Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Like what it says on the tin.

Im drawing a lot lately and after not getting on a Art Course at my local college because of a bad reference(Used to be a naughty little fucker at college) i need as much help as possible to practice my drawing and to learn techniques.

I’ve heard a lot of people on here have learnt from book’s showing you techniques on drawing etc.

I was wondering if some people could Link me or tell me the name to some good ones?

Thanks in advance everybody

๐Ÿ˜Ž

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi wardy

I would recommend anything by Barrington Barber who does basics o advanced on a variety of styles.
I would also recommend getting an anatomy book to aid with sketches.

Also consider a lightbox and do some traces of existing tattoos to get a feel for it. It is not cheating as just another style of drawing.

Matt

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Thank’s Sherav! so can tracing help improve your drawing?

And could you recommend a good anatomy book for me to buy?

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

There is a debate as some would argue it kills off innate skill.

I am of the opinion it helps train the mind to recognise certain shapes and aids in forming proportions on faces hands etc when drawing free hand.

The way to look at is a true artist can do a straight trace but also add a lot of fine detail and extras free hand whereas a non artist can only copys, it don’t hurt to have it as part of drawing routine.

matt

Talisman
Participant
@talisman
Wardy;96321 wrote:
Thank’s Sherav! so can tracing help improve your drawing?

And could you recommend a good anatomy book for me to buy?

Hi,
if you want to learn to draw, start by achieving milestones from the basic understanding of shapes, light and shade, and the different techniques of medium. Tracing is’nt drawing, but a technique to replicate a design and great for training a steady hand. To draw something out of nothing requires knowlege and lots of practice. Your mind will change to see things differently from how you see things now. It is about learning to see and learning from nature ie. space, form, colour, distance, perspective, light and dark etc..

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Thanks for the really good advice people.

I’ve heard people saying though that there are really good book’s to get basic skills to start off with and how to draw etc.. I was just wondering what book’s are good to learn from

ArniVidar
@arnividar

There are quite a few books available (on amazon or in a good book store) in the line of How To Draw….

They are really a set of ‘for dummies’ books in a way, because they do a great job of explaining the basics of each technique. I was playing with a How To Draw Anime one time, but I suck at drawing so I let it go ๐Ÿ˜€

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
ArniVidar;96332 wrote:
There are quite a few books available (on amazon or in a good book store) in the line of How To Draw….

They are really a set of ‘for dummies’ books in a way, because they do a great job of explaining the basics of each technique. I was playing with a How To Draw Anime one time, but I suck at drawing so I let it go ๐Ÿ˜€

Haha! never give up dude! :p

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Oh, a man’s gotta understand and respect his limits. I was never meant to be an artist. I design square and perpendicular things on the computer, and that’s enough for me ๐Ÿ™‚

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

If i think about it in 10years time i can’t see myself working as a tattoo artist. But i want to more than anything ๐Ÿ™ haha

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

If you just want to be a tattooer buy coloring books and learn how to shade. You can’t learn to be an artist. But you can learn techniques of drawing.
Being an artist is more something you are born with. kind of like being born with a tiny dick you can’t just learn to make it bigger.

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

You might try an old book called “The Natural Way To Draw”. It takes you through a year of study. You do the practices and exercises as they are laid out in the book. Also, a good book I learned of through Dave Van is called “Your Artist’s Brain”. There is also “Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain”. You can probably get one or all of these books at a library. The main thing is to practice, practice, practice. Draw, draw, draw everything and anything at every opportunity you have. These books will help teach you to observe and to see things correctly so you can draw what you see. Read and practice. You will have to put much time and effort into it, but it will pay off. I keep a sketch book in my car so I can sketch interesting things I see and if I’m stuck in the car for a time, it affords me another opportunity to draw and get some practice in. Hope this helps! :):):)

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Thanks mercury, them 2 books look really good and considering buying them ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank’s for the awesome advice.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.