ThirtySix
@

Hello everyone,
I’m ThirtySix (the nickname not the age) and I’m asking people to help support the petition that has been raised to the UK Government regarding appearance-based discrimination in the workplace to people with tattoos and other body modifications.

I’ve been on both sides of the coin as an employee and employer and I’ve always believed that you should judge the abilities and the skills of a person NOT the way they look….

I hope that you all find time to visit the petition site and add your support…

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/2965

Thanks once again and it’ll be great to get this debated in Parliament!

There are facebook pages set up for the campaign as the petition is limited to 12 months in order to raise 100,000 signatures….

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tattoos-and-Body-Piercings-in-the-workplace-End-the-discrimination/252705184749888

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=120207334744814

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Don’t be stupid Wardy. Your post in this thread is more spam than the original one.

Parademic
Participant
@parademic

The problem is that no company will ever say “we aren’t hiring you because of visible tattoos”. They can say anything, like well he didn’t answer this question properly, or the way he sat we felt that he had a lazy demeanor.

Same with if a company hires you, then finds out you have tattoos and fires you within that first 3 months. They can say “without cause”, or say you didn’t work fast enough. Whether you did or not doesn’t matter. Companies let people go for bullshit reasons all the time. I took one personal day off from work (which is legal here in Canada) from a company that I worked for for 2 years because of a crazy ex-girlfriend who was stressing me out beyond belief. I went to work the next day (after I had obtained manager ok to take that day off), and got fired for “without cause”. They made up some bullshit about me not shaving frequently enough or something, and also said by me taking that personal day and not coming in, that was me resigning.

So really, a company can screw you over for whatever reason they make up, they will never say it’s because you are black, asian, hispanic, brown, white, a jew, muslim, tattoos, too fat, too skinny, etc.

I also bolded the crazy ex to really emphasize the crazy and the stress haha

Ned Kelly
Participant
@ned-kelly

Apologies for being a scrooge right off the bat, but am I the only one who feels that private business owners should be able to hire whomever they please? Do you really want ‘the gubment’ making laws favoring either party. Sheesh. Get tattoed at your own risk, educate peopple, be a good example or start your own business. 😉 I’ll be quiet now.

Amok
Participant
@amok

I work for a large company and I wouldn’t hire me if I had a facial/highly visible tattoo, and I wouldn’t blame them for saying no to someone who does. Unfortunately it’s bad for business to have people representing your company scaring the shit out of your customers.

If the tattoos can be hidden with normal work clothes and an employe is discriminated against, then I’d take issue with it.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
ArniVidar;94427 wrote:
Don’t be stupid Wardy. Your post in this thread is more spam than the original one.

Sorry 🙂 just used to stuff like this being spam 🙂

ArniVidar
@arnividar
Ned Kelly;94454 wrote:
am I the only one who feels that private business owners should be able to hire whomever they please?

Probably no the only one, no, but I for one don’t think it’s right that a black man won’t get hired because he’s black, or that a woman won’t get hired because she’s a woman. Why should tattooed people be any worse than other people?

Parademic
Participant
@parademic

Getting tattoo’d is a choice, being black, or a woman isn’t. Well, I guess being a woman can be a choice these days!

But the way I look at it is, if it’s nothing offensive then it should be ok. But then again, I am also growing up in the new society where tattoos are more socially accepted.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
Parademic;94528 wrote:
Getting tattoo’d is a choice, being black, or a woman isn’t.

That’s besides the point. Why should I be discriminated against for choosing to get tattooed, any more than I should be discriminated against for choosing to wear a green sweater and blue pants?

Parademic
Participant
@parademic

I’m not saying you should be. I’m playing devils advocate. I don’t think that tattoos should make you look like a worse employee, just like being black shouldn’t, or being a woman shouldn’t. I think people need to look at the credentials. And if anything, the fact that someone is willing to get tattoos and express who they are should be a benefit and a good thing in some jobs. That it shows that they have a passion for something and are willing to give it their all.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Imagine a priest with a sleeve.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
Wardy;94548 wrote:
Imagine a priest with a sleeve.

Yes?

Most of them do. What’s your point?

Parademic
Participant
@parademic

Priests have full sleeve tattoos?

I could actually see it being a pretty bad ass sleeve, angels, and demons, heaven and hell. Could be artistic!!

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Never said anything about sleeve tattoos.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.