cccasady
Participant
@cccasady

So I need advice asap! I just got an half sleeve outline that’s only 3 days old. I am participating in a race in 4 days where they throw colored powder (I think it’s corn starch) at you. I don’t want to mess up my new tattoo but not sure how to protect it. My tattoo shop has said NOT to cover it with Saran Wrap because it shouldn’t have anything tight rubbing against it and not allowing it to breath. They also said no cloth materials/gauze because the powder will get wet (from my sweat) and soak through the material and then touch my ink. So what do I do?? Not attending the race isn’t an option. :confused:

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Wear long sleeves made of a non-abrasive fabric. Regardless of the powder, your new ink shouldn’t be exposed to the sun.

cccasady
Participant
@cccasady

They specifically said o cloth materials/gauze because the powder will get wet (from my sweat) and soak through the material and then touch my ink.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
cccasady;114492 wrote:
They specifically said o cloth materials/gauze because the powder will get wet (from my sweat) and soak through the material and then touch my ink.

Wear 2 layers then. The ink needs to be kept out of the sun. It’s that simple.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

First of all, many people keep their tattoos wrapped for days and weeks. To do it or not is merely an opinion, and they are quite incorrect in saying that it SHOULDN’T be done.
Secondly, saran wrap will not be rubbing against anything. It’ll cling stuck to the wound, allowing for whatever clothing you wear to slide harmlessly over it instead of rubbing against it.
Third, as Defiance says, wear sleeves. You don’t want your new wound to be sunburned and ruined.

cccasady
Participant
@cccasady

I was told that using Saran Wrap will trap in bacteria. I talked to another tattoo shop last night and they also advised against it. Said that Saran Wrap is old school and no longer a good idea. 🙁

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Holy fucking crap how long is the race? I’m pretty sure unless you’re running some 5 day long race wrapping it in saranwrap for a couple of hours will be just fine. Its a tattoo there hard to break.

cccasady
Participant
@cccasady

It’s only a 5k. I’ll be done in like 30 minutes. I think I am going to just wrap a loose t-shirt sleeve around it and rinse it off after.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
cccasady;114518 wrote:
Said that Saran Wrap is old school and no longer a good idea. 🙁

Bollocks. You’re closing the wound to stop outside infection coming in while you run. Do you really think that it’s preferable to have it open and get all the dust from the road and other crap in there?

cccasady;114521 wrote:
I think I am going to just wrap a loose t-shirt sleeve around it and rinse it off after.

So you prefer to have the shirt rubbing against the tattoo for the duration?
Oh well, as long as you keep it covered and out of the sun.

cccasady
Participant
@cccasady

Thats what I was thinking but They said that a LOOSE soft (cotton) shirt should be ok. Seems like no decesion is the right one. 🙁

Original six
Participant
@original-six

Think of it like this? What would you do if you had a open wound on your arm while running? ,,,, now do the same for your tattoo

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

You’re really over-complicating this. Keep the tattoo covered when out in the sun as sun is one of the worst things for it. Covering it with saran wrap or a t-shirt or anything else for a couple hours isn’t going to do any harm. For that matter, I don’t see what harm corn starch is going to do either. However, one thing that hasn’t been mentioned is excessive perspiration. Much like swimming, excess perspiration is very bad for your new tattoo.

cccasady;114550 wrote:
Thats what I was thinking but They said that a LOOSE soft (cotton) shirt should be ok. Seems like no decesion is the right one. 🙁

The right decision would be not to run or given proper notice, to have scheduled your tattoo after the run.

cccasady
Participant
@cccasady

I have been working out several times since I got it and it’s fine. Artist told me that my own sweat is fine for it. So many different opinions. Which there was a sold rule book

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Your own sweat it positively chock full of nasty things like bacteria from your skin, dirt and air pollution, so it is far from being ‘fine’.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
cccasady;114569 wrote:
I have been working out several times since I got it and it’s fine. Artist told me that my own sweat is fine for it. So many different opinions. Which there was a sold rule book

I didn’t say you couldn’t sweat, but sweating profusely is not good for your tattoo, particularly within the first few days. It’s the fast track to an infection.

ArniVidar;114577 wrote:
Your own sweat it positively chock full of nasty things like bacteria from your skin, dirt and air pollution, so it is far from being ‘fine’.

This. ^

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.