Thunder
Participant
@thunder

I recently had a cover up tattoo done on my leg. The tattoo was done in 3 sessions. The first session was just the outline and this was for 6 hrs. I used olive oil on it and when it finished peeling I used Palmer’s olive butter formula. Every night I wrapped it up in plastic wrap to sleep until the scabs came off. The first session took 1 month to fully heal. The 2nd session was for 10.5 hours. My skin got very tender and sore. I started using the palmers first on it but then I changed it back to the olive oil because the cream was too thick and when I was patting it, the scab started to raise up after 5 days…Now since it’s healed, it looked really light and can’t really make out the scales on the dragon. I took really good care of it for a month. I stayed home and did nothing just so my tattoo can heal good. What could have caused this to happen? I want to know if this is my fault or the artist’s fault ?

Briscogun
Participant
@briscogun

I’ve never heard of putting olive oil on a new tattoo, that’s a new one for me. And I can’t say I’ve heard of that Palmer stuff either. As far as keeping plastic wrap on it, you’re going to get a lot a conflicting comments on that one. A lot of people will say that a tattoo needs to breathe in order to heal, and keeping it covered allows bacteria to develop. But, all that being said…

Can you post a few pics so we can see? Might be easier to tell what’s going on.

Aahzz
Participant
@aahzz

Sounds like a weird aftercare regimen to me – who suggested using olive oil?

Joink
Participant
@joink

That’s definitely an odd aftercare treatment..Most artists I’ve talked to suggest using aquaphor/a&d for the first three days and then just fragrance free lotion after that as needed. You don’t need to wrap it up every night and I’m not sure what purpose the olive oil serves..Post up some pics so we can see it.

Thunder
Participant
@thunder

i just did what the artist told me to do..

Amok
Participant
@amok

Olive oil does not sound like a good idea to me, unless you’re cooking.

Amok
Participant
@amok

Here is a good aftercare from one of the best artists in Australia, I’ve used this method and had perfect healing

http://kianforreal.com/wp/tattoo-aftercare/

Thunder
Participant
@thunder

i have just uploaded the photo.. the individual scales could be seen barely… The tattoo looks like a big black thing frm far.. the scales cant be seen

Amok
Participant
@amok
Thunder;97448 wrote:
i have just uploaded the photo.. the individual scales could be seen barely… The tattoo looks like a big black thing frm far.. the scales cant be seen

It actually looks like a 30 yr old tattoo. You should call your artist and tell him/her what happened. Since you followed the artists care method, he should offer you a free touch up. I’m not sure if it can be fixed to a good standard, maybe an artist can chime in here?

Thunder
Participant
@thunder

Could i be allergic to the ink because i have sensitive skin?

Parademic
Participant
@parademic

you don’t want to wrap your tattoo in anything. If you wrap your leg in plastic, your leg will sweat, and thus cause moisture to get trapped in there. So you are essentially soaking your tattoo, which is a terrible idea.

Leave your tattoo alone, no moisturizers, or lotions, let it heal naturally with air.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

That is a very weird aftercare routine. Have you talked to your tattooist about the way it looks?
It looks as if it may have scabbed fairly heavily is this true? It may be new skin growing over the top of the tattoo. How old is this? You said three sessions but only talked about 2 is this after your 2nd session?

Thunder
Participant
@thunder

Its only a a month since the last session.. this is after the last session

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

the piece looks in terrible shape, I can only wonder what kind of ink this artist used, I dont beliieve it was any of the top brands. Aftercare instructions were also terrible, olive oil, NEVER,

unfortunately a good tattoo experience starts with choosing a known professional artist, not known by someone in the trailer park, but known by other top professional artists and tattoo collectors.

Amok has posted some good aftercare advice, there are also good methods listed on the websites of some of americans best tattoo shops like

allornothing tattoo.com
black13tattoo.com

unfortunately this tatoo will have to be done again, be a pro with some kick ass inks like eternal, the picture is kinda washed out by light but this does appear to be a piece a good artist could work over

my own aftercare method after 220 hours of ink, I wrap the first 6 hours, this lets all the plasma and junk work out of the injured skin, the wash, with my washed hand and very mild non sented soap, air dry for a couple hours, then wrap again, bone freakin dry, and usually its time for bed.
next day unwrap, wash, air dry and apply the lightest coat of aquaphor (baby rash oitnment) possible,
during the next 3 days I will wash my tattoo, air dry it and reapply aquaphor about 6 times a day, at night I will wrap it dry
the 4th day I will peel, no scabing EVER, may peel several times, usually use some very light lubriderm to get every spot to peel nicely, peeling stops tattoo is done, ready for final photos

Thunder
Participant
@thunder

the ink was kuro sumi

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.