StayC
Participant
@stayc

Im not sure if there is a thread like this elsewhere, had a scout about and couldnt see one so my question to you all is…..
How did the whole tattoo thing start for you, how did you get into it?

Parademic
Participant
@parademic

By the time I was 13 my dad had his full calf tattoo’d, and both biceps. My mom has 1 almost full sleeve, and a bunch of other ones. My family has always loved tattoos and always been into art. Just something I have grown up with and always loved.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

The Icelandic tattooing scene for the past few decades has been pretty bland, mostly old-school and stuff that I generally have no interest in. For me, it actually started when I started watching Miami Ink and saw that there existed tattoos outside the scope of what is being done here. That got me onto the internet, and from there onto the very few very good artists in Iceland, and finally onto here. Moving forward to my actual tattoo pieces, however, is going to take some time, so I guess I really haven’t started yet. I don’t count my small piece as really having begun 🙂

imperial1904
Participant
@imperial1904

I always liked art, as far back as I can remember. Then around 15-16 I became interested in tattoos. I had some friends who already had tattoos (in the US, you have to be 18+ or have parental permission), then when I was 17 I got my first ink. I never had parental permission… hell, even the shop didn’t care. I’m sure most shops follow the laws more now than ever… atleast I hope they do. 😉

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

to be honest i can’t remember a time when i didn’t want to be covered in tattoo’s.

Saw some guy with a full sleeve when i was about 9 i think and from then on I’ve been saying “i will eventually be covered!”

StayC
Participant
@stayc

Thats interesting the common thing so far seems to be we all know we will get tattood from a failry young age. I suppose its a good thing really, probably means less tattoo regrets :p

I also knew for years I would end up with loads of tattoos, I still only have one but got so many more in the pipeline! My parents dont have any but i grew up in a fairly alternative background like parents listening to rock and metal etc. I would imagine thats been my biggest influence.

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

If you would have asked me when I was twelve what I wanted to be when I grew up, I woulda said “Tattoo artist”. I have no idea where it came from. When I got my first ink at 20, I was the first person in my entire family to get inked. Now all my cousins, half my aunts and uncles, and 2/3 of my sisters have tattoos.

I don’t know where it came from, all I know is that I’m going to keep shopping my portfolio around, and keep practicing until I get apprenticed. In the mean time I’m going to keep filling up on ink!

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

I was also interested in tattooing from an early age. I’ve been drawing since I could hold a pencil, and always dreamed of having my own studio where people liked my work so much that they were willing to buy and display it. Then, as tattooing evolved, and I started to see these amazing airbrush quality works of art on my friends’ skin, I knew that here was an opportunity to have a mobile art gallery that could potentially travel the world! Of course, like many artists I had staggering insecurities about my talents and abilities, and I’m hyper-critical of everything that I create. It has taken me a long time to overcome my self-doubt and finally strike out in a serious effort to follow my dreams, and that little kid with a pencil in me couldn’t be happier! (The adult me is still scared to death, though! LOL!)

Amok
Participant
@amok
StayC;90269 wrote:
Thats interesting the common thing so far seems to be we all know we will get tattood from a failry young age.

Not me, I never really thought about getting a tattoo until just before I turned 30. Spent 2 years thinking about it until I got my first. Still only have one but have booked in for my second. I don’t plan to have any visible tattoos because I work in a professional environment, but eventually my back will be mostly covered.

StayC
Participant
@stayc
Amok;90298 wrote:
Not me, I never really thought about getting a tattoo until just before I turned 30. Spent 2 years thinking about it until I got my first. Still only have one but have booked in for my second. I don’t plan to have any visible tattoos because I work in a professional environment, but eventually my back will be mostly covered.

ahh so we have an exception to the rule here then 🙂 although the age thing does seem to be a common factor still so far.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.