Lilystar88
Participant
@lilystar88

@Call_me_Lola 144910 wrote:

Your artist is going to have to be really good, I mean REALLY good to execute this well. That is a lot of characters and they (and the spacing) are going to have to be neat, even, straight and consistant or it is going to be a mess. Good luck with that.

Well, I guess that wasn’t very encouraging.

But you do make a good point. Would you recommend I look at previous work first to make sure they can do it? Is there any way I can make sure that they could do it?

Lilystar88
Participant
@lilystar88

@NorCalDan 144914 wrote:

I’m not saying it’s a bad idea or not to get it,all I’m saying is get the right artist to do it,and it’s silly you think nobody else will see it.you will wear a bikini or tank top at some point in your life ! right !?!?

Thank you. I will research as much as I can before I get it.

And yes, inevitably at some point, but not as much as you think.

I live in Scotland (cold) so there are about three days per year it gets hot enough to wear something that doesn’t cover my full back. Even then, I’m self concious and rarely wear anything that exposes my back. I hate swimming so I do that on a limited number of occasions, and when I do I wear quite a covering swimsuit.

I know that people will see it sometimes if I bend to pick something up, and of course people will probably see it if they see me without a top on. However it’ll be less seen than if something was on my arm, leg or chest.

Lilystar88
Participant
@lilystar88

@Afink87 144919 wrote:

I hope your pious and well mannered. I purposely don’t get religious tattoos and def not bumper stickers, cause I’m a bitch and I don’t want to represent my faith negatively.

Pious? Ehh in a sense. I’m sure we can have a religious debate somewhere else on the forum if you’re interested. As for well mannered. Most of the time I’ve got a naturally friendly personality but we’re all human. I do know my culture however, and know my culture won’t take deep offence at a tattoo such as this.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

It’s not about other people being offended. No one cares about that. I can’t see the picture you have posted but judging by all the comments so far it would seem you are proposing a column of text, specifically one or more of the psalms from the bible, in the middle of your back down your spine.

My opinion, (but only because you asked for it) is this:
1.) Why are you wasting the most important tattoo real estate on your body on text?
2.) A lot of script if not done by a master, looks tacky, blurry, uneven and generally sloppy
3.) Tattoos are addictive, I would be very surprised if you stopped after this one, therefore see point 1 again… A few years down the line when you’re better immersed in tattoo culture and can really see all it has to offer you will wish you hadn’t wasted your biggest, flattest piece of skin on some script(ure)
4.) A religious debate is not required you simply need to be aware that permanently tattoo religious anything onto your skin means that people will occasionally ask you religion based questions regarding your ethics and behaviour if you are walking around touting scripture as if you live by it.
5.) Pain on and around your spine isn’t as painful as other boney areas such as ribs, chest, elbow, knee etc. It cant be quite tingly in areas due to nerve endings etc but generally I didn’t notice. The not to say you should become complacent and think it will be a walk in the park. Tattoos hurt… Event the ones that dont hurt in relation to all the others, they hurt…
I would expect you to pay FAR more that £100 for 3 hours work, if not, turn around, walk out and keep looking.

Hope that helps!

Lilystar88
Participant
@lilystar88

@kittykat200 144944 wrote:

It’s not about other people being offended. No one cares about that. I can’t see the picture you have posted but judging by all the comments so far it would seem you are proposing a column of text, specifically one or more of the psalms from the bible, in the middle of your back down your spine.

My opinion, (but only because you asked for it) is this:
1.) Why are you wasting the most important tattoo real estate on your body on text?
2.) A lot of script if not done by a master, looks tacky, blurry, uneven and generally sloppy
3.) Tattoos are addictive, I would be very surprised if you stopped after this one, therefore see point 1 again… A few years down the line when you’re better immersed in tattoo culture and can really see all it has to offer you will wish you hadn’t wasted your biggest, flattest piece of skin on some script(ure)
4.) A religious debate is not required you simply need to be aware that permanently tattoo religious anything onto your skin means that people will occasionally ask you religion based questions regarding your ethics and behaviour if you are walking around touting scripture as if you live by it.
5.) Pain on and around your spine isn’t as painful as other boney areas such as ribs, chest, elbow, knee etc. It cant be quite tingly in areas due to nerve endings etc but generally I didn’t notice. The not to say you should become complacent and think it will be a walk in the park. Tattoos hurt… Event the ones that dont hurt in relation to all the others, they hurt…
I would expect you to pay FAR more that £100 for 3 hours work, if not, turn around, walk out and keep looking.

Hope that helps!

Yeah you’re right about what the tattoo is.

I understand that tattoos are addictive, but considering my low pain threshold and limited income (I’m also saving for a car), I don’t think I’ll be getting more.

But this talk of master tattoo artists and the fact I need one of them if I’m getting finite script…how much are we talking? and where do we find one? I’m okay with paying more (originally my friend’s tattoo artist is £60 an hour, so that’s £180 for 3 hours). Is there any way I can review their work and see what they can do beforehand to make sure they’ll do it properly.

I live in Scotland if anyone was wondering. So if anyone knows people who can do that in Scotland then that would be preferable.

And yeah I get it that people may ask questions and things and I’m comfortable with that. Most of the verses are worship poetry which isn’t as controversial as some of the other stuff out there.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

There are some really good artists up and around Scotland, you just need to look for them. You need a steady hand and a good eye, you also need to consider the natural curvature of your back which could make script appear wonky. You say you’re saving for a car so you probably wont get another tattoo, but judging by your writing style I imagine you’re quite young. Maybe early twenties? Late teens? In which case you have potentially another 60 years to see and crave and want and get tattoos and you’re using the best space first. If that’s what you’re going to do you’re going to do it. My mother told me not to get a batman tattoo but… well… that happened so whatever. I’m simply suggesting you think very carefully about the what and where because you have no idea what your feelings will be a few years from now. Like they say a tattoo is permanent reminder of a temporary feeling. so make sure that feeling is one you’re happy to live with for the rest of your life.

As for cost, once you find someone you are confident you can do the job, (look up artists online, check their portfolios on facebook, websites and instagram, feel free to post their work on here, you’ll soon be told if they are any good) they will tell you how much they cost. Some artists give an hourly rate, some per piece. Unknown but talented artists are around and cheap but I wouldn’t seek them out if you have the opportunity at the best.

Lilystar88
Participant
@lilystar88

@kittykat200 144949 wrote:

There are some really good artists up and around Scotland, you just need to look for them. You need a steady hand and a good eye, you also need to consider the natural curvature of your back which could make script appear wonky. You say you’re saving for a car so you probably wont get another tattoo, but judging by your writing style I imagine you’re quite young. Maybe early twenties? Late teens? In which case you have potentially another 60 years to see and crave and want and get tattoos and you’re using the best space first. If that’s what you’re going to do you’re going to do it. My mother told me not to get a batman tattoo but… well… that happened so whatever. I’m simply suggesting you think very carefully about the what and where because you have no idea what your feelings will be a few years from now. Like they say a tattoo is permanent reminder of a temporary feeling. so make sure that feeling is one you’re happy to live with for the rest of your life.

As for cost, once you find someone you are confident you can do the job, (look up artists online, check their portfolios on facebook, websites and instagram, feel free to post their work on here, you’ll soon be told if they are any good) they will tell you how much they cost. Some artists give an hourly rate, some per piece. Unknown but talented artists are around and cheap but I wouldn’t seek them out if you have the opportunity at the best.

Wow you’re really good at deducing things. 19 in August.

And I get what you’re saying, but unfortunately I am really stubborn (sometimes too stubborn for my own good). However if I really want something else in years to come I’ll save for it, remove it if I can, or do something interesting around it. But I’m sure I want this. These words got me through a very dark time in my life. It’s poetry that ties in with faith, so it’s perfect for me.

I’ll look around for sure. Probably go in for consultations as well. Do stencils help with artists when they are tattooing?

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

You’ll need to take them the script that you want, then they will ask you to choose a font (for the love of god avoid anything old English!) then they will draw it all up for you, when choosing a script font try not to go overly fancy, make sure the font size is big enough that it is readable without blurring into itself. The fancier the font the harder it will be to read as time goes on. I realise that you wont read it because it will be on your back but that’s no excuse for it to look sloppy due to a poor font choice.

Also, if you’re already considering the possibility of lasering it to make room for something else later, put it somewhere different to begin with.

Lilystar88
Participant
@lilystar88

I’m a fantasy writer, so anything old english is irresistible to me but I see your point. Would times new roman be okay? (or something very similar)

And yeah I’m not really considering lasering. Just trying to…cover all my options? I don’t know but there’s no where I’d want this other than my spine. And nothing I’d want on my body forever than these words.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

I can’t view the page because Im on a restricted work computer so i’ll have to let one of the others answer that question. Buttwheat will always give you an honest answer and has excellent taste, same to be said for Arnivadar, PeterPoose, yodaddynukka… they will be able to point you in some good directions until I can get on to a piece of technology that doesn’t block all the good bits.

Lilystar88
Participant
@lilystar88

Okay thank you. I’m not sure Buttwheat approves of my tattoo choice given his previous post, but recommendations on the place would still be appreciated from anyone since I have little experience when it comes to tattoos

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

There will always be someone who doesn’t like your choice. My mother hates all of mine so whatever. No one here is really going to advocate an entire back piece worth of religious scripture because frankly its just a damn waste of space and you’re talking to people who are interested in tattooing for the artistry. However, like you said, you’re a stubborn 18 year old kid and you’ve decided you wont be swayed (just like everyone else on this forum has been and possibly still is – yes buttwheat I’m talking to you) but, they WILL be able to give you advice regarding good artists. That’s what we do here. (Or at least some of us lol)

I shit you not I got asked the other day if I knew someone who could do a piece of a T-Rex on a skateboard breathing fire while juggling nunchucks… weirdest fucking shit I ever heard, but I did know someone who could pull it off and make it not look horrific so I pointed him in their direction and had no further involvement! lol

(I’m now waiting for the men folk to tell me off for not thinking that’s the coolest tattoo idea anyone ever had…)

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Just remember studios don’t give you tattoos tattooists do. Pablo Jar’s work looks pretty solid

Afink87
Participant
@afink87

I don’t even remember the OG question lol. Wait a year or two before you get this tat. Kitty is right you WILL want more, and you will regret not having gotten something more creative and artistic.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.