Vendrus
Participant
@vendrus

Hokay, I’m very new to the process of getting a tattoo, if not the concept.
I’ve been working on/off over the last couple of years to try and find something I want, and I think I’ve finally come up with something I like:

worldtree2-2.jpg

It’s clearly incomplete, but before I spend any more time on completing it, I’d like to have some suggestions at to whether it’s a viable (or sane) design. All that really needs doing is filling in the dragon and cleaning up/editing the branches, as is.

Also, if I were to take this to a tattoo artist with no expectation of any further design work needing to be done on their part, what would I need? I believe I’d need outlines, which I can still provide given I’ve been drawing on layers, but is there anything else?

(Any further suggestions as to the design itself, ie additions or areas to work on would also be most gratefully recieved)

((In case of any interest, the design is centred around the norse creation myth – the tree is the Ash Yggdrasil, the dragon Niddhogg))

(((Yeah, just realised I put this in the wrong subforum, apologies, I read ‘tattoo designs’ and didn’t scroll down further. Great start here xD )))

ljfran2383
Participant
@ljfran2383

wow. excellent drawing, what kinda colors are you looking to do one it? it would look sick with bright blue/green/orange.

the base looks rather…incomplete….I’m not sure what your trying to make it look like..broken glass maybe?

good progress though, cant wait to see this transfer to ink!

seaofc
Participant
@seaofc

I like it. Definitely a unique design. Just finish up the details at the bottom and make sure there are some bold colors to it and good shading, it will be an awesome piece.

Vendrus
Participant
@vendrus

Fingers crossed this latest version will clear up what’s going on at the bottom, or else I have a lot more work to do, heh.

As for colour, I wasn’t planning on getting any really (I have light skin, black will show up very well).
If I were to, I was more thinking along the lines of brown/green/gold (and probably red on the dragon), I wouldn’t know how to put bright colours into something like that xD ((That and for my sins, being a student, it’s going to take me a good while to save up the rest of what I’m likely to need to get it done))

worldtree2-3.jpg

Vendrus
Participant
@vendrus

Doesn’t help that never having drawn a tattoo before, I’ve no real idea how to colour one.
Best attempt (not particularly neat, that’s easy to fix):

worldtree2-4.jpg

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

I prefer it in black and white, personally.

But I can see how some perspective might be lost at that size…Maybe just colour the dragon and then the end the branches fading into your skin as it gets further from the tip?

Poesy

Jlin
Participant
@jlin

Before the colors it was really difficult for me to make out the dragon, especially the wings, I must admit. Have you thought about putting the dragon a bit more in the focus? Maybe make it a bit larger?

Just a suggestion, overall I love the piece, I think it’s a great design! I really like the colours, too, the yellow brown and green work well together. Not too sure about the red though… Feels like you are compensating for the dragon not being so in the focus by making it bright red, I don’t know how to explain it, sorry.

Vendrus
Participant
@vendrus

Jlin: Niddhogg is usually depicted as red, but I can see what you mean, it does look awkward. I’m going to mess around with colours a bit and see what I can do, maybe put up a few smaller images of different versions.

Poesy: I could probably compensate for the lack of perspective by amping up the greyscale shading. I like that idea a lot.

Back to the drawing board! (Literally ๐Ÿ˜ฎ )

Vendrus
Participant
@vendrus

Messing around landed me with:

worldtree21.jpg worldtree22.jpg worldtree23-1.jpg worldtree24.jpg

Jlin
Participant
@jlin

Top left: The dark red looks a lot nicer imo and goes better with the other colors.

Top right: Leaving the dragon uncolored while the rest is colored makes it stand out less than if it’s colored in too. May also look a bit unfinished, because people might think that you still have to get the dragon colored in?

Bottom left: Dragon has my attention first, the rest feels more like background and is not identified so easily.

Bottom right: Personally don’t like the two colors in the dragon, can’t really put my finger on it but not my thing.

I think I’d go full color ๐Ÿ™‚ You have a lot of detail in the piece which just gets a bit lost if it’s all B & G imo.

Vendrus
Participant
@vendrus

Jlin: Nice to get a bit of confirmation on that, the top left was probably my favourite too, though I’m keeping 3 in mind. xD
Time to neaten it up and keep saving >.<

Thanks so much to everyone for the advice ๐Ÿ™‚

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

oooh, I like number 3! Good contrast

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.