Motorcycles.Tattoos
Participant
@motorcycles-tattoos

OK, i have quite a bit of ink done.

I would say that 75% of my tattoos do not have some “deep, lasting meaning”

who cares?

i think that we only have 1 life. i have multiple tattoos that i got only because they make me laugh, i got others because i just thought they were badass. I will say that even though they make look “stupid”, each piece represents a part of me or a different point in my life, thats why i do not regret any of them.

here are some of them that people hate on:

tazzzzz.jpg

cookiemonster.jpg

yourname.jpg

skulllllll.jpg

pit.jpg

scarrrrrr.jpg

nautilus
Participant
@nautilus

“Why do tattoos need to have meaning??”

they dont

metalmancpa
Participant
@metalmancpa

I don’t disagree with you. I got my 1st tattoo last year – eagle upper right arm. I just like eagles for no particular reason, and wanted that to be my 1st. I am getting ready to book for my 2nd based on an idea I’ve had for a long time. It has some meaning to me – based on my love for heavy metal music.

But, that’s me. I never planned to get a lot of ink, and I would venture a guess that when I get this 2nd one done it will probably be my last. But you are right about meaning – a tattoo is art. You go out and buy a picture or some other art piece just because you like it. Why should a tattoo be different.

Motorcycles.Tattoos
Participant
@motorcycles-tattoos

I’m glad to see that other people feel the same way

Thaela
Participant
@thaela

I guess its different for everyone since its something permanent you are putting on your body, so people have different reasons or criteria for doing it. Personally, I only want things that mean something to me and aren’t a fly-by-night pop culture reference, since I have enough foresight to know that something like that won’t mean anything to me in 5, 10, 20 years.

*shrug* That’s just me. Everyone’s different. The bottom line is if it makes you happy, then that’s all the matters.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

they dont have to have any meaning,

but most people take marking their bodies forever more serious and they have a meaning,

why use your skin as a billboard for random bullshit, it usually looks like shit

now if you want to collect a piece of art from a really good tattooo artist and it has no meaning, just a beautiful piece, fine, I dont think wearing high quality work is a waste of skin,

I planned for twenty years……..

when your older you will understand, and most likely be paying for alot of paser sessions

Adler
Participant
@adler

A big reason that tattoos have to have deep meaning for so many people nowadays is the tattoo reality shows say so. There are so many newbies to the tattoo world, many of which are resulting from (not so) reality TV. A couple of my tattoos have family meaning but the rest are simply because I like the art and wanted it tattooed on me…that’s all the meaning I need. And regardless of whether the tattoo has meaning or not, there’s really no excuse to get a shitty tattoo. Someone could be covered in random, meaningless, off-the-wall tattoos and still look good if the tattoos were done well.

Lotus_flower21
Participant
@lotus_flower21

Tattoos don’t have to have any deep meaning. It comes down to personal preference. While I want my first tattoo to have meaning, I’ve been thinking of getting an ivy vine tattooed on me for a few years. The Ivy vine doesn’t have meaning to me, but it is my favorite plant. That’s meaning enough to me.

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
Lotus_flower21;107882 wrote:
Tattoos don’t have to have any deep meaning. It comes down to personal preference. While I want my first tattoo to have meaning, I’ve been thinking of getting an ivy vine tattooed on me for a few years. The Ivy vine doesn’t have meaning to me, but it is my favorite plant. That’s meaning enough to me.

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

^ This. I’m getting a hiking half-sleeve. There isn’t any deep meaning there. I just really like hiking and the outdoors. I personally wouldn’t just get some random bullshit tattooed on me, but if that’s your thing, what the hell do I care?

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

I listened to a discussion between a couiple of artists this weekend,
it was their opinion many of the people walking in the shop for work are simply follwing a fad

I would have to agree

Morwin Nerdbane
Participant
@morwin-nerdbane

I don’t think tattoo’s need meaning.
I have 3 with meaning
1) a quote
2) a skull and cross swords cos I was in Cornwall when I got it and that’s where pirates are from.
3) the Triple H DX cartoon (WWE fans will understand) because I love him and he represents a HUGE part of my childhood.

^That is not, by any stretch, all of my ink.

I get what I think is pretty or what I think suits my personality.
I like bright colours.

I guess all tattoos have meaning even if it is as much as ‘i like it’

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
Morwin Nerdbane;108003 wrote:
I guess all tattoos have meaning even if it is as much as ‘i like it’

Yep, I had that same thought. 🙂

Amok
Participant
@amok

In 20 years when asked why I got my tattoos, I don’t want the answer to be “cos I thought it was cool….”

Aussie Tom
Participant
@aussie-tom
mrchen;107891 wrote:
I listened to a discussion between a couiple of artists this weekend,
it was their opinion many of the people walking in the shop for work are simply follwing a fad

I would have to agree

Are you saying walk ins are a fad? That’s a 100 year fad if that’s the case.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

in many cases it is now,
the industry is compeletly different,
sure it used to be bikers, sailors and hardcore MF’rs walking in getting classic skulls and eagles and girls, that isnt the typical customer now, as a matter of fact I wonder how one of those guys from the past would feel walking into one of these new salon looking shops? with magenta walls and flat screen tv’s and hip hop playing………..my guess is he would walk out, thank God for the old school shops that are left

a different calss of people are getting inked now for th emost part, many of them for no reason other than it seems cool right now

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.