basilis5
Participant
@basilis5

first of all hi,
my name is Bill and I am new in this forum and in tattoos as well. its been more than a year when i starting thinking about getting a tattoo and finally i think that the idea is mature enough in my head.
What i like to do is a phrase which means a lot to me, cause its very related to a beloved person of mine whom I have lost..
the place i was thinking is inside my left arm, in order to be close to my heart.
the question is, what is the smallest font size that can be used (i do understand that the artist will play a dramatic role in the outcome, but i was thinking that maybe you guys have a general idea).
The phrase is consisted of 5 worlds and i am afraid that it might get too long.
the font i have picked is called english caligraphy or renaissance and the image below is sized 52.
do you think that it can be worked with a smaller font? 52 is sufficient to depict the details? I am not interested in being well read by others from distance. its something really personal..

the phrase i used in the example is random, but it has the same length and the same number of worlds-letters
font_image.gif

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Don’t do it…….

basilis5
Participant
@basilis5
buttwheat;117374 wrote:
Don’t do it…….

thank you for your tip, could you please be analytic though?

iggybuddi
Participant
@iggybuddi

I can certainly try to elaborate for buttwheat but not put any words in his mouth. 🙂 Most serious tattoo enthusiasts are not too interested in text tattoos when there is no art involved. It is one thing to have a couple words within a tattoo but to just have text is just an ungodly waste of canvas when you could have mindblowing art there. Most of us would encourage you to try and find a way to put the quote you want into artwork.

That being said, if you’re set on it, you want it as big as you can stand it because the lines will fade and blur with age. Make sure you’re willing to live with it for a lifetime before getting it as it seems that you are concerned with other people reading it. If it’s really personal, that’s more of a reason to translate it into art as then the true meaning is only apparent to you and subjective to others.

Good luck! Hope we can help!

basilis5
Participant
@basilis5

thank you for your reply! it is really personal indeed, frankly i dont care about other people reading it or comprehanding it..
furthermore i am not interested in art tattoos, designs etc, i really like test tattoos, but this is just a matter of personal opinion.
what i actually seek in this thread, is to find how feasible is to have such a sized-font worked on my skin.

nevertheless i really appreciate the time you guys spent to reply, thank you!

iggybuddi
Participant
@iggybuddi

If that’s the case, speak directly with your tattoo artist and they will tell you what sizes will work with the placement and how small you can go. Don’t go too small or the phrase will become garbled in a matter of years.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
basilis5;117422 wrote:
thank you for your reply! it is really personal indeed, frankly i dont care about other people reading it or comprehanding it..

Then you should get it in a foreign language or better yet get it a made up language.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

To quote Sherav:

Sherav wrote:
Size: Most important! Your ink will blur with age, and it has to be a min of 12 pt to stop it turning into a blob. Bigger is better maybe aim at 14-16 pt.

Considering his recommendation of 12 pt minimum, I’d think your 52 pt will be just fine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.