Dasch-attack
Participant
@dasch-attack

Hey guys, when I’m on the internet (specifically this forum) I see a lot of very big tattoos, big enough to where you can tell what the tattoo is from across the street, however when I go to workout and such I see quite a few people with full sleeves/half sleeves that are very intricate and detailed. So my ? is, is there anything wrong with having a very detailed piece to where you would have to inspect it to fully feel the meaning of the piece? and do well known tattoo artist not like doing very detailed pieces?? if so why??

Thanks a lot guys.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Personally, I like something in the middle best. I like a piece that I can identify from 10 feet away with little details that just make the piece look even better when you get close. As for the artists, I suppose it mainly just comes down to their style. David Corden, for example, is all about doing the tiny little details.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

Another thing to consider is how long very detailed pieces will stand the test of time. No one really knows this answer as sujper fine detailing in tattoo is fairly new. I have super fine detail tattoos but my whole rationale is im living for now, i dont really care how its going to look when im 80.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

the best artists in the world believe that the fine detail will not last based upon their actual experiences.

Filip Leu being one of the best teachers, the master of masters,
he knows that lines grow, seem to move with growth of the body, the body changes, and proper use of negative space and leaving some distance between lines gives a piece a cleaner look, one that looks good close and at 10 feet, one that will last as long as the wearer,
alot of other greats are following in these footsteps, having experienced dissapointment with some of their past pieces, also alot of new greats like genko, have discovered the shocking look of super bright color and properly used massive amounts of negative space, its really a nice clean look that will last a lifetime

some like yodaddy dont care so much about the longetivity, but I am getting older, I definately care, I will be wearing 300 plus hours of ink in my 50’s, 60’s and 70’s or more!

I’ll give you my opinion on this, you can tell me what you think, Ive seen pictures of Nikkos work when first done, of course it looks great, Ive seen the piece 10 years later, it looks ok……………….
Not picking on Nikko he is considered one of the best color portrait artists in the world, I have also seen older Joshua Carlton work, same deal, to me it didnt last……….thats not to knock these guys, they sell tattoo work and customers love what they do…..but you know, the choice is up to the person wearing the ink

Dasch-attack
Participant
@dasch-attack

Thanks for the insight guys. I definitely wouldnt have ever thought about that. I just love extremely detailed tattoos, but I can see why an artist wouldnt. Thanks a lot!!

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

I know we would like our tattoo to look the same 20 years from now as it does now, but it wont,

worse yet lines dont always grow the same the entire length of the line!, they may grow thicker on one end and not the other, cant help, nothing you can do about that kind of stuff,
one part may grow the other part wont!…………this kind of stuff can really change tight details!

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

MykeChambers.jpg
Myke Chambers is world renowned for his crisp simple designs, this traditional is proven, it will last forever!
michaeldemasi.jpg
Mike Demasi is known for his amazing color portraits, notice now in 2012 how has has cooled off on the detail and uses alot of negative space……………smart man!
Kurt-Fagerland.jpg
Kurt Flagerland worked with Russ Abbott and it shows, amazing color work but with done in a simple solid style, it will endure, nice bold lines
javierbentancourt.jpg
Javier was mentioned on here last week, he is very good, he knows the limits of detail, he makes a good looking piece with just the right amount
curtisburgess.jpg
curtis burgess keeps this simple, beautiful, even though detail is kept to a minimum, look at his use of negative space, tons of it! but does it hurt this piece, no way!

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

Hmmm this has got me thinking about something I never did think about.

As you know I have Dmitriy Sahomen doing a full colour sleeve in July. Would you class his as detailed, I mean should I worry or maybe just go for a B/G with small splashes of colour?

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
peterpoose;110801 wrote:
Hmmm this has got me thinking about something I never did think about.

As you know I have Dmitriy Sahomen doing a full colour sleeve in July. Would you class his as detailed, I mean should I worry or maybe just go for a B/G with small splashes of colour?

Yes, I would definitely classify his work as detailed.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

that is a decision only you can make, I choose not to choose that kind of work,

I am 48 years old, been in shops every week all over the world since I was 15, hell, Im going today,
I KNOW what happens, I am not guessing, I have seen the detail dissappear, people I know wear some of the pieces I have seen fade and change drastically, I watch them get the work redone, some now twice over

Filip Leu isnt guessing too much detail hurts in the long run, he knows,

the super detail style is beautiful, I takje nothign from the artists who specilize here, they are off the chart in talent, the artists like Den Yakovlev, Cheng at brave tattoo and Oleg are fantastic, but do I think those super light no line pieces will last 20 years, in most cases they will have to be redone.

SO, ARE YOU WILLING TO LOOSE MORE AND MORE DETAIL AS YEARS GO BY, AND BE WILLNG TO SIT AND GET THEM REDONE LATER, because you will be gettiing rework.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

20 years eh, hmmm. I will be 60. Will I care then lol? Dunno

Does this include detailed B/G peices?

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

also in defense of fine detail artists that dont need my defending,

no one said certain tattoos wouldnt need a touch in 10-20 years, is there anything wrong with their work, no, its as perfect as it can be…………..but they cant stop the ravages of time, sun, growth, body aging, etc…………you all know this is ink locked in the dermis layer, not exactly a rock solid canvas!

me, if I wore said piece I would surely sit for some touch up,

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

the other debate, we see older men and women at conventions that have pieces from the 40’s, 50’s and 60’s that are revered because of the artis who did them or just that fact that it is such early work,

now to the general public it looks like an old wreck of a tatoo, but a Bert Grimm original looks damn fine to me now in 2012

will I care if peters dimitry piece looks kinda faded when he is 60, no, I will still respect the artist, the piece and the wearer for what each is

Dasch-attack
Participant
@dasch-attack

Awesome tattoos Mr. Chen I think I saw some of them on tattoo snob the other day, great examples. I honestly wont care in 20 years so Hopefully I can find a artist who likes a lot of detail and get tattooed by them. Right now I’m waiting on Dan Henk April 25 heheheheheh =)

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

Im not going out of my way to look for fine detailed tatoo but if Oleg was tattooing here in town today Id be in an 8 hour sitting!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.