Keeper
Participant
@keeper

It’ll be my first and last tattoo really

I know in the end it’ll be my opinion that matters but I dont want to be one of those people who end up with a stupid tattoo (Ive seen a lot of those)

So the tattoo will be on my inner left bicep

Right here –
http://s1.i1.picplzthumbs.com/upload/img/9f/a7/6b/9fa76b0bc151446b1ab0207071d90a5b6cdb5fc2_wmeg_00001.jpg?iact=hc&vpx=373&vpy=227&dur=95&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=155&ty=133&ei=kIYeTprsLJD1gAft1_HQAw&page=2&tbnh=145&tbnw=193&start=19&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:14,s:19

The tattoo will be “EXIST” in this font –

http://i51.tinypic.com/1pdw2d.png

This is basically short for the philosophy of existentialism, which I try to live by
Its basic ideas is, all of your choices count, live with no regrets and only in the present, you have full control of your own life and who you become

I want it to be moderately small and maybe Ill have design around it but itll generally be straightforward

What do you guys thinks?=]
I’m also a girl if that matters

Panter
Participant
@panter

I think it will be quite cool (but what do I know!)

But, it seems kind of ironic to have a tattoo indicating your belief of living for the moment with no regrets, but have it small, discreet and largely invisible!

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

I think a tattoo that just says exist would represent just the opposite of what you’re trying to say. You would say that person exists you would be saying that they are just there doing/being the absolute minimum to survive.

We all said oh just one tattoo and you are fucking hot.

maniacthw
Participant
@maniacthw

That font is horrible and a text tattoo will be very plain.

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

Welcome! I think you should go BOLDER! Let it show, let it shine! Go crazy! What makes you think this will be your one and only tattoo? You do know they’re addicting don’t you? LOL!! :):):)

imperial1904
Participant
@imperial1904

IMO the text is too plain. Maybe you like it, IDK. I agree, you gotta big cause the placement of the tattoo and going small would look weird. If you want a design around it, get it at the same time you get this one. But if you’re intent on having it small and discreet, you should probably think about getting it somewhere else.

Just my $0.02.

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van
buttwheat;91435 wrote:
I think a tattoo that just says exist would represent just the opposite of what you’re trying to say. You would say that person exists you would be saying that they are just there doing/being the absolute minimum to survive.

We all said oh just one tattoo and you are fucking hot.

Were we separated at birth or something? Didn’t glom on to the separate meaning there, but as for the “yeah, one, right!” idea and the fact that she is hot, I was right there with ya! :p Keeper, are you concerned about the expense or something? There are literally thousands of works of art around that accurately convey the concept of existentialism, although a good reproduction of said art could get expensive. Anyway, welcome, whatever you want, go for it, and please post pics when you finally get something done.

puzzled1
Participant
@puzzled1

I’d say think about it a bit more. That’s good tattoo real estate there and you could do so much more with your idea if you went for a design that embodied the concept rather than just a word, or, alternately, as was already suggested, go small and discrete somewhere else on your body.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

Having looked at literally thousands of tattoos for my studies I will step in with some (gentle) advice.

Personally I love text tattoos if done correctly they are awesome and can be easily added to.

The key issues here are;

Placement – I don’t want to be harsh but that area is not a good place for a single text tattoo especially if it is going to be quite small. Tattoos are addictive and you want to sleeve or half sleeve and find you cover up over the orig piece or have to incorporate another idea around it.

Existentialism is a stark and bold philosophy (I am looking at it from Sartre’s interpretation here) compromise would not fit in well with the meaning if you had to fit more ink around it.

I would suggest maybe ankle, top of foot, or collar bone as discreet and does not take up a lot of valuable skin for other pieces.

Size: Most important! Your ink will blur with age has to be a min of 12 pt to stop it turning into a blob. Bigger is better maybe aim at 14-16 pt.

Font – This is a personal taste but sketch it out in pen on self look in mirror will it suit you in 10-20 years?

Post up if you get done.

Take care
Matthew

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

Hey! Stop showin up the rest of us morons! ๐Ÿ˜€

ArniVidar
@arnividar
Dave Van;91469 wrote:
Hey! Stop showin up the rest of us morons! ๐Ÿ˜€

That’s what he’s here for… to show that somebody in here actually has a brain ๐Ÿ™‚

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van
ArniVidar;91474 wrote:
That’s what he’s here for… to show that somebody in here actually has a brain ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh, my bad. *hides in a corner*

Parademic
Participant
@parademic

I see you’ve been arm curling those 60s!!

But also, it is way too plain, you need to spice it up.

Parademic
Participant
@parademic
ArniVidar;91474 wrote:

mmmm bbrraaaaiiinnsss

FoxTattooDesigns
Participant
@foxtattoodesigns

Existisne? Do you exist? Existentialism is one of my favorite philosophies, so I don’t think it’s a bad idea. What I think is a bad idea is stopping at just one tattoo. I’m sure after you get it done, you will be addicted. Good luck with it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.