Papa Hart
Participant
@papa-hart

Hello to all .I am a 37 yr old Tattoo collector and I love the industry & business of tattooing.I always wanted to be a Tattoo artist since I was a kid but cant draw at all . My question is this being that I am too old to get good training to draw or possibly fit in as an apprentice at my age I was thinking of just going to school for a business degree and maybe establishing my own shop from the ground up. Does anyone know if this has been done before or if it is possible to run a shop without having a Tattoo background? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Ami James seems to be managing just fine. OK, so he can tattoo, but he’s not terribly good and he will always be primarily a business man imho.

Papa Hart
Participant
@papa-hart

so…your saying i should go for it?

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Never to old man. But yes some of the most most successful (not the best) shops are run by non tattooers.
For the most part an artist is usually not to good at running a business and a business man is not a good artist they use different parts of the brain.

maniacthw
Participant
@maniacthw

Hart & Hunnington. That’s all I’ll say.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
Papa Hart;99219 wrote:
so…your saying i should go for it?

If you have a solid business plan, the know-how to carry it out, and it’s something you really want to do, then go for it.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

one of the masters of black and grey Bob Tyrrell started in his 30’s, here, one of Atlanta’s finest shops 13 Roses is managed by a business man……yeah, no reason not to go for it

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.