Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Day in day out people on the forum are asking for other members to design them a tattoo design to take in to the artist. If you want your tattoo designing you first pick the tattoo artist you want and they will design your tattoo for you it’s part of there job! If you take in a design to a artist 99% of the time they will only use that idea as a rough idea and draw up there own version anyway.

(Make this thread sticky so people can hopefully read it before asking more people to design them one) 😛

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

Can you design me a full body suit and one also for my brother and sisters?

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
peterpoose;114067 wrote:
Can you design me a full body suit and one also for my brother and sisters?

Your funny i like you.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

No artist I’ve ever met is going to use any drawing you bring them, it’s actually insulting,
Creating tattoo is what they do fir a living, a living that’s much more than a job, it’s a craft, an art,
Let them do what they are professionals at, let them design for you

Panter
Participant
@panter

There’s a link in my sig that may make a good sticky.
However, as GreyCatLove pointed out a little while ago, sometimes people need a bit of input just for ideas

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

input is fine, but there are too many threads asking for a design, I truly do not believe many beginning enthusiasts realize how this process works

anima
Participant
@anima
mrchen;114077 wrote:
No artist I’ve ever met is going to use any drawing you bring them, it’s actually insulting,
Creating tattoo is what they do fir a living, a living that’s much more than a job, it’s a craft, an art,
Let them do what they are professionals at, let them design for you

It sounds like every artist you’ve every met is pretensions and highly unprofessional. Turning a client away just because you don’t like the drawing they brought in is offensive to the person paying your bills. Similar to telling your boss to go fuck himself because you don’t want to do what he asks you too. But no worries there’s always another artist that will be happy to do the work and make the money at a less hipster shop.

Panter
Participant
@panter
anima;114105 wrote:
It sounds like every artist you’ve every met is pretensions and highly unprofessional. Turning a client away just because you don’t like the drawing they brought in is offensive to the person paying your bills. Similar to telling your boss to go fuck himself because you don’t want to do what he asks you too. But no worries there’s always another artist that will be happy to do the work and make the money at a less hipster shop.

Lol!!! probably worth checking Mr Chen’s albums before jumping to those sort of conclusions 😉

anima
Participant
@anima
Panter;114107 wrote:
Lol!!! probably worth checking Mr Chen’s albums before jumping to those sort of conclusions 😉

LOL! probably need to read what I typed again. I didn’t say anything about the guys art. 😉

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

thats the perception of uninformed people, and I think you are wrong,
why bring a professional artist a drawing to tattoo?

its freakin insulting…………..what you dont think they can draw one themselves?…………..are you saying you would deny them being able to use their talents?……………….it is what they live for……………..

its not pretentious, dictating what art they must produce is pretentious, give them some freedom

I have seen a crap tattooist who will tattoo a drawing that should not be tattooed, it needs work to turn it into something that will last as a tattoo…………….I dont think thats what anyone wants, but most of the time if someone is waving around money, somebodys gonna take it,

let them do what they do,

tattoos are very complicated pieces of work, they move, grow, skin is different even from one side of your forearm to the other, my inner forearms are like tennis balls, hard to tattoo, these people know what line weights, line spacings, light sources, color pallets etc will work together,
even me, with art college training, we were never taught this kind of stuff, they are WAY better at roducing a piecce of art that will become a tattoo then I am or any other artist from another medium,

bring your ideas, maybe a few picture references, then let the professional do the job you are hiring them for, creating the best tattoo you can get…………you will get better work

REMEMBER MY MOTIVATIONS, I AM JUST AN OLD MEAN ASS TRYING TO MESS YOU UP????? DONT BELIEVE THAT, THATS RIGHT, I WANT TO HELP YOU GET THE BEST TATTOO ART YOU CAN AND DEVELOP RELATIONSHIPS WITH TALENTED PROFESSIONAL ARTISTS THAT WILL LAST A LIFETIME………………but you dont have to listen to me

anima
Participant
@anima

fair enough, but to say it’s insulting and then outright refusing someone is just a case of the tattooist putting himself before his customer. when these people walk into a shop with a piece of work the “my way or the highway” attitude IS unprofessional. It’s the same attitude these kids have (that think themselves to be some sort of rockstar) and elder tattooists in the industry carry with them.

right out of the gate you have zero idea of the why and what this mean to them. and they are the ones that have to live with the tattoo.

It all depends on what you capacity they consider themselves to be in. Are you just the craftsmen to do the work or are you as a consultant to talk them out of what they want into something that’s more of what you want. some people don’t want every piece on them to be another chance for the artist to have a jerk session.

sure, talk to them and try to swing them around to some familiar ground for you. share some of your experience, but shutting someone down just because it’s their skin and their choice is far from insulting and is a closed minded view. not to mention poor business.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

there is a local tattoo shop owner and artist who is from up north and he has professional training as an artist, he is VERY good, been in many magazines, won a ton of awards, knows all the big names, and I have seen him kick customer and drawing out the door,

now without enough background knowledge you would say what an asshole, I’ll never let him tattoo me,

BUT, I saw the drawing, the customer brought a drawing that wouldnt work well as a tattoo and they were receiving very professional advice as to how it could be changed from this show owner / artist and they wouldnt listen…………………

hence the door

THIS IS A UNIQUE BUSINESS…………..GET THIS………………THE ARTIST IS THE BOSS

why you say, Kevin / Mrchen youve gone mad……………..NO AN ARTIST HAS A VERY HARD WON REPUTATION AND CANNOT COMPROMISE THEIR ART

thats right, they wont cut a corner, they wont tattoo a drawing that should be reworked, they wont do it your way if they know it wont heal right, wont last right or is wrong. a professional artist has alot at stake, one fucked up tattoo gets out on facebook and it can cause damage, so you WILL see them turn people down for styles they dont like, ideas they dont like or drawings they dont think will work,

but all in all, I think they are doing yuou a favor, it has been my 35 year plus experience that a high level tattoo artist is right

Panter
Participant
@panter

I’m totally not buying the “it’s poor business” part either. Most sought after artists seem to be doing pretty well for themselves, and have long waiting lists.
Not really the signs of people struggling with poor business decisions in my opinion.

And I see you’ve checked out the mans album now…. 😉

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Did somebody actually just say poor buisiness? i mean really…. wow.

you mustn’t fully understand how much tattoo artists earn there is 5 artists at the studio where i go/used to work and not even the main artist in there get’s £2500 a week.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

I wont mention names although you can probably guess.

Just for tattoo work alone he must be earning a minimum of £35,000 a month, that’s £420,000 a year, that is without book sales, artwork, machines, publicity stuff and I am sure I left out some other earnings. Sick!

I am sure though that for every top class artist there is a 1000 that probably make a normal weekly wage of lets say £500, so unless you are at the top and this is only guess work by me, it is probably pretty hard for a normal artist.

I took a drawing to him and he basically said to me, it wont work, there is far too much going on so I let him do his own thing and I am happy with it. All he took from my drawing was a very rough idea of concept/theme.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.