AwesomeMcTawesome
Participant
@awesomemctawesome
mrchen;99749 wrote:
Miami Ink has one good burnt out artist on it Garver, the show is for non-tattooed people to watch, the quailty of work being produced is mostly shit, the shop is fake, its about human nature stories

I just spat coffee on my keyboard reading this 😀

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

gotta call it like I see it, Ive personally watched Bob Tyrrell, Brandon Bond, Jess Yen, Lorcifer, Sean Herman, Russ Abbott, Josh Woods, Corey Miller, Paul Booth, Rodney Raines, Joshua Carlton, Nate Beaver, and 5 dozen other members of the worlds best tattoo and they make Miami Ink look like a kitchen magicians shop………………but just my 2 cents

Adler
Participant
@adler

I’m going to mostly agree with Aussie Tom on this one. I would not be embarassed to be covered in nothing but Sailor Jerry flash from Smith St or the like. I wouldn’t go as far as saying if you don’t appreciate it you don’t deserve tattoos but to dismiss flash and it’s importance in the history of tattooing is ignorant. And we can’t talk about it’s lack of originality, either. I can somewhat compare it to the animal portrait tattoo that D3 has and the pinup I have done by Shane O’Neill. They are both great tattoos and very well done but when an artist replicates a picture that can’t exactly be considered original either but still well done. The people who have created timeless flash sheets and continue to do so are extremely talented and have created pieces of art that last forever. And just because a design may look simplistic in nature does not mean it requires any less artistic talent to create.

I have no problem with small tattoos if they’re done well and if someone has well done stars than so be it. As for script, I’m mostly not a fan of the long, drawn out phrases that so many people feel the need to get to inspire themselves with poems, song lyrics and life mottos. To me they look likie shit and are lame. I cringe when I read about people who need 10 lines of script in order to live their lives better. I’ve seen some simple, two or three word script tattoos that are decent but that’s about it. To me, script works best when it can accentuate an image but not as a stand alone piece.

Aussie Tom
Participant
@aussie-tom
mrchen;99749 wrote:
I dont understand people who are not sailors or marines getting nautical stars, and unfortunately most nautical star tattooes are produced in trailer parks and peoples kitchens, this has ruined peoples taste for them, the nautical star is a fine tattoo in my opinion, if you got yours at the trailer and it looks like it, I aint gonna be happy………….but nautical stars and classic flash kick serious ass in my opinion

script and text I dont get, lines move, lines grow, sometimes unevenly, text and script does not look good long term, your body changes, things move in the dermis alittle. besides ………..WHY QUOTE ANYONE ON YOUR BODY………….ARE YOU NOT AN ORIGINAL………ISNT YOUR TATTOO TO SHOW YOUR ORIGINALITY?……….text and script suck

Miami Ink has one good burnt out artist on it Garver, the show is for non-tattooed people to watch, the quailty of work being produced is mostly shit, the shop is fake, its about human nature stories

and keep in mind folks, we are grown ups here, I AM OFFERING YOU MY OPINION, I aint the God of anything, MY OPINION is for you to agree or disagree with, if we were all the same that wouldnt be much fun, there aint another like me, feel free to love or hate anything I say and I want to hear your opinions too…………a wise man considers all sides of a story

I don’t see the point in arguing that because you’re not a sailor you shouldn’t getting nautical stars. I mean mrchen you have some great asian inspired tattoo’s, should you not have them because you’re from a western race? The rest of what you have written I pretty much agree with.

Knitrocks
Participant
@knitrocks
yodaddynukka;99697 wrote:
I dont mind any tattoo as long as it is well done.

Agree. I also tend to dislike very small tattoos on large limbs. Somehow I just think it don`t fit in properly.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
Aussie Tom;99744 wrote:
Me determining is no different to anything MrChen and co do around here. They seem to be able to tell everyone what they should like. This thread is about opinions then I am perfectly vaild in saying that if you don’t appreciate flash then you shouldn’t be getting tattoos, that’s my opinion. You have said stuff about the artists who created it when you said “Flash are simplistic, mass-produced designs often requiring little talent on the part of the artist”.

Actually, you didn’t simply state your opinion; you told me what my opinion should be. You don’t have any authority over anyone or anything. Furthermore, I didn’t say a single thing about the artists who created the flash. Are you seriously so obtuse that you actually thought I was talking about the creators?

Adler;99758 wrote:
And we can’t talk about it’s lack of originality, either … The people who have created timeless flash sheets and continue to do so are extremely talented and have created pieces of art that last forever. And just because a design may look simplistic in nature does not mean it requires any less artistic talent to create.

You’re taking what he claimed I said and making it as if I am the one who said it. There was absolutely nothing said nor implied in regards to the original artist’s talent or originality. What is unoriginal is the 10,000 people who get the same exact tattoo. And even so, if that’s people’s thing, it doesn’t bother me at all. It’s their skin.

He just came into the thread looking to start an argument because someone’s opinion differed from his own but rather than simply stating his opinion, he decided to act like an ass.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Now now girls stop arguing different people like different thing’s stop or ill e-batter you all <3

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

To step in a moment.

Healthy and fierce debate is allowed and encouraged and I think both sides have got their opinions across in the debate – but lets not let it roll on so it becomes a flame war.

All of my tattoos to date are custom but I still like flash and have many books filled with it from the tunr of the century to present day.

The size of a tattoo is irrelevant as long as it is well executed I have seen many small pieces that have looked great as stand alone or part of a filler.

One day I might even get some if a design grabs me enough.

However when it comes to artistic skill argument it is very simple;

The artist who drew the flash needs skill to create it.

The artist who applies the flash to skin needs skill to make sure it does not come out looking like a dogs arsehole.

However the key issue is that tattooing is a business and the point of the business is to make money. I am sure that the majority of artists would love to do custom work only but for many in the cut throat business flash is the bread and butter work that gets the bills paid.

If a customer wants flash and the artist is willing to give them flash there is no issue – it is a job. If a person wants a piece of flash again personal choice – they like the design – enough said.

Take Care
Matthew

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

Im gonna use some classic flash as filler too, when well done it looks great,
(aussie, I lived in the east)

Dan
Participant
@dan

@Wardy 99680 wrote:

The title sounds very direct don’t take it to heart.

I was just wondering about the little tattoo’s really, what is it you have against them for example (Nautical stars, script etc..)

I know different people like different things but a lot of people on this forum talk’s about them as they are rubbish tattoo’s when a lot of really well known artists have them like on miami ink and they actually blend in to a sleeve well in my opinion

Just curious

thanks in advance people.

I have nothing against them,as a matter of fact most of my 29 years of getting tattooed are “little tattoos” ,after all of them it looks like I am sleeved LOL

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

I think anything can look great if well done. I like big bold short text on very heavily tattooed people or on hands of full sleeved people but absolutely hate small shitty scribble font text tattoos that have cheesy lines and on people with no tattoos, just my personal preference I think they look shit.

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

It all depends on what you want. I got into tattoos not knowing a fucking thing. My wife got one. I got one. I wanted more. After I got four (lizards) I wanted to tie them together and build on that. If I have an item I want tattooed, I’ll get a small tattoo of it. I’m considering several, but they will be unique to me.

There may very well be a weird, out-of-place tattoo on me sometime. Something like a coffee pot, or urinal, but well placed and (somewhat) tasteful.

No text, no tribal, and no portraits for me. Get a “tailor made” tattoo. Don’t get one “Off the rack!”

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove

I can appreciate a tattoo like a nautical star for the fact they’re probably really hard to tattoo being nothing but a bunch of really straight lines, but they’re not for me.

There are tattoos I like for no other reason but the fact they look cool. That’s a perfectly valid reason. I actually don’t care what other people do, but I offer my opinion if they want it. It doesn’t particularly get my ire up.

Call_me_Lola
Participant
@call_me_lola

I was never a big fan of traditional style tattoos, however, on this forum people have posted pics of some traditional pieces that I really really found myself liking. Much to my surprise, I should say. Some of those were from flash. I think that there is art in some of that flash, but whether it appeals to me or not is just a matter of my own personal taste. As with all art an image either speaks to me or doesn’t. And I can appreciate a well done tattoo regardless of whether the image itself is to my taste. And regardless of size. I think a sleeve of many small images collected over time can be quite interesting.

Dan
Participant
@dan

@Call_me_Lola 132628 wrote:

I was never a big fan of traditional style tattoos, however, on this forum people have posted pics of some traditional pieces that I really really found myself liking. Much to my surprise, I should say. Some of those were from flash. I think that there is art in some of that flash, but whether it appeals to me or not is just a matter of my own personal taste. As with all art an image either speaks to me or doesn’t. And I can appreciate a well done tattoo regardless of whether the image itself is to my taste. And regardless of size. I think a sleeve of many small images collected over time can be quite interesting.

my “sleeves” are exactly that,I started getting small pieces in the early 80’s at old school club shops that stayed open til 2am,then it became filling in,and ended up now being kind of a roadmap of my life,they definitely tell my story,

but I do admire the large full sleeve tattoos that are being done these days,I like them a lot,

would I do it differently if I could do it over ? maybe some,but I like my arms,

I have still kind of done the same thing on my legs with a few bigger ones,

and the newest one on my side is by far my largest piece,

no regrets.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.