metalmancpa
Participant
@metalmancpa

I started my search about a month ago to look for an artist to do my 2nd tattoo. So far I’ve had an email exchange with one well known artist. After a few back and forths he said he thought my tattoo idea was a good one (and creative), but he couldn’t take on any new clients due to the projects he has going on. I wonder how people are able to get time with a very popular artist.
I figured no harm in trying, but in my case Nick Baxter is just too busy for me.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

I have found that it greatly depends on the style of tattoo you’re seeking. A lot of the great B&G portrait artists, for example, are booked pretty far out but still scheduling people (e.g. O’Neill, Hoogland, etc.). Same goes for most traditonal artists. When you start getting into the great color artists – in particular the ones that do the totally original abstract stuff – the wait can be in years, they may be extremely selective about the work they take on, or they may not take on any new clients at all.

Nick Baxter, the Kern brothers, Nikko … these guys seem to be very hard to book period, but especially if you are a new client. Personally, I would just move on to another artist and if you really love their work, save some skin for them w/ the small hope you might catch them in the future.

Amok
Participant
@amok

Yeah I’ve had the same issues, 1-2 year wait for the top artists. With a little digging you can find an up and coming artist who can pull off decent tattoos, I like supporting this kind of guy/gal.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

yeah Baxter is always hard, he travels ALOT, NIkko too, but there are alot of others that can get you in,
if you shout out and area and style I am sure some folks can throw you some ideas

metalmancpa
Participant
@metalmancpa

At this point Nick Baxter & Mike Devries came back stating they are not taking new appointments. I have not heard back from Nikko Hurtado or Brandon Bond. Gunnar Gaylord emailed me with his interpretation of what I want, and we will be talking on the phone in the next week or so to discuss further, so he might be the one.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

brandon will tattoo you, so will dozens of others, oneil and hobgood have openings [retty far out as has been said, tony manicia is available, if your more horror oriented frank la natra can hook you up, sena herman (just in rebela ink as one of the worlds finest) can dazzle you with some color, as can atlanta vince villalvazo (see him in this months international tattoo arts magazine) he can knock out color of black and grey, dave tedder (brandon bonds longest employee and collaborator) can hook you up, there are plenty of folks, taylor cort, lenny renken etc

metalmancpa
Participant
@metalmancpa
mrchen;104521 wrote:
brandon will tattoo you, so will dozens of others, oneil and hobgood have openings [retty far out as has been said, tony manicia is available, if your more horror oriented frank la natra can hook you up, sena herman (just in rebela ink as one of the worlds finest) can dazzle you with some color, as can atlanta vince villalvazo (see him in this months international tattoo arts magazine) he can knock out color of black and grey, dave tedder (brandon bonds longest employee and collaborator) can hook you up, there are plenty of folks, taylor cort, lenny renken etc

I do realize there are many great artists I could go to. I’m probably being overly selective, but from a person who has only 2+ hours of ink on him and is potentially looking at his 2nd and last tattoo, I want it not only be special but to come from a widely known artist (just my personal preference). That’s why I contacted Nick Baxter, Mike DeVries,Nikko Hurtado, Brandon Bond, Gunnar Gaylord – it became a short list based on my research.

It’s hard to look at a portfolio and know if that artist could kill your idea. I think probably Brandon would do my idea the best, but I also know Gunnar could too. So far of my list only Gunnar has come back with the potential of doing it. Nick/Mike said they couldn’t, and haven’t heard from Nikko/Brandon.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

tbh the best way to get a renowned artist to do a piece on you is to have a really original idea that appeals to their own style because they know that they will enjoy doing it. i got really lucky with my next artist because he was really interested in the piece as a whole so they are willing to find room for me even though its gonna mean i have to travel 5 hours to get to him! you can also always try and get them to agree to tattoo you at a convention but i dont know the best way to go about this so you might want to check with some of the other guys 🙂 good luck in your quest! 😀

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

Brandon is tattooing Ryan Howard of the Phillies right now, but he could tattoo you too, you log into http://www.allornothingtattoo.com contact his assistant Nicole, send deposit, they will email date, show up at private studio, 88 inch plasma, 10,000 movies, games, drink, art, and just you and BB, it is the best place you could get tattooed, he will take care of you.

many artists like Kitty said will want ALOT of freedom or total freedom, Tony Manica and most of the black and grey guys will. They have a certain style and really dont produce work outside of that realm

also the worlds greatests will be more likely to tattoo you after you have more work, and work of a similar qualtiy, they want to put their work on someone who is going to wear lots of good work, someone who will show the work, stand for photos etc……..they want their work to be scene, someone like me or yodaddy thta has a collection will ensure their work will get phtographed when we travel to shows and conventions.

metalmancpa
Participant
@metalmancpa
mrchen;104537 wrote:
Brandon is tattooing Ryan Howard of the Phillies right now, but he could tattoo you too, you log into http://www.allornothingtattoo.com contact his assistant Nicole, send deposit, they will email date, show up at private studio, 88 inch plasma, 10,000 movies, games, drink, art, and just you and BB, it is the best place you could get tattooed, he will take care of you.

many artists like Kitty said will want ALOT of freedom or total freedom, Tony Manica and most of the black and grey guys will. They have a certain style and really dont produce work outside of that realm

also the worlds greatests will be more likely to tattoo you after you have more work, and work of a similar qualtiy, they want to put their work on someone who is going to wear lots of good work, someone who will show the work, stand for photos etc……..they want their work to be scene, someone like me or yodaddy thta has a collection will ensure their work will get phtographed when we travel to shows and conventions.

I emailed Nicole with my idea and am waiting to hear back from her to see if there would be any movement forward with him. I kind of figured when I sent out myu proposal being pretty clear I am probably only getting this one more tattoo that it could potentially keep me from the artist who wants more canvas.

When I emailed back Gunnar Gaylord I was clear that my pictures and ideas are the inspiration for what I want, and I want the artist to render my idea in his/her way – full autonomy if you will. So at this point I will wait to speak to Gunnar on the phone. In the meantime if Nicole gets back to me I will then decide if I will be going to Brandon or Gunnar (if either works out). In both cases it means travelling from MA, but that’s OK if it’s the quality I expect from these artists.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

sounds good, hope you get hooked up, I know you have spent alot of time trying to make this work, I wanna see you get it done

metalmancpa
Participant
@metalmancpa

Looks like I’m almost there finding the artist. Man, one must be patient when being really picky with an artist choice. I’m down to two, which is part of my dilemna.

Gunnar Gaylord thinks the piece would be fun to do, meaning to me he would take me as a client. He says he doesn’t travel much (no problem for me to go to OH), but we haven’t had our phone conversation yet, although we have had many back and forth emails (just last night had a couple).

Brandon Bond is just now starting to take appointments for this year. I am just waiting for word back if he is interesting in taking my idea on – I have been emailing his shop and am assuming I’ve been emailing with an admin person. Hopefully I’ll find out that answer in the next couple of days. If he says no then Gunnar it is. BUT, if he says yes then it’s decision time.

Based on my limited knowledge of analyzing a tattoo portfolio, and having looked at both of their work, I feel Brandon is more matched to my idea, but what do I know? It’s so close when I look at each artists work that I know either one would do a great job.

Adler
Participant
@adler
metalmancpa;105685 wrote:
Looks like I’m almost there finding the artist. Man, one must be patient when being really picky with an artist choice. I’m down to two, which is part of my dilemna.

Gunnar Gaylord thinks the piece would be fun to do, meaning to me he would take me as a client. He says he doesn’t travel much (no problem for me to go to OH), but we haven’t had our phone conversation yet, although we have had many back and forth emails (just last night had a couple).

Brandon Bond is just now starting to take appointments for this year. I am just waiting for word back if he is interesting in taking my idea on – I have been emailing his shop and am assuming I’ve been emailing with an admin person. Hopefully I’ll find out that answer in the next couple of days. If he says no then Gunnar it is. BUT, if he says yes then it’s decision time.

Based on my limited knowledge of analyzing a tattoo portfolio, and having looked at both of their work, I feel Brandon is more matched to my idea, but what do I know? It’s so close when I look at each artists work that I know either one would do a great job.

I don’t know, I think since you’ve already had dialogue with Gunnar and he expressed interest in your idea you should probably go with him. I agree either artist would nail your piece and that’s why I like that you’ve already laid the beginning groundwork with Gunnar so let him run with it. As you know, you’ll maybe know more if there’s a phone conversation but a lot of times these things are done exclusively through email. Good luck, you obviously can’t go wrong with either artist so you should be on your way.

metalmancpa
Participant
@metalmancpa
Adler;105687 wrote:
I don’t know, I think since you’ve already had dialogue with Gunnar and he expressed interest in your idea you should probably go with him. I agree either artist would nail your piece and that’s why I like that you’ve already laid the beginning groundwork with Gunnar so let him run with it. As you know, you’ll maybe know more if there’s a phone conversation but a lot of times these things are done exclusively through email. Good luck, you obviously can’t go wrong with either artist so you should be on your way.

I was honestly thinking the same thing. Gunnar was the one that mentioned talking on the phone. If that happens before I hear back from Brandon then I’d say that would seal the deal (unless of course after all of this I don’t like the rendering – but I doubt that will happen).

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

gunnar would be more suited for a new skool cassette tape monster imo. good luck!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.