Parademic
Participant
@parademic

Just use regular bar of soap and dab it on gently from a cloth, it’s fine

For my last tattoo I just used water splashed on and dabbed off for the first 3 days, then I used polysporin ointment once a day every day

Bluesman
Participant
@bluesman
Parademic;94201 wrote:
Just use regular bar of soap and dab it on gently from a cloth, it’s fine

For my last tattoo I just used water splashed on and dabbed off for the first 3 days, then I used polysporin ointment once a day every day

Well – i guess that’s what I will do, but for curiosity, Dial Gold???? What would fragrance do? Burn or ruin the tattoo????

Parademic
Participant
@parademic

Fragrances will irritate and slow the healing process down

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

It sucks that aftercare is such a clustered mess, but unfortunately, everyone’s skin is different, and different things work for different people. Follow the instructions given to you, if it doesn’t work out well, there is a great sticky about aftercare in this area of the forum. I have to agree with Arni, of course, color running down the skin is almost always a sign of too much ointment. It’s natural to be a little freaked about EVERYTHING about your first piece, tho. Good luck!

Bluesman
Participant
@bluesman
Dave Van;94207 wrote:
It sucks that aftercare is such a clustered mess, but unfortunately, everyone’s skin is different, and different things work for different people. Follow the instructions given to you, if it doesn’t work out well, there is a great sticky about aftercare in this area of the forum. I have to agree with Arni, of course, color running down the skin is almost always a sign of too much ointment. It’s natural to be a little freaked about EVERYTHING about your first piece, tho. Good luck!

Thanks Dave – That tattoo worked out just fine. being my first, I just freaked when I saw ink after washing the area LOL!!!
I am on the 2nd tattoo and was just asking about the proper soap. My artist told me he uses Dial Gold anti-bacterial liquid, but when I called the company who makes it, they say it does NOT come without fragrance, but they assured me fragrance and actuall scent or perfume is a lot different. The fragrance is non alcohol based. I am still afraid to use it so I will prob stick with the ivory bar. It worked well with the other tat. Now, I only use a very tiny amount of ointment and just keep spreading it really thin. MUCH better!

Adler
Participant
@adler

Using the Dial soap is fine even though it contains some fragrance, you’re rinsing it off anyway and not just rubbing it into the skin and leaving it. I like to use a generic brand of antibacterial soap because it’s less harsh and drying. After a couple of times I switch to a milder bar soap anyway so you’re fine with whatever you use.

Bluesman
Participant
@bluesman
Adler;94214 wrote:
Using the Dial soap is fine even though it contains some fragrance, you’re rinsing it off anyway and not just rubbing it into the skin and leaving it. I like to use a generic brand of antibacterial soap because it’s less harsh and drying. After a couple of times I switch to a milder bar soap anyway so you’re fine with whatever you use.

Thanks Adler – I used the Dial last evening and it worked great. I found out the formula in it has changed after doing some online reading. The dial now contains moisturizers and fragrance, but it is so mild, it actuall took away all the itching and made the skin aoft. Then I applied Aquaphor and all is well. This is a great place and I thank all of you for your assistance.

Parademic
Participant
@parademic

The problem with soap that contains the fragrance and moisturizer is that the irritation and the moisturizer will keep the wound open longer, which means more chance to loose ink / have a bad healing experience.

Tattoos are going to get itchy as hell, that’s what happens when your skin dries up and is healing. That’s specifically why I leave the tattoo alone for the first 3 days, I splash water on it, and then dab it off with a cloth gently. The splashes of water will help to remove the dryness from the skin and help to calm down the itching. Remember to use luke warm water, not cold, cold will make it itch more after you dry it.

After 72 hours, your would is closed and scabs are formed. So now it’s just key to use minor amounts of ointment or dry off the soap / water quickly, so that you don’t weaken and wreck the scab thus resulting in having ink pulled through the skin and again, a bad healing experience.

There are always little things here and there that change, but one thing that doesn’t change is that 3 days is a good amount of time to wait. You will be going nuts by the end of the 3rd day with the itching though. I know I was dying, but my inner arm tattoo healed out better than ever. Was the first tattoo I’ve healed like this, and it really does show a difference.

Bluesman
Participant
@bluesman
Parademic;94232 wrote:
The problem with soap that contains the fragrance and moisturizer is that the irritation and the moisturizer will keep the wound open longer, which means more chance to loose ink / have a bad healing experience.

Tattoos are going to get itchy as hell, that’s what happens when your skin dries up and is healing. That’s specifically why I leave the tattoo alone for the first 3 days, I splash water on it, and then dab it off with a cloth gently. The splashes of water will help to remove the dryness from the skin and help to calm down the itching. Remember to use luke warm water, not cold, cold will make it itch more after you dry it.

After 72 hours, your would is closed and scabs are formed. So now it’s just key to use minor amounts of ointment or dry off the soap / water quickly, so that you don’t weaken and wreck the scab thus resulting in having ink pulled through the skin and again, a bad healing experience.

There are always little things here and there that change, but one thing that doesn’t change is that 3 days is a good amount of time to wait. You will be going nuts by the end of the 3rd day with the itching though. I know I was dying, but my inner arm tattoo healed out better than ever. Was the first tattoo I’ve healed like this, and it really does show a difference.

Wow – I didn’t know all that! My artist’s instructions are so different. They stress the fact to wash that wound at least 3 times daily, then apply aquaphor which is a petroleum based ointment that still allows the tat to breath. I tale your word for it because of your good healing experience. These things aren’t cheap so I don’t want to have a bad looking tat, and even more than that, I don’t want him to have to go back in there and touch up where I may lose ink. Once healed, I would like it to stay that way!!! Thanks again.

maniacthw
Participant
@maniacthw
Bluesman;94234 wrote:
Wow – I didn’t know all that! My artist’s instructions are so different. They stress the fact to wash that wound at least 3 times daily, then apply aquaphor which is a petroleum based ointment that still allows the tat to breath. I tale your word for it because of your good healing experience. These things aren’t cheap so I don’t want to have a bad looking tat, and even more than that, I don’t want him to have to go back in there and touch up where I may lose ink. Once healed, I would like it to stay that way!!! Thanks again.

For a first time tattoo, and knowing how much (different) advice you’ll get about healing, I’d go by what your artist told you. It’s his name attached to the ink, and he wants it to look just as good as you do. Once you have a few tattoos, you can decide to heal it your own way. For now, go by what he told you.

Bluesman
Participant
@bluesman
maniacthw;94235 wrote:
For a first time tattoo, and knowing how much (different) advice you’ll get about healing, I’d go by what your artist told you. It’s his name attached to the ink, and he wants it to look just as good as you do. Once you have a few tattoos, you can decide to heal it your own way. For now, go by what he told you.

Thanks again – I am doing what he told me because as you said, it is his work and If I don’t go as planned he won’t fix anything that may go wrong. My basic question was about the Dial Gold soap. I am not losing ink like the very first tattoo (this is my 2nd), so I am pleased. I also switched from A&D to Aquaphor ointment. I will use that for 3 days then go to lubriderm lotion IF NEEDED. It’s healing nicely!

Have a great day

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

For healing i just use bepanthen cream and rinse with water once a day that’s all i do no lotion or anything and my tattoo’s come out fine.

Bepanthen for 2-3 weeks and rinse with water

Bluesman
Participant
@bluesman
Wardy;94246 wrote:
For healing i just use bepanthen cream and rinse with water once a day that’s all i do no lotion or anything and my tattoo’s come out fine.

Bepanthen for 2-3 weeks and rinse with water

Thanks Wardy..never heard of that cream but will look into it. Mine is looking fine, but it is a lot of work doing it the way my artist suggests. Rinsing with water and using a cream sounds like a plan. Def will look into that for my next ink!

Thank you!

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
Bluesman;94247 wrote:
Thanks Wardy..never heard of that cream but will look into it. Mine is looking fine, but it is a lot of work doing it the way my artist suggests. Rinsing with water and using a cream sounds like a plan. Def will look into that for my next ink!

Thank you!

No problem dude, im surprised you haven’t heard of bepanthen it’s nappy rash cream but apparently one of the best creams for healing tattoo’s and not very expensive. Defiantly worth a pick up if you walk past a chemist/boots.

Bluesman
Participant
@bluesman
Wardy;94248 wrote:
No problem dude, im surprised you haven’t heard of bepanthen it’s nappy rash cream but apparently one of the best creams for healing tattoo’s and not very expensive. Defiantly worth a pick up if you walk past a chemist/boots.

I am going to get it today. It’s only a 2 day old tat so I can start that cream now I suppose. I am tired of this ointment. It takes forever to wash the area and I feel I am doing more damage than good, even though it looks fine at the moment.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.