied properly. Your artist should have thought ahead for you and made adequate space between those lines. The blown out lines can be sculpted. At least the rings are fairly concentric.

Don’t be scared, it’s not like it’s permanent or anything. Wait, shit… 😀

The artist actually mentioned to me the risk of the outer circles eventually closing together and that he’d modify the gap to try and prevent that. It sure didn’t sound like a forgone conclusion in his mind at the time or I would have been concerned. But I guess the leading opinion is that enough was not left anyway? What if they were filled with another color now? Wouldn’t stop it?

Live and learn I suppose. Worst case scenario, I think there’s a lot that can be done to it in the future. I plan on continuing up the shoulder and around the upper arm. I sure appreciate all the all the brutally honest comments, they’ve been VERY helpful and I feel the next time I sit down in the chair, I just might be slightly wiser.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.