nautilus
Participant
@nautilus

Hey guys, I recently got one tat on my right forearm, and im already thinking about skin real estate and trying to come up with an idea for my next tat. So I know someday I might, or probably will want a full sleeve if not two. I also really want to do a skull/roses on my outer left arm pretty soon.
My question is, should I wait to do that until I am ready to do a whole sleeve, so it can all be planned out from the begginning? or can I just get that smaller tat, and add to it in the future. I know I can do either, but what are the pros or cons of getting a whole sleeve done in one design, with one artist, rather than collecting tats on the arm over multiple artists, and eventually tying it all together.

bluey
Participant
@bluey

Do yourself a favour plan your sleeve, you can then add bits an pieces and the plan may change a little over time. Have a look at some of the amazing sleeves that were planned from start to finish. If you have a plan you can always change it. With no plan you relying on the skill of the artist compromise and good luck. I started off with with a few small tattoos. Initially I only wanted a couple of very small tattoos on my shoulder. That grew to half sleeves that worked pretty well but now I’m onto full sleeves and the difficulty is much bigger of making it work as ‘one’ tattoo. Do I regret what I have – NOPE. Would I have done it differently yes!

nautilus
Participant
@nautilus

doe plan mean just know what I am going to do before I start? or have the artist draw out the whole thing before I start. The tat I want on my arm wouldnt be too small, it would be almost a half sleeve, but Im not sure what to put on the inside of the arm, or the lower arm yet…

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Have a general idea in mind of where you want it to go. As bluey said, the plan may change a bit but it’ll be easier to make it into one coherent piece if you put some thought into it now.

Zorba
Participant
@zorba

Here’s my spin. Tastes vary, do what YOU like etc. But since you asked…

Do plan ahead.

BUT

Negative space is important. Read that again. I *personally* don’t care for sleeves in the way they’re usually done. Too much going on, the beauty is lost in the noise, etc. etc.

Plan your arm, but leave open space – it will look MUCH better IMHO.

Dems me thoughts.

nautilus
Participant
@nautilus

thanks for your thoughts, Zorba. I think I have a good idea now of what im going to do, seeing as my first tat is a shellfish, I think ill do an anchor, can be conected to a ship on my upper arm, with a giant octopus or squid attacking it on my shoulder. I can see it now… ๐Ÿ˜€ cept im broke as shit.

gennyohhh
Participant
@gennyohhh

I have two smaller tattoos and one larger one my forearms from different artists with very different skill levels. I honestly didn’t even consider sleeves until I got my third on my arms. I think that in the long run, you will have a much more cohesive and put-together look if you plan it now. I don’t regret any of my tattoos, but I would love them even more if they were from the same artist. That’s just my two cents. ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.