Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Best tattoo’s ever!

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

I guess I am one of the tattoo snobs, I go for award winning work, by artists who get their work published in the magazines. I know people get excited about wearing some ink but AI dont understand why someone would let some kitchen magician permently mark their bodies with crap looking work.
some of them even like it and get lots more for $20 and a beer, but many approach me everyday and ask how they can cover it up and who they could go to to do it right.

I hope the do it rights keep asking, bad ink is just that, it looks like sh*t, it doesnt holdup well and it does ntohing to improve your appearance

metalmancpa
Participant
@metalmancpa

I looked for a clean and reputable shop, and then I looked at the artists portfolios.

mrchen: You clearly are looking for top shelf all the way, seeking out published artists. That will show nicely on your body and you should be commended for the dediciation you take with your body art. But, I would venture a guess that there are a lot of really great artists in local (clean) shops that could measure up to a lot of the published artists. Maybe they’re happy with their local following and see no need to get published. The guy in Honolulu who did my ink was booked out 5 months, and he really hasn’t publicly published his work. He was well known locally which is how I found him. He doesn’t travel to conventions because of the cost so he doesn’t get his name out. Yet I was very impressed with his portfolio. My tattoo is nothing extreme, but he did what I asked him to do and did it well.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

it is true there are unknown heros out there, what I was refering to was when looking for an artist in your city the best advice I can give is go with the established best.
there are some good local up and coming artist, however 99% of the people doing tattoos I wouldnt let touch me.
there are 299 shops in atlanta, there are I suppose 3 I would let tattoo me, and only a few of those shops artists.
this is your body, you should wear the best. people wear gold chains, have nice cars, $100 tennis shoes, and wheels on the car, why not good ink?

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

Another example……….I see people all the time pay a local shop the same money you could pay a top notch published artist…….one of the main shops I use All or Nothing Tattoo (http://www.allornothingtattoo.com) in Atlanta has resident artists that are published and win trophies at every convention they attend, they charge the same rate as the unknown down the street……..which one do you want to tattoo you?
Your ink is very personal, its quality very important, dont short change yourself

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

I would say you will not walk into a local shop and find an artist who can tattoo like those regularly published. Ive been around this art form in and out of shops world wide since 1977, I just havent come across it, dont think I will. Now someday they might make it, but if they are 3-4 years into the game and not making a splash, somethings up, they may not progress to that level

But no reason to distress, go find the best in your city……..I guarantee there is a guy or girl who hits it out of the park everytime, wins trophies all the time, gets in the mags every year, book them!!!!

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
metalmancpa;93115 wrote:
I looked for a clean and reputable shop, and then I looked at the artists portfolios.

The guy in Honolulu who did my ink was booked out 5 months, and he really hasn’t publicly published his work. He was well known locally which is how I found him. He doesn’t travel to conventions because of the cost so he doesn’t get his name out. Yet I was very impressed with his portfolio. My tattoo is nothing extreme, but he did what I asked him to do and did it well.

Could you post a link to his portfolio?

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
mrchen;93123 wrote:
Another example……….I see people all the time pay a local shop the same money you could pay a top notch published artist…….one of the main shops I use All or Nothing Tattoo (http://www.allornothingtattoo.com) in Atlanta has resident artists that are published and win trophies at every convention they attend, they charge the same rate as the unknown down the street……..which one do you want to tattoo you?
Your ink is very personal, its quality very important, dont short change yourself

There are a lot of published artists that I wouldn’t let touch me and likewise, there are a lot of guys who aren’t huge names that I would gladly get inked by. Now, I am not talking unknowns, but I’m not talking about names that rank with Bob Tyrrell or Victor Portugal either. For example, I wouldn’t hesitate to go to Tom Strom, Megan Hoogland, or Steve Wimmer if their style fit a particular piece I was seeking. So I’m with you in seeking out very good artists to do my ink, but I don’t need a magazine to tell me what’s good and what’s not.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

true that, not everything Ive seen published is good, but it is a goodplace to start…..I also mentioned your local convention, thats where you can compare good, better and best…….I think most of the big TV artists stink, Kat is ok at black and grey, horrible at color work, Ami isnt very good, average…………I would say the problem where most people go wrong is we all started years ago not knowing a good tattoo from a bad one, now years after being around ink we have seen the different levels of talent that exist and we can choose wisely a talented artist.
unfortunately most people let someone tattoo them without the knowledge they should have gained upfront, they havent thought about how to cope with the pain, they havent thought about how long they might have to sit, how they are going to handle it, what will they eat, snack on, they havent prepared their bodies with good rest, hydration, they really arent ready, but most of all they havent done much or any research into tattoo………what is good, what is excellent, what is the very best, what does good ink look like, sharp linework, awesome blends………..I would ask that more people do some research before jumping in the chair

the other side of the coin, if you are going to pay that unpublished artist $80-$100 or so an hour average over a large piece, why not get one of the top names in the business? Same money?? Almost every state in the US has some nationally known talent, maybe not your city, but a couple hours drive is worth it right?

Treat your body right, go get that trophy winning, photoshoot ready piece,

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
mrchen;93148 wrote:
I think most of the big TV artists stink, Kat is ok at black and grey, horrible at color work, Ami isnt very good, average

I agree. If I went to Kat’s shop, I’d be asking for Nikko. If I went to Ami’s shop. it would be Tim Hendricks or Megan Massacre.

mrchen;93148 wrote:
the other side of the coin, if you are going to pay that unpublished artist $80-$100 or so an hour average over a large piece, why not get one of the top names in the business? Same money?? Almost every state in the US has some nationally known talent, maybe not your city, but a couple hours drive is worth it right?

Treat your body right, go get that trophy winning, photoshoot ready piece,

I get what you’re saying, but I don’t know how many great artists average out to $80-100 per hour even over a large piece. Maybe if they cut you a break at a convention, but at their own shop, I wouldn’t count on it. My last piece averaged about $140 per hour and that includes the long lunch break in between. I’m certainly willing to travel and don’t mind paying for quality work, but at least here in the northeast, I sure as heck haven’t met any great artists whose rates average that low no matter how big the piece.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

I have not paid $140 average an hour yet, ever. One cool character my Russ Abbott lists his rate at $170 per hour, however, HE ONLY CHARGES YOU TIME WHILE THE MACHINE IN RUNNING, you go off the clock for him to pour ink, change needles, take a whizz, and he is FAST…….isnt that cool as heck, the guys a saint!

metalmancpa
Participant
@metalmancpa
buttwheat;93131 wrote:
Could you post a link to his portfolio?

Nah. You loved the link so much in the other forum why waste my time here.

maniacthw
Participant
@maniacthw
D3FiANC3;93149 wrote:
I get what you’re saying, but I don’t know how many great artists average out to $80-100 per hour even over a large piece. Maybe if they cut you a break at a convention, but at their own shop, I wouldn’t count on it. My last piece averaged about $140 per hour and that includes the long lunch break in between. I’m certainly willing to travel and don’t mind paying for quality work, but at least here in the northeast, I sure as heck haven’t met any great artists whose rates average that low no matter how big the piece.

I was going to say the same thing, but I didn’t want to be the only one. Amazing artists here charge about $150 an hour. Phil Holt, Ant, etc.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
metalmancpa;93164 wrote:
Nah. You loved the link so much in the other forum why waste my time here.

It wasn’t the Link it was the damn story again;)

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

Russ Abbott was $170 hr, Bandon Bond $200, most other $150, Josh Woods lets you book a whole day for a good price, but I have found when working on a larger piece my hourly rate came down

Other artists that I or my friends have worked with allow all day booking, usually $1000, about 10 hours, yeah come on, good deal
This isnt advertised in most cases, you must inquire

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.