mrchen
Participant
    @mrchen

Its all in the artist,
all the answers, will it fit, how much will it cost, can it be done, what colors, what style, will it cover, etc etc

they know it all, they have all your answers,

they are artists…………the can take your ideas, from your words alone and put them into a working tattoo, they are professional creators, let them create your tattoo, they are the best

HOWEVER……….a TON of people who call themselves a tattoo artists are mediocre at best

IT IS UP TO YOU, you know that old quote let the buyer beware? it is up to you to check the persons portfolio and see if their work is up to your standards, if you get a shitty tattoo thats your fault, DO YOUR HOMEWORK

DO YOUR HOMEWORK>>>>DO YOUR HOMEWORK

I dont wear shitty tattoos, you dont have to either, research and choose an decent artist,

I apologize that the industry is not regulated, I dont run it (yet), any mother fucking joe with a kit can tattoo you, it is illegal but not enforced, with the popularity of tattoo thru TV and media alot of people want to get tattooed and shops will invariably have to settle for less than the greatest tattooists to fill the need
Im not saying they cant tattoo, they can do a fair job or better on some flash and even make a small custom piece, maybe,

BUT WHEN GETTING YOUR SKIN PERMENATLY MARKED DO YOU WANT THE TIGER WOODS OR JOE BLOW NO ONES EVER HEARD OF????
There are thousands of major league players, but you dont hear about alot of them, you dont know their names, they are good, but you want the best, this is your SKIN

A good artist Dave Antonitto told me he googled tattoo shops in Atlanta area and found 299,

out of that 299 there are about 8 people I would let tattoo me, you figure the odds

let the buyer beware……………………..

currently wearing 250 hours, and many more to go, cant explain what my ink means, its personal, it is about who I am
kcgreyhound
Participant
    @kcgreyhound

This answers about 60 percent (or more) of the posts in this forum. I agree with you. I researched for a year to find the right tattooer to work with for my sleeve. I have a co-worker who is a basement tattooer, and he desparately wanted to sleeve me out. No thanks.

"The immense importance of a pint of ale to a common person should never be overlooked." – 18th Century Cannon of St. Pauls Catherdral, London
gawj1512
Participant
    @gawj1512

I researched too, his deviantart portfolio was good but more than that, a lot of good artists were recommending him. I think his work is good, just my current piece doesn’t feel perfect

mrchen
Participant
    @mrchen

was his portfolio good or great, you need great, does he regularly work in your style, if not he is most likely not the right guy

currently wearing 250 hours, and many more to go, cant explain what my ink means, its personal, it is about who I am
newdragon
Participant
    @newdragon

I totally agree with Mr Chen. Getting a fantastic tattoo requires patience. Patience while you research the artists and their work and then further patience while you wait for an appointment. An artist who does amazing work will usually have a lengthy wait but it is worth it.

mrchen
Participant
    @mrchen

for some reason people like to ask everyone but the right person for advice…………..they will ask their mom, their friends with no tattoos, complete internet strangers, people they run into at walmart, heck they ask anyone just what they should mark permenantly on their skin………………….I dont get it

talking to your local artist is free (I do like to tip for a long chat) and NO ONE knows better than they do,
they compose tattoos, they tattooo all day, they have tattooed for years…………ask them whatever you want

tattoos are not easy to compose there are some things to take into consideration, line weights,line spacings, color pallets, how each color will work with another, light source,

Go ask your artist…………………then lets talk about it 🙂

gawj1512
Participant
    @gawj1512

Well I thought his work was great and he is well known for doing cover-ups, I liked his portfolio and guessed an artist who could draw, could draw. He told me if he didn’t think he could do it justice, he wouldn’t start it. I spent 1-2hrs working out the cover up with him, looking at photographs of flowers, working out sizes, then he flashed the flowers for me… I can’t draw AT ALL and I put my faith in him as an artist. He didn’t flash the leaves or stalks though, he just started free-handing with a marker pen. I was a little nervous but he’d done such a wonderful job on the iris flower (the purple one) I thought it would be great. That took a couple of hours and then he sent me away to come back in 2 weeks for the next session. I asked for yellow/orange freesias, as it’s my arm, I can’t see what’s being done as it’s being done and was a bit shocked to see so much black, I guessed it would fade a bit after healing but it hasn’t,