Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

I agree with everyone else. You have to split the issue down the middle:

one on hand…. It’s really cool that you got something that resonates with you. A lot of people go into a shop and say ” I want that” pointing to some shit flash work on the wall. You gave yourself something meaningful so no matter what it is/looks like, it’s perfect to you. I was a deadhead myself for a few years before I started touring with Phish so I understand why this means a lot to you.

On the other… I think the other people were being a little easy. I think the lines are shaky, the shading is way off, the skull is off balance and the script looks like an 8 year old did it. While the quality of this work is not the worst I’ve seen, it’s no better than say a 3.5 out of 10 in my book. In the future make sure you find the right artist to do the work for you. this could have been a really great tattoo with an artist that had a bit more skill. Did I read that it was free? Well, from a quality stand point you got what you paid for.

All in all, stay proud and don’t let a bunch of stuck up tattoo snobs get you down about your tat.

NeverBSatisfied
Participant
@neverbsatisfied
realitybias;68210 wrote:
I am so excited to have gotten my very first tattoo. My friends all seem to love it. I absolutely love it. It has profound meaning to me and my life history, and is something I will wear proudly no matter what. Regardless of its meaning and value to me, though, I do appreciate the aesthetic analysis of anything like this, especially tattoos. I got it done for free, but the guy is a professional, he works out of a well cared for shop with good equipment. He is rather new though, only been working for a year… it was my going away present considering I just graduated college.

Tell me what you think, the good and the bad. I am not afraid to hear any of it! Thanks for taking the time out of your day.

tatt.jpg

Looks half assed to me, and mainly the skull and lighting bolt kind of looks smashed all together in a small space compared to what it should have been when taking the whole piece and recognition into consideration. The skull is horribly miss-placed and is not proportioned whatsoever and does NOT line up with the focal point of the art. The right side of the wings is a completley different take on the left side of the wings. The Lighting bolt if you will is done sloppy as well and seems to lack detail in the comparison to your design.

For a free tattoo, it’s not bad, I’ve seen many, many worse. This is a pretty decent tattoo as I think the shading was done OKAY, but it could and should have been done much, much, much better and many things are off about it. If you would have paid a significant amount of money, then I’d be pissed, but this seems to have a strong meaning to you, so if you like it, and if you got it done at no costs, I’d wear it proud.

If you want to go into a different direction, cover that S.O.B up eventually with something else to your liking, then re-do the entire tat all over again on another part of your canvas with a professional then you’d know exactly what we’re talking about.

KJD2121
Participant
@kjd2121

Wow, That’s bad. I’m certainly glad I paid for my tattoo!!!

Next time get an artist with some time under his belt. Like maybe 10 years or so. Looks like a grade school drawing.

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

It’s pretty bad, but I’ve definitely seen worse.

I think NeverBSatified had a great suggestion, maybe later down the line you can cover it up and get that somewhere else, especially if it has sentimental value to you.

Luckily, it’s not in a spot that people are going to see unless you’re walking around with out a shirt on.

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

i have seen worst !!!

AhshKoshBGosh
Participant
@ahshkoshbgosh
realitybias;68232 wrote:
Man now people are telling me its horrible on these forums, lol. I know it’s not fantastic, it does have a lot of personal meaning to me though. Should I be embarrassed to take my shirt off until I get it covered or something? I mean people who have seen it IRL seem pretty stoked about it… but damn, from the opinions of those on the high end of the business, it’s utter scheise. I thought I liked it a lot, now I’m second guessing myself.

Anything I can do it clean it up and make it marginally better?

Also, as far as a new tattoo, I’ve got to put a lot of thought into it. It took a year of thought to confirm this was the first one I wanted.

No lol dont cover it up and dont worry about posts of harsh criticism like i said in a previous post about ppl asking for opinions on their tatts, pretty much ask and you shall receive. tho ya might not like what you hear just take it in stride.

seriously that is your first tatt and since it has meaning to it then be proud of it!!!

AhshKoshBGosh
Participant
@ahshkoshbgosh
Poesy;68239 wrote:
Hey, no, you’ve posted your picture on a forum that is filled with tattoo enthusiasts, so the criticism is going to be severe. I don’t have my first yet so I’m not particularly well versed, and I don’t think yours is worse than a huge lot I see around me at the moment. It has flaws yeah, but most people aren’t going to sit staring at it specifically looking for flaws.

Don’t let other people’s opinion make you doubt it. Look at your original post and what you’re saying now. This is YOUR tattoo, not anyone elses. i know you wanted opinion and it’s really good that you can take criticism so well, but don’t instantly start worrying about it. See how you feel in a few months.

Also, I’m getting a meaningful tattoo. Yeah, I want it to look fantastic, but hey, I personally believe that art on your body, however beautiful, should mean something to you – that’s why you have it on your body right? Sure, you can take the aesthetics view of Knighthawk’s, that art is most important for opinion, but that doesn’t make it the cemented law of what you HAVE to look for in a tattoo. I think art should have meaning.

Sorry I wish I had seen this post before I had posted… you said it better than me Poesy!

Joshy
Participant
@joshy

A little advice –

Don’t let other peoples opinoins discard you. Aslong as the tattoo has some meaning to you and you like it. Thats all that matters.

KJD2121
Participant
@kjd2121
Joshy;68732 wrote:
A little advice –

Don’t let other peoples opinoins discard you. Aslong as the tattoo has some meaning to you and you like it. Thats all that matters.

I believe the word should be “Dissuede”

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.