onthejazz
Participant
@onthejazz

Hiya here’s my first tattoo had it done last week,please let me know what u think thanks

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

Eh.
The flowers and the waves don’t really do it for me.

But if you like it, then that’s all that really matters.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

Not feelin’ it either, sorry.

The 3d parts of it don’t pop the way they should, the water doesn’t look right and the scales are all out of whack. Add to that the goofy looking flowers/airplane propellers and it just doesn’t come together. It’s not the worst I’ve seen but it’s a 4 out of 10 at best.

looney bin escapee
Participant
@looney-bin-escapee

not a big fan of koi.

……the water looks like puffy ribbons.

onthejazz
Participant
@onthejazz

Thanks for the comments,I really liked it but now I’m not so sure. does anyone like it?

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

I am a big koi fan – always have been and I can see where your artist was taking this. Ie a bit of a surreal jumping off the shoulder blade approach.

Personally I like the flower shapes it is different and breaks from the usual or traditional style.

As for opinions – everybody has one and what one person likes another will loathe that is the way of things.

If you want som contructive criticism to get the best from your ink;

You need to bolden out the eye and give it a bit more fill.

Add some more highlights to the water edges.

Add some more flowers or peyals floating around the fish.

The scales need a little more highlights or darker shading – nothing major.

Maybe add some wind bars.

These are just suggestions overall I like where the ink is heading.

Take Care
Matthew

onthejazz
Participant
@onthejazz

Thanks for the comment,I understand what the other guys r saying I’ve got to go back this week coz he wants to have a look at it,don’t know if that means he needs to check if he’s missed bits or if it needs more colour? Shall I tell him I want more or will that upset him? I really am new to this

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

No the key thing is communication with your artist – he wants you to be happy and wants his work to impress others.

The key thing is explain about the things that you think need touching up (not what others think). If you want to extend the tattoo there maybe an extra charge but most artists in general will do free touchups on work already done.

It just needs a few minor corrections and don’t get hung up about it.

Here is an example I was in the steam room at my gym and a guy spent 30 mins banging on about how much better my ink should be ‘If only I had done X’.

He had a huge black blob of a tattoo on his arm and when I asked him what it was he proudly told me it was a pit bull head.

Now to me it looked a bag of shite but he was happy with it. This was not a tit for tat thing his ink just did nothing for me and mine was the same to him.

Ink is personal so don’t be worried about getting it how you want it.

Take care
Matthew

WonderInk6
@

I actually like it, and I think as long as you like it that’s all that matters. Don’t let other people’s opinions affect you

LINK REMOVED

onthejazz
Participant
@onthejazz

Thanks for the info ill have a word when I go in on sat.I think a couple of the scales need touching up looks like the ink has come out if that’s what u call it,I’m already planing my next one on the other side any ideas? Thanks again

rusrious
Participant
@rusrious

Going to be honest with ya Jazz, it could be wayyyyy nicer, good thinkin. just the artist, as you can see, isn’t that good.. Go to a better artist, and have him/her redo the water at-least..

DONT GO BACK TO THE SAME DUDE, reguardless if touch-up free or not.. Let someone else mess with it, because in the end, thats the differance between a ok tat and a great tat. It can defitily be fixed up nice..

Good Luck

onthejazz
Participant
@onthejazz

thanks for the comments,will another tatt shop touch it? ive read on here that they can be funny having to touch someone elses work

Jubakuba
Participant
@jubakuba

I’ll restate what others have said to you…
We’re tattoo enthusiasts.
Many of us eat-sleep-breath tattoos.
We’re a harsh bunch of people!

That being said…
Many of us also have regrettable ink.
My first piece…wasn’t the best. I got it touched up by another artist.
The thing is…we learn that tattoos are just as much an art form as anything else…be it painting, sculpting, architecture, music, whatever!

This (being your first) is awesome, if you ask me. The line-work is actually pretty clean…the japanese style just probably isn’t something your artist specializes in. He/She did a noble attempt at recreating their own spin on it…it just came out a little bit…forced…I would say.
You have a piece that is VERY much fixable. Others end up getting horrible, all-black, LARGE, ugly, scratcher tattoos. These pieces are not so fun to fix.

Another artist would fix this tattoo, I’m sure.
The problem there is that artists don’t like messing with chewed-up meat…
They don’t want to work on a crap piece…doing their best…and have it come out fairly decent. They want their best work. But again…this is very much fixable.
I’d simply approach the artist and tell them that you liked the art you saw in the other person’s portfolio…but it just didn’t work out like you had hoped. Tell them that you are really unhappy but know that with their expertise, this piece will come out AWESOME. Flatter the artist a bit…and show them your tattoo. They would probably be more than willing to help you.

onthejazz
Participant
@onthejazz

Thanks for the reply,I’m learning so much from u guys and understand a lot more about the tattoo world thanks again

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

Another way to get an artist to pay attention to you is cash. Don’t be a dick about it but let them know that you know you are asking for something that might be uncomfortable and you are willing to make it worth their while if they take the time to fix it. That was a really long sentence but hopefully you got the point.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.