dragonfly
Participant
@dragonfly

Your probably all going to think i am VERY silly!

Basically i have two medium sized tattoos (about the size of my hand) One of a gecko which was done in Thailand and is a bamboo tattoo (ouch!) and another dragonfly on the side of my leg (above the foot) of a dragonfly which my ex boyfriend did for me after my daughter died.

Now i have never ever sat through anymore than about 1 hour of tattooing in one go – The bamboo one was particularly hard because it was a lot more sore than the dragonfly… but i made it through ๐Ÿ™‚

anyway, i have found the most fantastic artist and it turns out she is leaving the country in 1 months time! So i want to go and see her and have a vine put across my boobs, shes fantastic and exactly who i want to do this job (its something i have thought about for years but have never found the right person and have spent so much time pregnant)

So… It looks like i am going to have to go to her studio and sit through a 3hr tattoo all in one sitting and i am FREAKING OUT a bit… my pain threshold is not great but my determination is, i gave birth to two children without any pain relief except entonox and i am not shy… I am just a bit worried its going to build up and up and get worse and worse and i am worried about it

so please, some moral support guys! And if anyone has any tips? I am even thinking of buying some numbing emela cream and using that before hand because i am that freaked!

thank you – will show off pictures when its done ๐Ÿ™‚

Amok
Participant
@amok

3 hours is easy, don’t worry! If you can go through childbirth you could get a tattoo in your sleep. From my experience the pain is about the same for the first 5 hours, after that I get a bit irritated but that’s probably just knowing its almost finished.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Three hours is nothing and as long as you stick to the meaty areas, it shouldn’t be particularly painful. Take a couple Tylenol if it helps ease your mind. :p

Panter
Participant
@panter

I have absolutely no pain threshold at all ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

But, I sat through my fifth seven hour plus session yesterday… you’ll be fine ๐Ÿ˜‰
Always the same for me, first 10-20 minutes, I wonder how I’m going to survive, then the next few Hours are OK until 5-6 hours in when it starts to really nag.

dragonfly
Participant
@dragonfly

Yeah that makes sense, when Gilbert was doing my dragonfly, he was REALLY heavy handed because he is just a beginner, it was his first realistically sized, PROPER tattoo and he went far too deep (so deep it blew out in a number of places quite massively) And i remember feeling okay about it after about 20mins and then after 30mins he said he wanted a break and stopped! It hurt again when he started, so i think with a proper artist who will possibly stop once an hour if at all, i will just have to deal with that first 20mins each time and then the other 40 will be okay ๐Ÿ™‚

My pain threshold is terrible but i respect this artist SO much (so much that i am travelling 40miles up the country to her and doing it in one sitting) that i wont move or flinch or complain.

Its my gift to myself after a terribly hard year ๐Ÿ™‚ Very excited!

Thanks for the support guys, i have some of my grandmothers codine! I think some of that will help me for that first 20min barrier!

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

You will probably do better than you think you will. I did 4 hours all in one session and did just fine. Towards the end I got a bit irritated and anxious, but that is to be expected as you near the end of the process. I’m very sorry to hear about the death of your daughter. I hope all goes well with your new tattoo. You’ll be ok, you’ve been through worse. ๐Ÿ™‚

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

You’ll be fine don’t worry ๐Ÿ™‚

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

You will be just fine. Be well rested eat well and just go to a happy place. DO NOT use anything to numb it the effects could ruin your tattoo. Bring some music or watch a movie or just talk to the artist the whole time.
Make sure you post pics after your done.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

no doubt, 3 hours no problem, get yourself ready, be well rested, well hydrated, first 10 minutes will suck tell yourself it is going toget better, it will………out your mind into something else, bring a laptop and a movie, some music you like, piece of cake

dragonfly
Participant
@dragonfly

Thanks all, understandably i am still a bit numb about the death of our baby girl (she was stillborn ๐Ÿ™ so no pain on her part which i am pleased of) I will post photos both of the amazing vine tattoo and the dragonfly that gilbert has been doing ๐Ÿ™‚

Knitrocks
Participant
@knitrocks

So sorry about your little baby girl, I hope you learn to live with the grief <3

Go get the tattoo!!! You will handle the pain easily. Have a good meal right before you go to the studio. Bring lotsa soft drinks and candy. Music? Breathing techniques? Anyway good luck ๐Ÿ™‚

Briscogun
Participant
@briscogun
Knitrocks;99669 wrote:
So sorry about your little baby girl, I hope you learn to live with the grief <3

Go get the tattoo!!! You will handle the pain easily. Have a good meal right before you go to the studio. Bring lotsa soft drinks and candy. Music? Breathing techniques? Anyway good luck ๐Ÿ™‚

+1. If you can give birth, a tattoo will be a breeze. I’ve seen my wife give birth three times, and there is NO WAY I could do what she did! It makes a tattoo look like a walk in the park.

Good advice above: Eat before you go, bring a soda and/or a favorite candy with you in case you get a little low on the blood sugars from the stress. Once you get into the process, the excitement of having the finished product will out weigh the temporary pain. Very similar to having a baby, its all temporary and you know the end result is awesome!

Don’t stress about it, you’ll be fine! I promise! And maybe have someone drive you there and back in case you are a little sore after it’s done so you don’t have to make the 40 mile trek solo?

Good luck! And enjoy!

dragonfly
Participant
@dragonfly

Hello all ๐Ÿ™‚

Just to let you know i got my tattoo yesterday, i sat for 4 hours and got it done in one!

It was SORE!!!

I will post a better picture when its not covered in blood and crap and i am in better clothes but for now…

IMGP2026.jpg

I LOVE it, it was well worth the pain and my tattoo artist was just lovely to get to know ๐Ÿ™‚

Adler
Participant
@adler

Congrats, from the picture your tattoo looks very nice. I assume that would be a very sensitive area for a ladies tattoo.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Congrats it looks awesome!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.