gawj1512
Participant
@gawj1512

Hey guys, I have a small cover up area, it’s nothing much, a line of small black stars. I have got the idea in my head and gave it to the artist on an email. He has totally dashed the idea full on. Do I take that and move on or do I try other artists? I don’t see how ANYTHING can’t be drawn? This guy is a good artist, I’m quite surprised he wouldn’t even try… would you keep asking around or save yourself the trauma of no, no, no!? I had my heart set on it, totally. Wish I could draw!!

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

Maybe it was a polite way of saying he doesn’t want to do it. maybe it was too simple?

TheMermaid
@

It’s hard to tell if you should give up on the idea or not when you haven’t posted your idea. Someone here might even be able to draw it for you. *Hint hint*

gawj1512
Participant
@gawj1512

Ok but it sounds kind of weird. It’s not simple that’s for sure lol.

It’s so hard to explain but in my head looks amazing.

You have to imagine this as an almost scribbly, whimsical drawing. Not lots of clean lines all over the place, except where it really counts.

Some swirly like cotton wool clouds just below my shoulder, top of my arm. Within the clouds a very smudged chalky rainbow but not necessarily perfectly curved. Below the clouds, some bunting held in place by a little bird each end of the string. Below the bunting a scribbly tree, but the green of the tree would be merged with the clouds, as it one long continuous stroke of a pencil, just the colours start to change as it goes from the whites/blues of the clouds to the greens of the leaves in the tree, as it continues down the trunk, the roots and then eventually a sea/waves below, so the roots merge with the water. In the water, a couple of little tiny fish and a tiny mermaid, almost a silhouette but with a little definition. In the space to the right of the tree and above the water, would be a faerie to match the style of the mermaid, a couple of toadstools.

See it SOUNDS shit, right? But in my head, it’s a perfect dreamy drawing. But could it ever be a tattoo? He said it won’t work as a cover up. He said it’s too much detail to fit onto an upper arm, but I don’t want ‘detail’ because I want ‘sketch’.

Ok guys, hit me with your thoughts. Shall I grab the Kleenex?!

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Yes, it sounds like a giant clusterfuck. 🙂 Do you have a pic of what you’re covering up?

gawj1512
Participant
@gawj1512

Hahahahahaha!!! Honestly in my head it really doesn’t look messy, just serene. Yeah here’s the piece of crud from when I was a stupid teenager… it’s so lame!

6pq0l4.jpg

gawj1512
Participant
@gawj1512
anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

That should be pretty easy to cover up, though you’ll obviously need to allow for some flexibility in the design as you’ll need to put some dark colors over the black. In any case, I think you’re going to have a tough time finding an artist of Megan Hoogland’s caliber with something so specific. Sketch up what you want (doesn’t matter if you can’t draw) and tell them to do their own rendition of it and see what they come up with.

gawj1512
Participant
@gawj1512
D3FiANC3;116989 wrote:
That should be pretty easy to cover up, though you’ll obviously need to allow for some flexibility in the design as you’ll need to put some dark colors over the black. In any case, I think you’re going to have a tough time finding an artist of Megan Hoogland’s caliber with something so specific. Sketch up what you want (doesn’t matter if you can’t draw) and tell them to do their own rendition of it and see what they come up with.

I guess that’s the only way forward now. To try and sketch it out myself.
The bunting part of my idea is to cover the stars. So some stars of the little stars will remain but can be touched up. The bunting flags were to cover up the bigger stars and using greens, blues, reds, purples, should do it, I think. Just gutted really, I thought you give a dude an idea and they run with it. But I guess it takes more than that.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

If u want abstracty or painterly style check out ivana (spunky freespirit) or bugs. Though i dont knowif that is the style u are looking for?

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
gawj1512;116990 wrote:
I guess that’s the only way forward now. To try and sketch it out myself.
The bunting part of my idea is to cover the stars. So some stars of the little stars will remain but can be touched up. The bunting flags were to cover up the bigger stars and using greens, blues, reds, purples, should do it, I think. Just gutted really, I thought you give a dude an idea and they run with it. But I guess it takes more than that.

Oh don’t get me wrong … you should definitely let your artist run with the idea. However, just reading that description makes my head hurt and I am sure that any artist hearing you describe it is thinking the same thing. If you sketch it up, you can just hand it to him/her and say “Here. I sketched this up just to give you an idea of what’s in my head, but I want YOU to design the actual tattoo.”

gawj1512
Participant
@gawj1512

I’m going to sketch it but post it on here first and see if it just makes your eyes bleed first. Don’t wanna try and achieve the impossible. Where is Spunky Free Spirit based?

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

The style of tattoo you want is called naive style art (child like drawings).

Check out the Haitian artist Préfète Duffaut for style (or simply look at artists who draw in this style using google images) and then find a tattoo artist and say can you do something similar to this style but showing your idea.

Write the idea down and break it down in forms of placement of what goes where and how big each thing is.

It is an unusual style and many artists will not have done this before so it helps if you have something they can visualise rather than say this is my idea.

It certainly can be done but you may need to simplify it due to space as if items are too small they will blur.

Take care
Matthew

gawj1512
Participant
@gawj1512

This is the kind of art I’m talking about really more specifically

4uwd4h.jpg

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

I don’t know where you’re located, but I met an artist from New York City that is right up your alley. Her name is Jes Ashby at White Rabbit Tattoo.

http://whiterabbittattoostudio.com/artwork/1981418_Jes_Ashby.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.