yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

also would like to add, if you decide on a new skool/caricature style tattoo i highly recommend josh woods. he does some sick caricature style tattoos and i almost considered doing a full back of my kids in that style with josh a while back.
JoshWoods.jpg
l.jpg
my fav one
l.jpg
tumblr_lolquhXuLV1qjb0xwo1_400.jpg

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

@yodaddynukka 130950 wrote:

l.jpg

Sylvester Stallone!

Caricatures are great!

gobeavers
Participant
@gobeavers

@Call_me_Lola 130944 wrote:

There are lots of good ideas here. I personally kind of like the more new school/slightly cartoony version that was suggested, if you pick the right artist they would certainly be able to capture her likeness. Not the style I usually go for but I can see this working out as an excellent tattoo in that style. But you should get the style that you really want.

I think the carousel would be better in colour, to avoid those “when are you going to finish it” questions. And really, the fun of a carousel is better represented in colour.

Just a thought, can you go back and get some clearer pics of the background and horse while the carousel is stopped? (and without the soul-sucker ha ha). Might help the artist.

Whichever style you go with choosing a very skilled artist and tattooer is going to be critical. If I was looking in Oregon my first stop would be Off the Map. And they get some top-notch artists guesting there as well.

GREAT SMILE on your little sweetie-pie.

Yeah I can definitely go back and takes some more pics of the carousel, which I probably should. I don’t think I’m in any position to be traveling for tattoos (time and $), but I will keep an eye out at upcoming conventions and Off the Map.

gobeavers
Participant
@gobeavers

@poxphobia 130946 wrote:

Your little girl is beautiful, by the way.

As a tattoo.. I love the idea of her on the carousel horse! The pic is a bit blurry, so if you’ve got other pictures of her with that smile, bring them along to your artist! Any picture that shows her face will help. I can see this working very well as a big piece, with her on the horse, in a color, realistic style portrait, and maybe have a watercolor inspired, colorful background to it. It could really become a beautiful, colorful, artistic piece. If you find the right artist, I’m sure it would be wonderful. Gene at Tattoo Culture in New york does some amazing watercolor inspired tattoos, and that’s the style I’m imagining would be wonderful as the background for this.

It sounds like everyone thinks it’d be best in all color, so I’ll stick with that idea and see if I can’t come up with a style I like. I do like the idea of maybe doing her realistic, and the less realistic background. So many good ideas!

yodaddynukka and Arni- While some of the cartoon/water color tattoos are neat, I don’t ever see myself getting one (unless I came across an artist that had some sort of hybrid style I liked). I really enjoy Russ Abbott’s tattoos, do you think a style like that would work? One artist I really like is Remis, I’m betting he could do a great painterly looking piece. Also, who would be some similar styled artists on the US West coast??

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

Check out Gene Coffey https://www.facebook.com/gene.coffey.56?fref=ts

Nevermind, just saw you said West coast lol

You have some of the best artists in the world on the West Coast!

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

@peterpoose 130962 wrote:

Check out Gene Coffey

Gene’s work is fantastic. A real innovation.

poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia

I actually just tried to get in with Gene myself, but all booked up! Looks like I might be getting in with Brian who works in the same shop though 🙂 Both great artists.

Many of these top artists will have quite the waiting list, so a good idea can be that if you know you’re travelling to where they are sometime in the future, maybe even a year from now, get in touch with them! I live in Europe, and I’m in touch with a few artists in the states, and one in Asia, just working on some ideas and planning to get something done when we’re on the same continent ;D Might take years before I catch up to some of them, but I will! Or just reach out, and maybe see if they’re planning on attending any conventions in your area 🙂 They often know way before it’s announced officially anywhere.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

If u want portrait work in the west coast then nikko, roman, rich pineda would be my choices.

Call_me_Lola
Participant
@call_me_lola

@yodaddynukka 130965 wrote:

If u want portrait work in the west coast then nikko, roman, rich pineda would be my choices.

For a colour portrait those three, along with Mike D, top my list as well.

FYI Rich’s wait list isn’t too bad at all right now but it seems to be growing very quickly. I inquired in the spring and was advised 8-10 weeks. Mid-May I emailed to book an appt. and it had grown to just over 5 months.

gobeavers
Participant
@gobeavers

@yodaddynukka 130965 wrote:

Sweet thanks, I like all of their tattoos. I’ll do some more looking and see if I can’t figure something out!

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

Also josh carlton’s convention in Feb!

gobeavers
Participant
@gobeavers

@yodaddynukka 130968 wrote:

Also josh carlton’s convention in Feb!

Certainly gonna be attending, however not sure I’ll book someone. I’m finishing my lion cover up with Joshua in October, so I don’t think I’ll have the funds for another one quite so quickly. Plus, even if I did I don’t think it’d be responsible (given I’m not rolling in money) to spend more money a few months later on another tattoo. I guess it depends on what artist I went to and how much it might cost!

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

Yeah I understand. I’m trying to secure jason butcher at that convention. Fingers crossed but it looks promising.

gobeavers
Participant
@gobeavers

@yodaddynukka 130970 wrote:

Yeah I understand. I’m trying to secure jason butcher at that convention. Fingers crossed but it looks promising.

Oh nice, he definitely has great work!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.