honeylissabee
Participant
@honeylissabee

First, as a quick introduction I am a 20 year old female. I also have a tendency to ramble a bit in these settings, but I want to make sure I explain everything thoroughly.

I have been wanting to get a tattoo for the past three years or so. I’ll admit, my design ideas have changed a lot since then (with some elements remaining constant with each design). This design will have a lot of symbolism, but one of the main ones is to represent my ongoing recovery from depression and self-injury (cutting).

I also have a bit of a challenge when it came to finding a location for the design. I am an education major (early childhood), and tattoos are often frowned upon when it comes to jobs in schools (or preschools). So, I needed to find location that can be easily hidden. At the same time, I have strict standards of modesty. I’ll need my tattoo hidden for certain purposes, but I certainly want people to see it. After careful consideration, I’ve realized that the ankle/calf area is the most ideal location for me.

Now, onto the design itself:

I’m including some images for visual reference.

I want the main design to be a peacock feather pen (though not necessarily one that looks exactly like the one in the image). Instead of the flowers pictured with the feather there, however, I want my two birth month flowers: a rose and honeysuckle. The pearl and alexandrite pictured with the flowers are for color reference. I want the rose to be purple/pink and green to represent alexandrite and the honeysuckle to represent the pearl.

I also want to include my life verse reference: Jeremiah 29:11-14 in the design (in black). I also had thoughts of adding my motto: “Beautiful, Loved, Worthy, Free: Regardless,” but I realize that all of that is probably too much. Would simply adding “Regardless” to the scripture reference and feather/flowers still be too much?

The overall design definitely has a lot of symbolism. I’m a multi-dimensional person when it comes to figuring out a design. I want a design where I can simply tell people “I love to write” if they ask about the design, but I can also give more details about minor symbolism.

In other notes, I am fair-skinned and I do not tan easily (or at all).

I’m just a little worried that this design won’t “work” for the ankle/calf area, but that’s really the only area I can picture myself getting a tattoo.

6258630267_3129d4c971.jpg

Thanks for the help!

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

I don’t see whyit wouldn’t work. If the peacock feather pen is the primary image, then the shape should fit your calf perfectly. The scripture reference could be included virtually anywhere – let the artist decide where. I wouldn’t add any more text than that personally.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

welcome to the forum, your design inncoorporates alot of parts, one thing alot of us have done in the past is put size restrictions on a piece, we got the tattoo we wanted but should have gotten it bigger. I would plan on giving up some space for this one, it doesnt sound like an ankle tattoo, calf yes.

as little text as possible, text doesn treally look good in body ink, more text is just more clutter

and I would always recommend find a TOP RATED local artist whose portfolio you have seen and admire and that portfolio is admired by people thruout the state you live in, go see that person and he will take your design elements and build them into a tattoo. Good luck, we want to see it

honeylissabee
Participant
@honeylissabee

I did cut out a lot of detail from my original ideas.

To be completely honest, I have also considered nixing the flowers and opting for a black/grey feather pen (which is a likely option if I realize the white flowers won’t work). I do love the idea of all the details, but at this point, I am somewhat flexible.

I am torn though. There is a lot of significance in the overall design, but I understand that I am taking a risk with the white element.

Amok
Participant
@amok

Most of us here are collectors and not artists, if you go to a GOOD shop and speak to an artist whose work you like you will get a much better idea of what works and what doesn’t. This part of the process is usually free but they may want a deposit.

JENerationX
Participant
@jenerationx

I would rethink any text as well, simply because it doesn’t sound like you want a BIG piece, and small text will look wonky fast. This is definitely something that’s probably best as big as you’re willing to go if you want a detailed feather.

One suggestion would be rather than the entire rose, maybe consider a few petals. That would allow the shape of the entire piece a little more freedom.

Start looking at artist portfolios and then go in and talk over your ideas and the artist will be able to guide you in the right direction.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.