BigD16
Participant
@bigd16

So,

I signed up on this forum a good while back. Maybe a year or so ago. Maybe even longer. Anyway, I have my appointment for my first tattoo set for Monday at 2pm. I was told it’s going to be about an 8 hour session. I am located in South Carolina and am going to Ron White at Freedom Tatt’s who came very highly reccomended to me. But back to my main point, I know my tatt artist will give me an instruction sheet on how to take care of my new tatt and will give me a small starting supply of ointment/lotion for it. I have been reading tons of reviews on things to use as well as watching alot of product review videos for tattoo aftercare on youtube. I know every artist will tell you differently and that what works for you, doesnt work for everybody. I also know every artist has their preference on what to use and so does every tattoo customer. I have heard A&D is good, but only in small doses because it doesnt allow your tattoo to breathe. I have heard that heavily perfumed lotions are no good as well. Most of the reviews I’ve come across seem to highly reccomend Curel non scented lotion. Anyway, like I mentioned… I know my artist will give me a care sheet, explain how to take care of the tattoo, and will give me a starting supply of lotion/ointment or whatever you want to refer to it as. I guess I would just like to hear everybody elses opinions. What do you use for your tattoo aftercare? How well has it worked for you? Would you reccomend it?

Thanks guys!

Mistress_Of_Pain
Participant
@mistress_of_pain

I’ve personally dealt with a few artists in the past whether it was me getting tattooed or not. Two of the artists I dealt with before going to mine told my fiancé and myself to use A&D a couple times a day for 2-3 days and then switch to unscented lotion. Many recommended Aveeno or something a long those lines. They also told us to wash our tats a few times a day using unscented soap and mild water.

I personally hate A&D, it makes the tattoo look horrible and you’re right, it disallows the ability for the tattoo to breathe and it can cause some issues with the ink. I personally got little white head looking bumps on my tattoo from the A&D and I will never go back. My artist now that I’ve been going to for the past year, his healing instructions are pretty simple. He has me keep the tattoo covered for about 4 hours or so and then take the bandage/saran wrap off to get it nice and clean, using mild soap and warm water and then using cool water to rinse it. He then has me start going straight to lotion in which I use Lubriderm Fragrance Free Lotion. Every artist is different so it’ll depend on what your artist has to say about how to let your tattoo heal.

Definitely post some pics of it when it’s done! Hope that helped a bit 🙂

Panter
Participant
@panter

Personally, I’d go with what the artist recommends.
As you’ve found out, there are umpteen different methods of healing, I suspect it doesn’t matter a great deal as long as you don’t do something silly.

If you stick with your artists aftercare then at least you have some sort of comeback if it needs touching up or whatever. Not sure how sympathetic I’d be if someone came back to me having followed totally different aftercare advice and complaining that something was wrong if I was a tattoo artist.

Just my opinion though and, as above, post pictures when you’re done 😎

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

Depends on the size of the piece but r for medium to large work I do the following,
At first the tattoo is a large wound I need to get healing started.
I am wrapped dry before leaving the shop.
Four hours later I unwrap clean all those wonderful juices by washing with unscented anti bacterial soap. Then the LIGHTEST coat of a&doraquaphor.
I will wash again about 5-6 times a day.
I am cleaning to eliminate any bacteria but I am also trying to dry it out as quick as I can. I want to peel by the fourth day.bso after washing I do air dry for thirty minutes to an hour.
At bedtime I wrap in plastic loosely with a micro thin coat of aqua phone. I tape my plastic on loosely with medical tape. After second day I will wash and leave dry with nothing on for longer periods, I’m trying to peel.
I should crack by night of 3 rd day, first peel on 4th.

BigD16
Participant
@bigd16

Thank you everybody for the responses.

MrChen – I am going with a fairly large leg peice.

I appreciate everybodies advice and will keep it all in mind.

This thread will be flooded with pix once I get my first ink, So be prepared.

BigD16
Participant
@bigd16

So something came up last minute for my artist. He decided to go spend memorial day with his family. So he called my uncle last night to tell him that he was rescheduling me for Saturday at 5pm. I didnt know any of this until a few hours ago. I had called my artist earlier today to confirm my 2pm appointment for tomorrow and he told me he told my uncle last night that we had to reschedule. I was pissed that my uncle didnt stay in better touch with the artist and keep me updated because HE was the one who said he would since I was going through his artist. Anyway… My tattoo has been pushed to Saturday at 5pm.

Mistress_Of_Pain
Participant
@mistress_of_pain

That sucks. My tattoo shop always calls me the night before I’m scheduled to come in. Still, be sure to post pics when it’s done 🙂

Original six
Participant
@original-six

I’m from uk and use a nappy rash cream called .. Bepanthem.. I use that all the way thru healing and nothing else.. Jus re apply when the tattoo feels dry.

Anyone else use bepanthem

FEARoftheDARK
Participant
@fearofthedark

I use AFTER INKED and that shit’s amazing! :p

BigD16
Participant
@bigd16

Mistress Of Pain – I guess my artist called my uncle. But my uncle decided to stop by my house and tell me at the last minute last night, After I had already called my artist and heard it from him. Things come up and happen, It’s cool with me and I understand that his wife wanted him to close up shop today to go to a family bbq. I will make sure to post all kinds of pictures of my tattoo when I get home Saturday night for everybody to check out.

FearOfTheDark – Where do you find the name brand aftercare products like the one you mentioned? Do products like that have to be special ordered through a website, Or can you pick them up at local stores?

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Beptanthen for 11 days then go try, never had a problem with my tattoo’s, never needed touch ups and all still nice and bright.

Mistress_Of_Pain
Participant
@mistress_of_pain

Well at least you were told before you decided to go in and have your plans suddenly change. I’m getting my sleeve worked on this Friday so watch out for some pics as well 🙂

BigD16
Participant
@bigd16

I’ll keep an eye out! What kind of theme and deisgn did you go with for the sleeve?

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
BigD16;113829 wrote:
Mistress Of Pain – I guess my artist called my uncle. But my uncle decided to stop by my house and tell me at the last minute last night, After I had already called my artist and heard it from him. Things come up and happen, It’s cool with me and I understand that his wife wanted him to close up shop today to go to a family bbq. I will make sure to post all kinds of pictures of my tattoo when I get home Saturday night for everybody to check out.

A professional would never cancel an appointment to attend a family BBQ so once you said that, I decided to go have a look at Ron’s work. I am definitely NOT impressed.

31421113676275341186427.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
31421113676305341183113.jpg

40708138987386143408672.jpg

40793138991169476363398.jpg

46961139315869443893113.jpg

Panter
Participant
@panter

Holy crap!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.