Thaela
Participant
@thaela

Hey guys, I’m having a bit of an issue with my latest tattoo that I got a week ago, and wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar…

Got my lower back tattoo 7 days ago. All was well until 5 days after the tattoo, then I developed little red dots all over my lower back – they almost look like little pimples, but they are itchy. I can only assume its a rash, but I have no idea what may have caused it, or what to do about it.

I have to think its somehow related to the tattoo since the rash is only in that area. The only thing that changed around the time that it started was I switched from the A&D ointment to Aveeno lotion… which I have done for my other tattoos and never had a problem. I can’t imagine its a reaction to the Aveeno lotion since its hypoallergenic and I’ve used it all over my body before for years with no issues. I have not changed detergents or anything else. Nothing is different.

I put some hydrocortisone and diphenhydramine (benadryl) cream on it this morning, hoping if it was a reaction to something that it would help, but I thought I’d post here in the meantime and see if anyone else has experienced this, or has any ideas. Thanks =)

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

oils in your skin and heavy thick oil in A&D smothered it and got a rash going, wash it real good 4-5 times a day, dry it our for hours, then use the lightest coat of lotion (I use lubriderm unscented, lightest I can get)

about a week all will be fine

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Try Benadryl. It sounds like hives. It could be a reaction to the ink, but it could also be a reaction to the A&D/Aveeno. I know that I have to be very cautious about how much and how long I use Aquaphor or I will break out in hives. If they are hives, they won’t affect your tattoo in the slightest – as long as you don’t itch them of course.

Thaela
Participant
@thaela

Thanks for the quick replies, guys =)

I didn’t think it was a reaction to the actual ink itself, or I would’ve reacted a lot sooner than 5 days post, and also to the other tattoos I got previously. So I wasn’t sure..

I definitely haven’t been itching them at all, especially since I still have a few scabs left on the tattoo, and some of the red spots are within the tattoo.

I’ll keep washing it and applying the cortisone/benadryl cream and hopefully it will go away soon. Thanks again =)

Thaela
Participant
@thaela

also, should I keep putting on the aveeno lotion? or just stop for now? I know the aftercare states to keep it moisturized, so I don’t want it to get too dry if that’s bad for it.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Try Benadryl caplets.

btw, an allergic reaction to a new substance can take up to 10 days to occur. Or in cases of a new allergy, can occur any time (e.g. 10 years later). Nonetheless, I’m w/ mrchen on this one – I think the A&D is the likely culprit here.

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove

If the Benadryl isn’t clearing it, I’d bet money it’s keratosis pilaris aggravated by the tattoo, A&D, and Aveeno. Not a doctor, but it doesn’t sound like hives. DO NOT overwash the area as you’re just aggravating the skin further. Wash it a couple times a day without soap with a “scrub puff.” Apply a light layer of cortisone cream once you’ve patted it dry. You can moisturize once that soaks in, and like others said, try a mild lotion like unscented Lubriderm or Cetaphil.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
GrayCatLove;109433 wrote:
If the Benadryl isn’t clearing it, I’d bet money it’s keratosis pilaris aggravated by the tattoo, A&D, and Aveeno. Not a doctor, but it doesn’t sound like hives. DO NOT overwash the area as you’re just aggravating the skin further. Wash it a couple times a day without soap with a “scrub puff.” Apply a light layer of cortisone cream once you’ve patted it dry. You can moisturize once that soaks in, and like others said, try a mild lotion like unscented Lubriderm or Cetaphil.

Keratosis Pilaris resembles goosebumps, not pimples. Also, it is a hereditary, chronic condition so one would imagine that it would have presented itself prior to this. I’m sticking with some type of simple rash.

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove

Seen a lot of KP; they tend to get red and irritated. The texture is like goosebumps, but they tend to be red and irritated (like pimples). It IS autosomal recessive, but a lot of women tend to have it crop up after skin trauma, so my mind went right to that. The only reason I said anything is she didn’t seem exactly thrilled with Benadryl cream results. A rash should respond. If she doesn’t have much response to the pills, I think there’s a chance it might be KP, and there might be a better way to treat it.

I know I wouldn’t want to pay a big co-pay if I didn’t have to. Wasn’t a personal insult; just my own experience with KP and mystery rashes, as well as hives (and this sounds nothing like hives, but of course, I could be wrong; I’m overdue ๐Ÿ˜‰ ).

Thaela
Participant
@thaela

Definitely isn’t like goosebumps, and does not resemble keratosis pilaris, imo.

I have only tried the benadryl cream last night and today, and just took some of the benadryl tabs, so we’ll see what happens.

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove
Thaela;109439 wrote:
Definitely isn’t like goosebumps, and does not resemble keratosis pilaris, imo.

I have only tried the benadryl cream last night and today, and just took some of the benadryl tabs, so we’ll see what happens.

Hope it works! I just think too often we label things as “allergies,” and I tend to cringe every time I hear the word.

Cardinal
Participant
@cardinal

It could be that that skin around your tattoo is overly moisturised so the pores get clogged and you get the ‘pimples’. This happened to me once, and as soon as eased up on the lotion, and ensured that the area around the tattoo was washed a couple of times a day to keep it lotion free, they got better and were gone in a few days.

Thaela
Participant
@thaela

Good thought, thanks for the reply. I guess it could be pimples, its just weird they would be itchy. But maybe its just the tattoo itself that’s itchy since its healing.

Never had this issue with my other tattoos, though they were a lot smaller than this one.

Thaela
Participant
@thaela

Good thought, thanks for the reply. I guess it could be pimples, its just weird they would be itchy. But maybe its just the tattoo itself that’s itchy since its healing.

Never had this issue with my other tattoos, though they were a lot smaller than this one.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

3 of the 4 of my tattoos i had no problems with, however the one on my ribs got a bit red and angry, i just put it down to being in a more sensitive area and covering more space, like the others said, keep it clean and use only a very light covering of whatever moisturiser/lotion you’re using, i use bepanthen and it suits this purpose perfectly for me. it will go away as soon as it is no lomger being irritated so try to keep your after care lotion on the tattooed area rather than around ๐Ÿ™‚

on the other side, congratulations on your new tattoo ๐Ÿ™‚ x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.