mysticfirefly
Participant
@mysticfirefly

Let me preface this by saying I have 7 tattoos already, so I’m not new to the tattoo world, lol.

I got most of my tattoos more than 10 years ago. I have since moved and the artists I knew and trusted are no longer feasible for me to visit. I started looking for decent artists closer to me. I have 1 tattoo I want reworked, not completely covered. I have ideas for several new tattoos I want too.

A friend suggested someone that did a few of her tattoos, she just raved about this guy. So I called the shop and made an appointment to go talk to the guy. I was told on the phone to bring in any images I’ve found that resemble what I want. No problem.

So I get there and the guy just rubs me the wrong way. He acts like he’s got better things to do and is just really short. He tells me he can’t start looking at the photos and giving me estimates until I pay him a deposit. Fine, I understand that. I’m certainly not trying to waste someones time. But I’m also not going to let someone start to ink me without seeing their portfolio and asking a few questions. He charges me $20 as a deposit.
Then he looks at the tattoo I have that I want reworked and he looked at the images I have brought in. He acts annoyed and tells me I must pick 1 image and stick with it.
So I tried to explain that none of them are exactly what I want, I want kind of a mix. He looks at me strangely and says ‘Well, I’m a flash artist. I won’t design anything personally.’
What? Is this really a thing?
Needless to say I left. I just wondered how many shops out there hire people who can’t draw or design at all. I always assumed tattooing was an art, am I wrong?

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

That is a disgrace you should of given him a slap. For a start he’s attitude was poor you would thing he would be as nice as possible so you decide to get tattoo’d by him and not somebody else. Then he charges you a deposit just for talking which you should of just refused straight away. Then he act’s like a complete Dick towards you.

You should of just told him to fuck off and walked out he sounds so stuck up.

shame for the bad experience you actually get some studio’s who are actually really nice and really down to earth people.

mysticfirefly
Participant
@mysticfirefly

To be honest the only reason I considered paying the $20 was because I assumed he was going to sit down and actually discuss/design an idea for me. I don’t mind paying for that kind of work. I’ve had other artists do that, and the money goes towards the cost of the tattoo later.
Yeah, he was a dick. I called my friend and asked her what the hell her problem was! lol! There is another guy at another shop that I’ve fallen in love with, but I like to get a couple of artists since everyone has different styles. The guy I actually like isn’t great with designing bodies, and one of the ones I want is a pinup girl, so it made sense to look for another artist who could do this.
Won’t be that jerk…

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Sounds good, i am also planning big pinup girl for the side of my body/ribs.

imperial1904
Participant
@imperial1904

I hope you got your $20 back. If anyone at a shop has an attitude with me, they simply won’t get my business. I never had an experience like that though. I thought deposits are to be taken only after given an estimate and you want to book that artist? :confused: Who fucking charges a deposit to talk about what a potential client wants? :rolleyes:

Please give the name of the shop, location and that guy’s name.

Oh and that guy isn’t an artist if you ask me.

mysticfirefly
Participant
@mysticfirefly

Yeah, I got the $20 back. I know he was a dick, the bigger question though was about the fact it was a flash only shop. I hadn’t heard of that before and wondered if anyone else had run across that.

Jolly Rogers- his name was Jeff. I’m in NC btw.

Amok
Participant
@amok

found jolly rogers tattoo shop on myspace, not sure if its the same shop, but their artwork is fucking terrible. I wouldn’t send my worst enemy there. You should punch your friend in the breast for suggesting them.

mysticfirefly
Participant
@mysticfirefly

Most likely the same place. I did read her the riot act about suggesting it. I would think for a shop that’s all flash the work would have been a little better.
Oh well. At least I walked away!

ArniVidar
@arnividar

I would guess that most shops that do not have very good artists, could be considered “Flash Only”. These are no doubt the majority all over the world.

Amok
Participant
@amok
mysticfirefly;91032 wrote:
Most likely the same place. I did read her the riot act about suggesting it. I would think for a shop that’s all flash the work would have been a little better.
Oh well. At least I walked away!

To be honest, “Flash only shop” would scare the hell out of me. Great artists generally do custom work for the most part, and maybe walk-in flash tattoos on weekends. Flash only means they are good at tracing I suppose…

And yes, good thing you left before they inked you.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

This is not a artist this is a tattooist. There is no reason for sub par artists there is so many great artist out there.
Pics? Edit I saw your two pics please research out a better artist

mysticfirefly
Participant
@mysticfirefly

I have no pics since I didn’t let him tattoo me ๐Ÿ™‚ God knows I have enough crappy tattoos as is it, I don’t need to add more!

I looked at their shop page earlier and he has mysteriously disappeared. So he’s moved on to a different place I’m assuming.

mysticfirefly
Participant
@mysticfirefly
buttwheat;91071 wrote:
This is not a artist this is a tattooist. There is no reason for sub par artists there is so many great artist out there.
Pics? Edit I saw your two pics please research out a better artist

Ugh. He didn’t do either of those. The guy in question has not tattooed me. I said that ๐Ÿ˜‰ Those pics were added in 2009. The fairy has since been reworked and the snakes are about to be covered partially and reworked.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.