Rukh
Participant
@rukh

Hi everybody. I’ve been wanting to start getting work done on full sleeves for quite some time now. The first thing I am going to have done is a medical alert tattoo on both wrists, one with a crossed out bee, and the other with something representing crossed out penicillin, as I am very allergic to both. After those are done, I want to start on my left sleeve in earnest.

I’d like to have realistic flames done on my left wrist, travelling up my arm. I’m not looking for traditional hot-rod style scalloped flames with an outline, but something that looks more like a realistic fire with definition mostly by heavy yellow/red/orange/brown shading.

I’ve asked various artists at the local shops in the areas that I’ve lived in over the years whether they know of anybody who does that, and I usually get some variation on “No, I don’t know of anybody who’s known for that. I have done realistic stuff, but never realistic fire. I could do it though.”

I appreciate their confidence, but this is a lifelong commitment I am making here. I’m hesitant to just jump in without seeing successful results of similar work – as evidenced by the fact that I’ve wanted to do this for ~10 years, and still haven’t gone ahead.

Should I keep holding out for somebody who has verifiable experience with this sort of tattoo, or should I quit being so uptight and give an unproven quantity a shot at it? What do y’all think?

TIA for your replies! 🙂

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

in order for me to say ok and go for it I would have to have found some really good realism in their portfolio, really good……….otherwise I would have to keep looking

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

Hi there and welcome to the forum. I’m not an expert in tattoos, but personally, I would want to wait until I found someone with proven abilities that I really liked and felt confident about. With that said, a really quality artist with a great portfolio who has not done fire before should be very capable of doing the fire you describe. If you can’t find someone with the experience of doing the exact fire design you want, you should look over many artist’s portfolios to find one that demonstrates the skills and talent necessary to make you the fabulous fire tattoo you are desiring. Don’t rush into anything until you are absolutely confident and comfortable with your choice. I hope this helps. Perhaps other more experienced forum members will have some valuable advice for you. Good luck! :):):)

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Look for someone who does the style that you’re looking for. it doesn’t have to be flames specifically, but make sure the style matches and quality is top notch. Don’t settle for subpar work; there are too many fantastic artists out there to do that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.