#37893
Wardy
Participant
    @wardy

The title sounds very direct don’t take it to heart.

I was just wondering about the little tattoo’s really, what is it you have against them for example (Nautical stars, script etc..)

I know different people like different things but a lot of people on this forum talk’s about them as they are rubbish tattoo’s when a lot of really well known artists have them like on miami ink and they actually blend in to a sleeve well in my opinion

Just curious

thanks in advance people.


Are you going to bark all day little doggy or are you going to bite?
#114795
anonymous
Participant
    @anonymous

I just don’t see the visual appeal in script or Nautical stars. Nautical stars also show no originality; they’re flash.

Now as for little tattoos in general, I don’t dislike them at all. I just personally prefer larger pieces or smaller pieces that can be tied together in a visually appealing way. Now if you were going to get all smaller color pieces, well that’s a common theme and the right artist can certainly bring them together. Regardless of how good the artist is though, you usually can’t mix B&G with color, drastically different styles, etc. and have it look like a cohesive set.

I don’t feel the need to plan out entire limbs at once, but I want to at least have some ideas in mind of what I could add down the road before getting anything at this point. For example, I’m getting a color piece on my left calf so I won’t get anything in B&G on the lower half of that leg at least because it just wouldn’t mesh. A lot of the world renowned artists I’ve talked to won’t even tattoo an area that has other pieces that they don’t think will mesh with theirs.

#114797
BigZach
Participant
    @bigzach

Different people have different opinions. Some will view nautical stars as art and others will evidently view them as flash and unoriginal. There have been many discussions on this forum as to getting a tattoo for its artistic appeal, and if you dig nautical stars, then go for it! Granted, there are many people who have them and out of those people, many of them chose poor locations and poor artists for them.

Not every tattoo is going to be original, but I feel that what most people bag on about tattoos such as the nautical star is that there is hardly any room for customization. Color, line size, and placement are just about it when choosing different styles of nautical stars. These are the people who most likely put a lot of thought into their tattoos, which is in no way a bad thing at all, everyone should and rightfully so.

Another tattoo that is everywhere is a Koi, you hear people saying how unoriginal they are as well. Tattoos have been around for hundreds and hundreds of years, so how aren’t more designs “unoriginal” when most of them have already been applied to skin in some fashion.

If you dig a nautical star or a script tattoo, go for it, just make sure that you chose a good artist that will produce a killer tattoo, some people may bag on it, but who cares? It’s your body and your decision, do what you want.

Zach

#114798
msmercury
Participant
    @msmercury

I don’t really have a problem with small tattoos. However, I do favor larger ones, and there are some small, feminine tattoos I would like to get after I get my memorial tattoo done, which is going to be a medium size. Script is nice if not overdone. Script seems to be more popular with females than males. I think there are a lot of people that just favor and appreciate the more original art in general even if the flash and so forth is well done and attractive. So, while I can appreciate all of it, and it can look great on other people, it might not be right for me. People’s tastes can change over time too. You just never know what you may end up liking or disliking in the future! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I try to find beauty in everything and everyone. 🙂

#114802
arnoldsantos1
Participant
    @arnoldsantos1

I have no problem with small tattoos. As long as it’s designed to age well, placed where the shape of the tattoo fits and flows with the body part, and executed well.

I think this is sick
nautical-tattoo-3.gif

I don’t care for this
**Ad link removed**


#114810
yodaddynukka
Participant
    @yodaddynukka

I dont mind any tattoo as long as it is well done.


instagram: jookiest
#114819
Aussie Tom
Participant
    @aussie-tom
D3FiANC3;99682 wrote:
I just don’t see the visual appeal in script or Nautical stars. Nautical stars also show no originality; they’re flash.

If you don’t appreciate flash then you don’t deserve tattoos.

#114829
Amok
Participant
    @amok

Just not a fan of the way it looks and the majority are stupid quotes. Talking about script here, not flash.


Instagram: pacsyd
#114834
buttwheat
Participant
    @buttwheat

Because they are all tattoos of the day and show little to no originality.
Tattoos and trends shouldn’t mix. Trends are here today and gay tomorrow tattoos tend to be kind of permanent.

#114837
anonymous
Participant
    @anonymous
Aussie Tom;99707 wrote:
If you don’t appreciate flash then you don’t deserve tattoos.

What an asinine comment. Flash are simplistic, mass-produced designs often requiring little talent on the part of the artist. If someone likes a flash design, that’s fine for them, but they’re not my thing. Putting that aside for a second, you don’t get to decide who does and doesn’t “deserve” anything. Take your massive ego and stupidity elsewhere.

#114843
Aussie Tom
Participant
    @aussie-tom
D3FiANC3;99727 wrote:
What an asinine comment. Flash are simplistic, mass-produced designs often requiring little talent on the part of the artist. If someone likes a flash design, that’s fine for them, but they’re not my thing. Putting that aside for a second, you don’t get to decide who does and doesn’t “deserve” anything. Take your massive ego and stupidity elsewhere.

Those simplistic mass-produced designs are the foundings of what tattoing in the western world is today. If it wasn’t for people like Bert Grim, Milton Zeis, Sailor Jerry, Ed Hardy, Owen Jensen and co producing and tattooing flash throughout the 1900s we wouldn’t have tattooing as it is today. One of the most successful shops in the world (smith street) tattoos 95% of their images from flash sheets. If you can’t appreciate flash for its history and the fundamentals gained in tattooing from it then you are hardly a “serious collector”.

And no Ed Hardy is not some design on a t-shirt or cigarette lighter but if anyone deserves to make a profit of their images it’s him.

#114847
anonymous
Participant
    @anonymous
Aussie Tom;99733 wrote:
Those simplistic mass-produced designs are the foundings of what tattoing in the western world is today. If it wasn’t for people like Bert Grim, Milton Zeis, Sailor Jerry, Ed Hardy, Owen Jensen and co producing and tattooing flash throughout the 1900s we wouldn’t have tattooing as it is today. One of the most successful shops in the world (smith street) tattoos 95% of their images from flash sheets. If you can’t appreciate flash for its history and the fundamentals gained in tattooing from it then you are hardly a “serious collector”.

And no Ed Hardy is not some design on a t-shirt or cigarette lighter but if anyone deserves to make a profit of their images it’s him.

You seem hell bent on determining what people “deserve” and what ink they should like and dislike. Do you truly believe that you are that important? You’re not. This is a thread about opinions and you have trolled your way in for the sole purpose of starting an idiotic argument. I simply stated that I am not a fan of flash. I have said nothing about the artists who create it, nor have I criticized the capitalism behind the creation of flash. And I sure as hell have nothing against people getting any ink they like.

As for the “serious collector” comment – what ever gave you the impression that I had any desire to be a “serious collector”? And who made you king anyway? Seems like a typical 18-19 y/o attitude ….

#114848
AwesomeMcTawesome
Participant
    @awesomemctawesome

When I turned 19 I got a tattoo of a Lion (black) to represent where I’m from (Joining the Royal Air Force, I wanted something to remind me of home) and the Football team I support (Soccer for the Spams lol) which was flash. Shortly after this I got 8 x Kanji on my left forearm (I’m a big fan of asian art still think Kanji is beautiful) then not long after that I had some flash stars arranged like my zodiac sign constallations and my zodiac sign (Cancer).

At the time I only knew of these kind of tattoos and though they where the dogs bollocks. Having seen many more different tattoo styles/custom designs, my eyes are open to a better way (IMHO) of getting a tattoo. I wound not say I regret getting them, but if i’d have know what was possible, I would have had something much different.

But I still believe flash designs are a good way to get an idea of what you would like (maybe with a few changes) and in some peoples cases will be exaclly what they are after. Each to their own!


Everyday is a Tattoo day
#114852
Aussie Tom
Participant
    @aussie-tom
D3FiANC3;99737 wrote:
You seem hell bent on determining what people “deserve” and what ink they should like and dislike. Do you truly believe that you are that important? You’re not. This is a thread about opinions and you have trolled your way in for the sole purpose of starting an idiotic argument. I simply stated that I am not a fan of flash. I have said nothing about the artists who create it, nor have I criticized the capitalism behind the creation of flash. And I sure as hell have nothing against people getting any ink they like.

As for the “serious collector” comment – what ever gave you the impression that I had any desire to be a “serious collector”? And who made you king anyway? Seems like a typical 18-19 y/o attitude ….

Me determining is no different to anything MrChen and co do around here. They seem to be able to tell everyone what they should like. This thread is about opinions then I am perfectly vaild in saying that if you don’t appreciate flash then you shouldn’t be getting tattoos, that’s my opinion. You have said stuff about the artists who created it when you said “Flash are simplistic, mass-produced designs often requiring little talent on the part of the artist”.

#114857
mrchen
Participant
    @mrchen

I dont understand people who are not sailors or marines getting nautical stars, and unfortunately most nautical star tattooes are produced in trailer parks and peoples kitchens, this has ruined peoples taste for them, the nautical star is a fine tattoo in my opinion, if you got yours at the trailer and it looks like it, I aint gonna be happy………….but nautical stars and classic flash kick serious ass in my opinion

script and text I dont get, lines move, lines grow, sometimes unevenly, text and script does not look good long term, your body changes, things move in the dermis alittle. besides ………..WHY QUOTE ANYONE ON YOUR BODY………….ARE YOU NOT AN ORIGINAL………ISNT YOUR TATTOO TO SHOW YOUR ORIGINALITY?……….text and script suck

Miami Ink has one good burnt out artist on it Garver, the show is for non-tattooed people to watch, the quailty of work being produced is mostly shit, the shop is fake, its about human nature stories

and keep in mind folks, we are grown ups here, I AM OFFERING YOU MY OPINION, I aint the God of anything, MY OPINION is for you to agree or disagree with, if we were all the same that wouldnt be much fun, there aint another like me, feel free to love or hate anything I say and I want to hear your opinions too…………a wise man considers all sides of a story


currently wearing 250 hours, and many more to go, cant explain what my ink means, its personal, it is about who I am
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.