ferri1c
@

Hello everyone this is my first thread. I do not have any tattoos and I don’t know much about them. However I do have a few questions that I will number, and if anyone knows any of the answers I’d appreciate some feedback.

I want tattoos on both arms from the shoulder to the elbow, but I have bad shoulders and have already had 5 surgeries. Right now they feel alright, but there is always a strong possibility that I will need another surgery in the future. So far every surgery was done arthoscopic so theres just 3 tiny dots on each shoulder. However theres always the risk that they might need to open me up with probally a 4 to 6 inch incision.

1. If I was to get ink done and in the future needed another surgery, would I be able to get the tattoo touched up after it heals?

2. Is the only option to leave my problem areas ink free and just go around where the potential scars could end up. (if thats the case then I might have to make an appointment with the doctor and have him sharpy where future scars would be, just so the tattoo artist would know where not to ink).

3. I like realism type of tattoos and I found a artist here in Michigan. I haven’t spoke to him yet. I know he does great work when duplicating a photo. Heres the problem. I don’t have a photo of what I want. Can tattoo artist draw a realistic photo or do they need it to exist to copy?

4. An example is on one arm I would like to make a memorial for my dad that just passed away. I do have one photo that I would like to use, but then there are lots of other things that I would like to tattoo also that I don’t have photographs too, with the end result being a collage of things that my dad enjoyed.

5. Can realism specialty tattoo artist think outside the box and come up with creative art like this collage or do they need actual photo’s?

6. I don’t want to sound high maintenance and stress out this artist between my shoulder surgery questions and the design. Are tattoo artists cool with drawing stuff up until I like something, (obviously I’d pay for the services)?

Thanks in advance! Like I said I know I sound high maintnace but I just want this to work out well especially since Im still emotional over the loss of my dad and I just want it to be perfect. Thank You!

Parademic
Participant
@parademic

For your scars, they say you have to wait a few years before you can get a scar tattoo’d. Apparently the scar doesn’t hold ink like normal skin does, and at first the scar tissue is very hard. I would say if you do have scars, definitely go ahead and use a vitamin E lotion on them daily. It will help fade the scar and get that area healthier for tattoo’ing.

As for having a tattoo then getting surgery then getting it touched up. You should have no problem doing that after a couple years. Just gotta hope that when you get glued up or staples or sewn, that the lines come close to matching up. Obviously depending on how thick the scar is, it could be more substantial than others, but for the most part, just wait a few years after your surgery and get it touched up. Should be fine.

As for your realistic picture for your dad, a great artist will have no problem taking your dad’s photo, taking your ideas and putting a tattoo together for you.

maniacthw
Participant
@maniacthw

Getting tattoos touched up, because of scars or age, are just part of maintaining a tattoo.

As for the artist, post his portfolio up. We’ve all seen some really bad artists come through here. The last thing you want is to get stuck with a piece that looks like shit.

Hylland
Participant
@hylland

I’ve seen the two sides of an incision heal with the lines being off as much as a inch and a half with no hope of repair. That whole mess would be on the guy stitching you up and if he feels like taking the time and effort to line it all up again for you. I am a realism artist and I can tell you it totally depends on the artist as to what they can pull off. Remember, if its a physical object there is probably a photo of it somewhere or a photo can be taken. I’ve gone as far as modeling and lighting things in 3d software, but most tattoo artist don’t have access or skills in that. Things can be made up and shaded right out of the old noggin and it will look good, but not as good as using reference. All of the top fantasy painters out there may be doing paintings of things that don’t exist, but they are using reference for all the elements that make up that image.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.