robinji
@

Okay the story is like this. Im from Sweden, I went traveling in New Zealand 2009 and fell madly in love with the country. I went back 2010 and stayed for more than a year, I love all about it, the culture, the people, the nature.. even more than my own country. I got some real good friends and I want to go back as soon as Im done with school here.. but i want a memory from that time, and I want to show my love for NZ. So i was thinking about getting a tattoo saying “Aotearoa” which means “the land of the long white cloud” in maori. The original name of NZ. But my question is, is it okay for a me to get this tattoo or will it look weird when I go back to NZ? are people gonna think “why does that swede have Our country name tattooed on her arm” ? Will maoris get offended ? Do u guys know what I mean?

All help appreciated 🙂 Thanks!

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Well I am not from there so I certainly can’t speak about their particular culture, but if, as an American, I got an Italian flag tattooed on me, no one in Italy is going to think “Hey, why does that American have our flag on him?”

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Yes i personally can’t see any problem with it. There was this guy getting a USA flag half sleeve in when i was getting my fingers done and he is from Liverpool.

Briscogun
Participant
@briscogun

I don’t see how that could be offensive or viewed as odd. If you were getting a sacred cultural symbol or something native I could see an issue with it, but its just a name. If it means something to you, go for it!

Let us know what you decide, and make sure you post a pic when its done. Good luck with it!

hamsternuts
Participant
@hamsternuts

it’s your skin dude, and it’s not like it’s an insult to them, if anything, it’s a compliment

DO IT.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.