peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=den+yakovlev&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=qMJIT72gDsrO8QOk0qCwDg&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=979

This is a guy I am in talks with for a sleeve or leg, Den Yakovlev. I have since found out that he is banned from some conventions and tattoo artists dislike him because he still does Nazi type tattoos.

For me personally and I have lost family to that war, it makes no difference to me. He is very talented and world class in my opinion.

I don’t know if he us actually himself racist or he will just do anything anyone likes. He is from Russia, maybe that has something to do with it?

My question is, would you still get an ink from this guy?

bluey
Participant
@bluey

You are entering into an interesting Moral dilemma. Something I’m not going to enter into here, but I guess the closest is would you purchase goods / services from a company that supported Germany in the war, or worse still companies that supported both sides (at the same time)? There are allegations that some very big household names did such that.

Cornishtiger
Participant
@cornishtiger
bluey;108134 wrote:
You are entering into an interesting Moral dilemma. Something I’m not going to enter into here, but I guess the closest is would you purchase goods / services from a company that supported Germany in the war, or worse still companies that supported both sides (at the same time)? There are allegations that some very big household names did such that.

Thats not the same at all. Lots of companies have supplied the Nazi and most if not all are honest about it and express regret. Thats very different from some twat who still pushes the Nazi doctrine today.
If this artist is using the swastika and other propaganda to promote hate then no way should he be supported by right thinking people.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Well looking at that thread, it looks like he is more than just an artist who inks swastikas, but is actually a supporter of that bullshit as well. If he just inked whatever people wanted, it is a position I can respect, although not one I would personally follow if I was in his position. If that were true though, he wouldn’t put this hate-themed shit in his portfolio. In this case though, he clearly shares these beliefs, so no I wouldn’t let him ink me.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

I cant seem to find anything backing up that he is a racist? or did I miss some parts of it?

Is he Russian? Russians use nazi symbols as protest to their opressive governments. They are still used even after the soviets are gone. Check out all the swatzicas in russian prison tattoos

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
peterpoose;108163 wrote:
I cant seem to find anything backing up that he is a racist? or did I miss some parts of it?

Is he Russian? Russians use nazi symbols as protest to their opressive governments. They are still used even after the soviets are gone. Check out all the swatzicas in russian prison tattoos

He’s got a Nazi-themed tattoo on his own chest. He also has a bunch of Nazi-themed tattoos in his various albums (e.g. MySpace) including 2 with hanged Jews.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose
D3FiANC3;108164 wrote:
He’s got a Nazi-themed tattoo on his own chest. He also has a bunch of Nazi-themed tattoos in his various albums (e.g. MySpace) including 2 with hanged Jews.

Yep I saw the Jews ones.

Is it the same as being racist if someone asked him to do that?

Whats the Nazi themed one on his chest? Not very good with that type of thing lol

BTW not trying to start a war here lol just wanted to see what people thought, because he is very talented and we all know how the web can blow things all out of proportion. I mean nobody knows him they are just judging?

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

Those types of Tattoos he has done are minimal compared to all the other works he has done and he does have talent. Russia is probably a very different type of upbringing to lets say our countries.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
peterpoose;108165 wrote:
Yep I saw the Jews ones.

Is it the same as being racist if someone asked him to do that?

No, but he has a Nazi tattoo on his own chest. And again, he also has them displayed proudly in his online portfolio.

peterpoose;108165 wrote:
Whats the Nazi themed one on his chest? Not very good with that type of thing lol

Looks to be a Nazi officer.

peterpoose;108165 wrote:
BTW not trying to start a war here lol just wanted to see what people thought, because he is very talented and we all know how the web can blow things all out of proportion. I mean nobody knows him they are just judging?

If I told you that I molest children, how much more about me would you need to know before you judged me? Would it matter if I spent 30 hours a week volunteering at a soup kitchen as well?

peterpoose;108166 wrote:
Those types of Tattoos he has done are minimal compared to all the other works he has done and he does have talent. Russia is probably a very different type of upbringing to lets say our countries.

What the hell does that have to do with anything? So if he grew up in area where this type vehement racism was prominent, then it should be overlooked? We heard that same escapist bullshit from that piece of shit Michael Vick and we hear that same bullshit from rapists and murderers. Simply because you grew up poor, or your mommy didn’t love you, or … You made your own choices so fucking man up and take responsibility for them.

This isn’t like a a Democrat getting a tattoo from a Republican. Obviously it doesn’t bother you all that much since you are trying to convince yourself that it’s not that big of a deal. To some of us though, it’s a matter of principle.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

I know his work and no doubt he is incredibly talented, but I think I would have to avoid him and all the controversy around him, he obviously has some very strong views that run contrary to most of the world, I dont want any part of it

clay1680
@

Art is art and talent is talent, you dont have to share the same thoughts as the guy. i mean i in no way have the same beliefs as him but if you think he can knock out a nice piece for you go right ahead.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

i dont think he is banned from conventions yet, but there are some very influential artists wanting him banned. if you are not sure, why not just get work from dmitry instead?

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
clay1680;108210 wrote:
Art is art and talent is talent, you dont have to share the same thoughts as the guy. i mean i in no way have the same beliefs as him but if you think he can knock out a nice piece for you go right ahead.

Well that’s your choice but I can’t compromise my morals so easily. So if you knew he was a pedophile you could sit there for 8 hours and let him ink you up? I’d be too busy bashing his brains in.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose
D3FiANC3;108220 wrote:
Well that’s your choice but I can’t compromise my morals so easily. So if you knew he was a pedophile you could sit there for 8 hours and let him ink you up? I’d be too busy bashing his brains in.

Me too!

Dimitry was my first choice that is how I stumbled upon this guy who at the time of contacting him I never realised all this Nazi stuff.

I have tried getting hold of Dimitry many times and just cant. I even went as far as stalking him by going on a Ukraine forum and asking anyone living in Odessa to find his shop and number. I got his shop address and mobile number and a number for the cafe next door to his shop lol

Still nothing. He is not far from Victor in Krakow, so I wanted to drive to Victor then on to Odessa.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.