gobeavers
Participant
@gobeavers

My daughter is 2 1/2 and I’ve always thought about a tattoo, however never been able to come up with something perfect. Considering she’ll be around forever, I don’t want to rush now and wish I got something different later.

I love this picture though, how do you think it would translate into a tattoo? I was thinking it’d look cool with her in color, with the carousel in b/g and maybe add other stuff to it? What are your thoughts?

7fm6.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

I personally do not care for portrait type tattoos. I have seen some very well done, but they just aren’t my style. Whatever you do, make sure you get a great artist. Like your daughter, that tattoo will be forever.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

I don’t think that image will translate well at all, since it’s already blurred status will just get more blurry and fade into nonexistence in not too long.

As for the color over B/G idea, any graphics designer will tell you it’s been over-done to death and they hate it. I like it, however, if applied correctly. In your concept it MIGHT become a distraction and simply make you ask “so, when are you gonna get it finished?”.

P.S: That woman in the back there.. is she trying to eat your daughter and girlfriend?

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Go for it. But you will need to find a great artist not just a great tattooist. The picture is so blurry they will have to redraw everything, It was taken with a cell phone correct? it focused in on the tail of the horse.

Adler
Participant
@adler

Or maybe do something out of the box with it and rather than stick with the realism turn it into a cartoony or new school type piece but still using your daughter’s likeness and the carousel.

poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia

I think having a tattoo of your daughter on the carousel sounds like a beautiful idea 🙂 Clearly the background would have to be changed, and maybe switch up some minor things, but I like the concept! And I’d go for all of it in color 🙂
Sounds much sweeter and nicer than many many other children-tattoos 🙂

gobeavers
Participant
@gobeavers

I have this pic blown up as my background at work, and yes it certainly looks like the lady is sucking the life out of people in this photo haha. Unfortunately it’s really hard to catch those beaming smiles in action, and this is one of the better ones, unfortunately it’s a bit blurry. I’d definitely keep that in mind though, and ask the artist if they could clean it up (I assume most artists would say they are capable?).

As for portraits, definitely many out there, but I like the ones with something more going on than just the portrait.

Adler- I thought of the cartoon idea too, but wouldn’t that backfire with her face probably not looking like her?

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

I wouldn’t try the whole picture. I’d just have her on a carousel horse (or unicorn) I would definitely go with color.

Adler
Participant
@adler

@gobeavers 130928 wrote:

I have this pic blown up as my background at work, and yes it certainly looks like the lady is sucking the life out of people in this photo haha. Unfortunately it’s really hard to catch those beaming smiles in action, and this is one of the better ones, unfortunately it’s a bit blurry. I’d definitely keep that in mind though, and ask the artist if they could clean it up (I assume most artists would say they are capable?).

As for portraits, definitely many out there, but I like the ones with something more going on than just the portrait.

Adler- I thought of the cartoon idea too, but wouldn’t that backfire with her face probably not looking like her?

Yes it would effect the realistic likeness. If you went in that direction there could be a general but more exaggerated appearance and the piece would be more about symbolism than realism. But you and your family would know who the girl is and what it represents. Again, I’m not sure I’d go there but it’s just a different approach to consider. Something like a Gunnar or Ciavarro? Could be really cool and unique.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

I think it could work in a water colour type tattoo. The bluriness would then be a part of it. Not sure if you like this new type of tattoo style.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

@peterpoose 130934 wrote:

I think it could work in a water colour type tattoo. The bluriness would then be a part of it. Not sure if you like this new type of tattoo style.

Speaking of water color tattoos, an artist called Donna Tinta is guesting here in Iceland these days. It’s not my style but I have to see that is some very excellent work. I had never seen this kind of style before.

1000749_694337213926382_135100555_n.jpg

Call_me_Lola
Participant
@call_me_lola

There are lots of good ideas here. I personally kind of like the more new school/slightly cartoony version that was suggested, if you pick the right artist they would certainly be able to capture her likeness. Not the style I usually go for but I can see this working out as an excellent tattoo in that style. But you should get the style that you really want.

I think the carousel would be better in colour, to avoid those “when are you going to finish it” questions. And really, the fun of a carousel is better represented in colour.

Just a thought, can you go back and get some clearer pics of the background and horse while the carousel is stopped? (and without the soul-sucker ha ha). Might help the artist.

Whichever style you go with choosing a very skilled artist and tattooer is going to be critical. If I was looking in Oregon my first stop would be Off the Map. And they get some top-notch artists guesting there as well.

GREAT SMILE on your little sweetie-pie.

poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia

Your little girl is beautiful, by the way.

As a tattoo.. I love the idea of her on the carousel horse! The pic is a bit blurry, so if you’ve got other pictures of her with that smile, bring them along to your artist! Any picture that shows her face will help. I can see this working very well as a big piece, with her on the horse, in a color, realistic style portrait, and maybe have a watercolor inspired, colorful background to it. It could really become a beautiful, colorful, artistic piece. If you find the right artist, I’m sure it would be wonderful. Gene at Tattoo Culture in New york does some amazing watercolor inspired tattoos, and that’s the style I’m imagining would be wonderful as the background for this.

Call_me_Lola
Participant
@call_me_lola

@poxphobia 130946 wrote:

Your little girl is beautiful, by the way.

As a tattoo.. I love the idea of her on the carousel horse! The pic is a bit blurry, so if you’ve got other pictures of her with that smile, bring them along to your artist! Any picture that shows her face will help. I can see this working very well as a big piece, with her on the horse, in a color, realistic style portrait, and maybe have a watercolor inspired, colorful background to it. It could really become a beautiful, colorful, artistic piece. If you find the right artist, I’m sure it would be wonderful. Gene at Tattoo Culture in New york does some amazing watercolor inspired tattoos, and that’s the style I’m imagining would be wonderful as the background for this.

Can I change my mind?? I LOVE this idea ^^^. Would be a beautiful tattoo. The focus would be on your daughter and it would capture the mood of the background.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

@ArniVidar 130920 wrote:

I don’t think that image will translate well at all, since it’s already blurred status will just get more blurry and fade into nonexistence in not too long.

As for the color over B/G idea, any graphics designer will tell you it’s been over-done to death and they hate it. I like it, however, if applied correctly. In your concept it MIGHT become a distraction and simply make you ask “so, when are you gonna get it finished?”.

P.S: That woman in the back there.. is she trying to eat your daughter and girlfriend?

i actually like the blurry background/clear foreground idea. a lot of artists are doing that style now to make the foreground image (the main focal point of the tattoo) pop. it can also give the tattoo “movement”, instead of just being a still picture. just my 2 cents.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.