Cobalt57
Participant
@cobalt57

HI All,

Last Saturday I started a cover-up on a 12 year old piece. As the artist was working on my arm, about 1 1/2 hrs into the session, my arm starting to really bleed (only during shading), it was bleeding so much that as he wiped off the blood the ink that he applied came off as well. Does anyone have any ideas as to what can be happening?
Again, its only during shading, and not immediate.

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

Welcome to the forum!

I’m on an aspirin regimen to keep my blood thin account of cardio vascular conditions.
I sometimes consume alcohol prior to getting tattooed.
The only time bleeding was an issue was on tattoo work just below my elbow. That time I hadn’t used alcohol.

Different places bleed worse than others. Conditions must have been right for bleeding. What had you done prior to the work?

Cobalt57
Participant
@cobalt57

I hadn’t done anything physical. Woke up, took a shower, ate breakfast and drove to his shop.
The artist says that I am really tensing up causing more bleeding. I don’t feel it, but he knows.
The biggest issue is that the ink is coming off with the blood.

Call_me_Lola
Participant
@call_me_lola

The last time that I had bleeding issues was due to low blood sugar. (Which we figured out when I nearly went down!) The artist sent out for some food, we ate, then went back at ‘er. The bleeding was no longer a problem, and we got through several more hours without a problem.

Now I make sure to bring snacks and eat a handful of food every time the artist takes a break. If they take a call or have a smoke, I go straight for my snacks. Haven’t had any bleeding or low blood sugar problems since.

I also try to eat iron rich foods (lotsa STEAK!!) in the weeks leading up to an appointment. My local artist once commented that I might want to get my iron levels checked because I tended to be a bit of a bleeder, although it wasn’t anything that was a problem. The extra iron seems to help, she hasn’t mentioned it again.

(SAM – you sometimes consume alcohol prior to an appointment and haven’t had a problem??? Maybe I will be able to have a few bevvies next weekend, after all. I usually abstain for 24 hours before an appointment, but …. I’ll be on vacation so …. maybe a couple wouldn’t hurt. I’ll let you know how the experiment goes!)

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

@Call_me_Lola 144559 wrote:

(SAM – you sometimes consume alcohol prior to an appointment and haven’t had a problem??? Maybe I will be able to have a few bevvies next weekend, after all. I usually abstain for 24 hours before an appointment, but …. I’ll be on vacation so …. maybe a couple wouldn’t hurt. I’ll let you know how the experiment goes!)

Where I get my back worked on (Drop of Ink) is almost across the street from Johnny Joe’s. A place known for their pizza and Stromboli. If I have time I’ll have several glasses of Merlot and a cheese steak Stromboli.
At En V Ink in Selinsgrove, Steak and bourbon seem to work.

I avoid beer because , as Archie Bunker said, you only rent it.(I do seem to bleed more if I drink Gin)

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

I have a question but what do you mean but “when i bleed the ink comes off with it?” Its perfectly normal for some of the colouration to be mixed into the blood while it is fresh but i highly doubt it is being sucked out of your skin layer so that nothing is there when you heal??

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

@kittykat200 144565 wrote:

I have a question but what do you mean but “when i bleed the ink comes off with it?” Its perfectly normal for some of the colouration to be mixed into the blood while it is fresh but i highly doubt it is being sucked out of your skin layer so that nothing is there when you heal??

Interesting question. When I started getting tattoos the lubricant of choice was A&D ointment. When I took a shower the ink would just run out. Since switching to a lube without petroleum, or cod liver oil, the ink stays put. The petroleum is rejected by your body, and the ink is pushed out with it. I now use Redemption when getting tattooed, and a cocoa butter based ointment for aftercare.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

weird. aside from the usual scabbing etc i have never experienced in running out of a tattoo! i tend to use the tiniest bit fo bepanthen only when it starts to get dry in the first couple of days and then i just leave it the hell alone. my skin just reacts if i keep buggering about with it. Maybe that’s why mine never ran?

Cobalt57
Participant
@cobalt57

@kittykat200 144565 wrote:

The artist starts to work on an area of the arm (shading) and he does his thing the arm starts to bleed when he goes to wipe the area he has just finished working on there is nothing there. There is no ink in the area that he had just finished working on. THis only happens during shading and its not immediate.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

Without absolutely no hint of sarcasm it sounds like you’re saying your skin has become impervious to taking on more ink?? I would be really intrigued if you could film this and upload so that i can see what you’re talking about because my DC Comic and Marvel addled brain is coming up with all kinds of crazy shit right now lol

Cobalt57
Participant
@cobalt57

@kittykat200 144590 wrote:

Without absolutely no hint of sarcasm it sounds like you’re saying your skin has become impervious to taking on more ink?? I would be really intrigued if you could film this and upload so that i can see what you’re talking about because my DC Comic and Marvel addled brain is coming up with all kinds of crazy shit right now lol

That is what I am saying. The problem is it only happens during shading. I am fine when the artist does the lining.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

wtf?

video…

brain cant compute

Call_me_Lola
Participant
@call_me_lola

Only during shading … I am certainly NOT an expert, but maybe it is an application/technique issue? Is he an experienced artist? Or a beginner? Ink has to be applied correctly to stay in the skin. I’m not trying to dis the artist, just thowing out an idea.

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

Three hour session today. The tattoo work was on the right side of my back. I just had normal bleeding today.

Pre-session: Traditional (small) Stromboli and three full glasses of Cabernet Souvanau, and three pint glasses of water.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

I find that some places i hardly bleed at all and others it just gushes! Just the luck of the draw i suppose!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.