Morwin Nerdbane
Participant
@morwin-nerdbane

Yesterday I had the HUGE pleasure of meeting one of my heros; Wrestling legend Mick Foley (also known as Cactus Jack, Mankind and Dudelove).

I’ve been following Micks career for 14/15 years which is over half of my life (I’m 24 now) and generally adore him as an entertainer and author. So yesterday I met him and asked him to sign my leg, I explained I had a tattoo appointment this morning to have it put on me permanently, which he was a little taken aback by but happy to do. He took his time with the autograph and even drew my a little monobrowed smiley face in the middle of it which I LOVE!

HOWEVER, I think he underestimated the space he had and the autograph slightly crossed an existing tattoo. All last night I tossed and turned worrying about the crossover. It literally only crosses a tiny corner of the existing piece but it was enough for me to want to have the signature traced and moved over a little bit.

In the end I didn’t move it and I told my artist not to neaten the edges up so it shows where he lifted the pen and put it back down not quite in the same spot, it shows where he pressed on harder and where the pen was giving up.

My chap also told me it was a lame tattoo idea but Foley is like a God to me.

I was wondering what you guys would do in that situation. You meet your hero, do you get an autograph tattoo? If so do you neaten it up? Do you move it if it’s not quite right?

I have to admit the tat is pretty messy due to my request but I love it more than anything I have to date.

Adler
Participant
@adler

I agree with your “chap”…lame! To still be worshipping a pro wrestler at your age is pretty sad and then to get an autograph tattoo makes it even worse. Sorry, but you asked.

Morwin Nerdbane
Participant
@morwin-nerdbane

I don’t mind. I love my new tattoo but I actually asked about what you’d do if it was your hero you met not if you thought I was cool or not.

I don’t see why him being a wrestler has anything to do with anything, same for my age. I like who and what I like. He’s been a massive part of my life and has made a huge impact on me as far as my writing, my motivation etc etc. I’m a dork and will be the first to admit it.

Also why the quotation marks around “chap”? It makes no sense. Even my boyfriend (is that better?) has said if it was his hero he’d have an autograph tattoo.

Adler
Participant
@adler

You asked if I met my hero would I get an autograph tattoo and my answer would be no, I really don’t get the concept but to each their own. And you’re right, you have the right to idolize whomever you choose…even a pro wrestler. And I quoted the word chap mainly because I’m not sure exactly what a chap is. But you said your chap also thought it ws a lame tattoo idea and I agree with him. As for placement and neatening it up I can’t answer that because it’s not something I would get done but I don’t think I would want it interfering with any preexisting tattoos. Good luck to you.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

I personally have never been or never will be starstruck.

Saying that, everyone is different and its what makes the world such an interesting place.

Any chance of a pic?

Morwin Nerdbane
Participant
@morwin-nerdbane

I’ve never been star struck either until Wednesday. My mum used to work in TV so I was brought up around celebrity which never phased me until I met Mick and I went all prepubescent Bieber fan lol.

Like I say; it’s a poor tattoo by normal tattoo standards but I adore it. Best day of my life so far and fav tattoo to date.

If they’re huge again I’m sorry but I don’t know how to shrink stuff properly:

Mick signing my leg
MICK1.jpg

Once it’s been inked on
MICK3.jpg

metalmancpa
Participant
@metalmancpa

It’s all about personal preference. For one I would never get any words, name or otherwise, on a tattoo. I’m planning my 2nd tattoo, and incorporated into it will be two bands logos. That could be construed as star struck, but I look at the logo as art versus just the name of the band, plus the logos aren’t the tattoo but just part of it.

As far as an autograph as a tattoo is concerned, in my case regardless of how I felt about that person, I would never use my body for an autograph. That just doesn’t work for me. It seems cheesy to me, but I also think portraits of people aren’t great choices either. But again, that’s me – I’ve seen great portraits but I don’t want one on my body.

I think you’ll see that after to get your “opinions” when you ask (it seems like a majority of forum members don’t like word tattoos period), the bottom line will be as long as you’re happy with it then anybody’s else’s opinion doesn’t matter.

Morwin Nerdbane
Participant
@morwin-nerdbane

Well I stuck the pics on the post above.

Lol what is it with people and quotation marks. “Opinions” “chap” whats going on here people?!?! lol.

I’ve been getting tattoos for a long time now so I don’t mind and/or care that autographs are not to everyones taste. My logic for getting it was that it was a once in a life time moment with a guy that has had a massive impact on my life. I’d never get an autograph from just any old celeb but Foley is special to me. And I’d never get one that wasn’t drawn directly on (hence the question about moving it in my original post). Even my fella said last night after seeing it that he was jealous and I know damn well that if it was Rubens Barichello (ex F1 driver) or Matt Bellamy (Muse front man) he’d have done the same.

Is it that people don’t have a (I’m doing it now with the quotes lol) “special” “celebrity” or would you just not get an autograph on you?

I totally get that it can been seen as a bit gross or cheesey but I don’t think I’ve ever really considered myself a normal girl.

Adler
Participant
@adler
Morwin Nerdbane;108660 wrote:
Lol what is it with people and quotation marks. “Opinions” “chap” whats going on here people?!?! lol.

Is it that people don’t have a (I’m doing it now with the quotes lol) “special” “celebrity” or would you just not get an autograph on you?

I’d rather see words in quotes than “lol” after every other sentence. lol

I don’t get starstruck either so I really don’t fully understand the significance of an individual writing their name somewhere. I could somewaht understand having Foley sign his book for you or an athlete signing a ball or something or a musician signing a CD, etc., but getting an autograph permanently put on your body makes no sense to me. I think people put these celebrities on some type of pedestal and get all crazy to meet them when to me they’re no better than you or me. I’ve been around famous people and while others’ get nuts I could not care less, they’re just people. But it’s your body and not mine so good for you. lol

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

I’m not a big fan of autograph tattoos either. I’ve never been the kind of person that cares whether or not I meet a celebrity. I don’t remember ever even asking someone for their autograph.

That being said, your tattoo is actually very well done. It looks like an autograph. It’s crisp and solid. I also like that it goes behind your existing tattoo rather than over the top of it.

Morwin Nerdbane
Participant
@morwin-nerdbane

I find that “lol” softens the blow while commenting on peoples nonsensical grammatical choices.

An autograph is a symbol of a memory. When you meet someone you look up to you often have an ethereal blur muddle your thought, especially if you’ve spent the afternoon waiting to meet them in the pub. It’s a concrete reminder of an awesome event. Foley signed my book, and a t-shirt and my ticket to the show and my program but along the line those things could be lost, damaged etc. Touch wood, my leg won’t be.

There’s a difference between having a huge amount of respect for someone a putting them on a pedestal. As I said; I’ve met some of the most recognisable names in the world but I didn’t really care. This one was special.

EDIT: I should also point out that Mick Foley (look at the pic or any online pic) is not the best looking chap in the world. This was not a Robert Patinson/Justin Bieber/whoever the hell else children fancy thing. This was a long-time fan, respect, once in a lifetime thing

Panter
Participant
@panter

That’s a superb tattoo in my opinion, and I think you were quite right to leave it exactly as it was.
It’s not my thing, but it’s extremely well done, really looks as if it is permanent marker!

Morwin Nerdbane
Participant
@morwin-nerdbane

Thanks man ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve compared the tattoo to the pics I took of the pen version and it’s about as identical as you can get which is exactly what I wanted.

Love your avatar btw.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

I have to agree with Panther on this one now that I have seen the pics I think it looks very nice and better that you left it ‘rough’, like the little smiley as well.

Not my type of thing but it does look nice!

Panter
Participant
@panter
Morwin Nerdbane;108677 wrote:
Love your avatar btw.

Thank you ๐Ÿ˜€

It’s a dream of mine to get a “sad Panther” tattoo of my own one day, just waiting for an artist skillful enough ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.