mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

I know a street shop artist with a couple years in the game, he shows signs of doing well, he is at $60,000 US…………….note, he has no health insurance, life insuance, disability insurance, dental care, eye care, vacation or holiday pay…………………net, he isnt really doing great, he does ok

I would say my friend is well above average for a street shop in a huge city, in some of Atlantas street shops guys are hoping to pay this months rent, trying to get their car fixed, some dont have a car, I know some who live on someone elses couch, they have few possessions, tattoo machines, a laptop, some electronics, it is a tough life trying to make it in this business, there are so many people calling themselves tattooist and so many shops, hundreds of shops in Atlanta

I know one of the industries top artists, some have said he is number one, having been in his lavish huge mansion of a home, he makes several hundred thousand dollars a year plus (in good times times nearly half a million) , books, dvd’s, semiars, websites, huge tattoos on famous and not so famous people that pay $20,000-40,000 and more……………he has over 15 years in the game…………..now granted he still has to buy his health insurance, eye care (contacts), dental care and he doesnt get paid vacation or holiday pay, there is no pension, no retirement income unless planned for, it hasnt been a easy life, tattooing in shit holes working your way up for people who didnt always treat you right, doing twenty, thirty, fourty tattoos a day to build skill and make enough at his then small wages to share an aprtment with another artist, then lots of travel at your own expense, grueling hours, uncomfortable conditons tattooing at any convention you can, promoting, working on your websites all night building an empire, its nearly killed him, his health and mental well being took a huge hit…………but yes he makes some big bucks

You say this mega artist should use your drawing, Ive seen him throw $10,000 in someones face and tell them to get the fuck out of the shop and chase them out the parking lot……………dont insult the man, he is a creator of some of the best tattoo pieces anyone has ever seen, what does he need your drawing for, give him an idea and let his genius (but possible insane) mind run………………some of you have heard stories of worse, maybe he has pulled a pistol or actually phyiscally struck a customer before, I dont know, stories fly you know

Some of those artists you have seen on TV this year are making $100,000 and above, but keep in mind, they are the chosen TV artists out of a tens and tens of thousands of US tattoo artists, and they took a decade or more to get where they are

This aint no easy life……………………..

Talisman
Participant
@talisman
anima;114117 wrote:
fair enough, but to say it’s insulting and then outright refusing someone is just a case of the tattooist putting himself before his customer. when these people walk into a shop with a piece of work the “my way or the highway” attitude IS unprofessional. It’s the same attitude these kids have (that think themselves to be some sort of rockstar) and elder tattooists in the industry carry with them. right out of the gate you have zero idea of the why and what this mean to them. and they are the ones that have to live with the tattoo. It all depends on what you capacity they consider themselves to be in. Are you just the craftsmen to do the work or are you as a consultant to talk them out of what they want into something that’s more of what you want. some people don’t want every piece on them to be another chance for the artist to have a jerk session. sure, talk to them and try to swing them around to some familiar ground for you. share some of your experience, but shutting someone down just because it’s their skin and their choice is far from insulting and is a closed minded view. not to mention poor business.

From my world of business and industry exp, I know what you meant about poor business as in professional ethics/morals. It is definately a decision for an artist to evaluate whether the design is tattooable or not, but lets not assume to say that the artwork ‘isnt’ tattoo friendly, therefore your work would not be rejected. Yes they see crap walk through the door but with exceptions to the rule for tattoo ready artwork. This will also be decided by the artists skill set, training and experience. Any changes made should be discussed professionally and respectfully with a potential client no matter what their professional status or achievements. The accepted tattoo depends on a tattooable design, but does not mean that ‘All’ artwork cannot be done or be radically changed.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

I agree it would be nice if the artist could more calmly discuss the pros and cons of using the clients drawing,

I do however understand that the tattoo shop is not a conventional business, the tattooist is a specialized tradesperson, an artist

he or she has “rights” that other businesses dont have,
they dont have to tattoo anyone
They can pick and choose who they want to tatttoo
When they tattoo, where they tattoo , what they tattoo and how

I do understand as I am sure you do, that someone like Bob Tyrrell is not going to tattoo a four inch round clown face in full color on my right ass cheek for any amount of money.

Filip Leu isnt going to do a black and grey low rider joker on my bum either, and because his reputation is everything and took his entire life to build I am sure a court of law would say he can choose to tattoo whatever he wants

These men have exceptional skills and world wide reputations on which their income is dependent, they get to choose

I know inexperienced customers dont understand this, granted alot of them havent lived long enough to have established their own reputation in their chosen line of work like an old fart like me. But I will suggest it is better to work within the lines of this unique industry that to fight it…………..Give them freedom to create art………..
These are wonderful artists and people who you will be happy to meet and work with and you will enjoy awesome art on your skin for a lifetime……………..go with the flow………………

Talisman
Participant
@talisman
mrchen;114632 wrote:
I agree it would be nice if the artist could more calmly discuss the pros and cons of using the clients drawing,

I do however understand that the tattoo shop is not a conventional business, the tattooist is a specialized tradesperson, an artist

he or she has “rights” that other businesses dont have,
they dont have to tattoo anyone
They can pick and choose who they want to tatttoo
When they tattoo, where they tattoo , what they tattoo and how

I do understand as I am sure you do, that someone like Bob Tyrrell is not going to tattoo a four inch round clown face in full color on my right ass cheek for any amount of money.

Hahaha just laughing at the arse cheek part and yes its true the tattoo industry arent a conventional business and pick and choose their customer preferances. There is no law to rejecting to serve people although some feel offended. I agree that tattooing is an art in its own right and is often misunderstood by many about the artistic techniques required to create it.

jerryatrophy
Participant
@jerryatrophy

I agree that relationships are important. I’ve been going to the same person for 8 years now. I only take ideas with me. Ideas and money. My last piece I started a few weeks ago, we Google’s some reference material he decided his plan of attack and free handed the stencil. It is intimidating letting it flow right out of someones mind but I completely trust my artist. Here is the drawing, he got up to go look at the reference once after we started.
photobucket-29088-1339827079240.jpg
find the right artist for you, build the relationship, and just trust them. They’re not going to mess up repeat business over a crap tattoo.
this piece is going to be 14+ hours est. And I’m getting it shaded tomorrow (my goal Is at least 4 hours I’m a wuss and I’m broke). I’m stoked. Its going to be my most labor intensive piece to date.
I am a firm believer in leaving it up to the artist.
On a side note. I’m really not looking forward to the ditch.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
jerryatrophy;114675 wrote:
(my goal Is at least 4 hours.

4 hours isn’t very bad dude you will be fine, i did 9 hours before xmas and it was no real struggle considering i only had a bacon sandwhich and a can of coke before i went in.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.