msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

I want to do a memorial tattoo in memory of my son who died 26 years ago in infancy very suddenly. I was inspired by a Queen song “March Of The Black Queen” to put together something along these line: a pair of awesome spread out wings, big, fluffy, angelic wings, have my son’s name Christopher in the center, above the wings in an arch the words: Spread Out Your Wings, below the wings in an under arch: You Are An Angel (words borrowed from the song). Now, here is where I may need some opinions and help. I was thinking of incorporating a halo somewhere in this mix. I am having a problem figuring out where a halo might look nice. I tried placing it around/through the letter “C”, over the “i” and diagonally through the name. Then, I was wondering if the halo would look nice in gold or just leave it black/grey like I plan on the rest of the tattoo being. Or should I skip the halo all together. Then, I think I will need some filler ideas. I don’t know if clouds or sun rays, or lightly backgrounded angels ~ like ghosts almost, would go with this idea. Anyway, does anyone have an idea or opinion of my idea. I have not contacted my artist yet on this particular idea. Thank you much in advance for your time! ๐Ÿ™‚

Amok
Participant
@amok

Sorry to hear about the loss of your son. I think it sounds like a great tribute. I don’t have any feedback since I’m no artist, but there might be too many elements in the tattoo, I’m sure your artist will point you in the right direction though.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Im sorry for your loss! the tribue sounds amazing!

maniacthw
Participant
@maniacthw

A common tribute piece is a crow or a raven. You should try looking into that. In celtic myth, a crow is linked to the goddess of death and helps deliver the soul safely to the afterlife. It’ll include a pair of wings like you’d like, you’ll be able to make it look as mean or as caring as you’d like, and you have the claws to carry whatever you’d like it to hold (The letters you’re talking about). With the symbolism of the crow, the halo isn’t needed. Just some food for thought.

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury
maniacthw;90087 wrote:
A common tribute piece is a crow or a raven. You should try looking into that. In celtic myth, a crow is linked to the goddess of death and helps deliver the soul safely to the afterlife. It’ll include a pair of wings like you’d like, you’ll be able to make it look as mean or as caring as you’d like, and you have the claws to carry whatever you’d like it to hold (The letters you’re talking about). With the symbolism of the crow, the halo isn’t needed. Just some food for thought.

Actually,very interesting idea. A really different take and since I’m into celtic things (I’m planning on getting a celtic cross tattoo one day) I like your suggestion, especially the claws carrying the letters. I figured the halo probably was just not needed. I really do need to hear other opinions before I present my idea to my artist. And, I don’t want my idea to be too simple or too common. I like symbolism a lot. Thank you for the food for thought!:)

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

Hey, didn’t want you to think I was uninterested by not responding, but wow, that is just so personal, I would feel extremely uncomfortable trying to weigh in on something like that. And sympathies for your loss.

imperial1904
Participant
@imperial1904

As already mentioned, sorry for your loss.

With the halo, this is just my opinion (not a tattoo artist’s opinion), but with everything you mentioned a banner on the bottom of the wings with those quotes and have the halo on top over the wings and you can still have your sons name in the middle.

How big do you want to go on this memorial? If you get it on your back, I can imagine having the gates of Heaven with clouds, your hand holding your sons hand somewhere in there with angels around and those quotes incorporated into the piece.

Again, my opinion, not a tattoo artist’s. Hope this helps. ๐Ÿ™‚

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury
Dave Van;90090 wrote:
Hey, didn’t want you to think I was uninterested by not responding, but wow, that is just so personal, I would feel extremely uncomfortable trying to weigh in on something like that. And sympathies for your loss.

Oh, thanks, Dave. It is personal, but I really need help with this. I do think I’m going to drop the halo idea. ๐Ÿ™‚

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury
imperial1904;90092 wrote:
As already mentioned, sorry for your loss.

With the halo, this is just my opinion (not a tattoo artist’s opinion), but with everything you mentioned a banner on the bottom of the wings with those quotes and have the halo on top over the wings and you can still have your sons name in the middle.

How big do you want to go on this memorial? If you get it on your back, I can imagine having the gates of Heaven with clouds, your hand holding your sons hand somewhere in there with angels around and those quotes incorporated into the piece.

Again, my opinion, not a tattoo artist’s. Hope this helps. ๐Ÿ™‚

It does help and nice ideas. I am planning on having it fairly large. On my back most likely, either in the very center and spreading out or just the right side shoulder area. Not sure yet. I think angels would be a very nice touch too. The gates of heaven with clouds is an excellent idea. Thanks! This gives me lots to think about. For some reason I’ve had some blockage in my brain and this has really helped open up my mind a bit.

Bope
Participant
@bope

sorry to hear about your loss..

my wife just got one for her father(killed during her birthday party on his Harley..) He always wore a top hat, so she got his his top hat with Harley wings and the date he passed.(20+ years ago)

Our artist is a real biker, so he really poured his soul into that tat… I’m sure anything you get worked out will be awesome..some really great ideas being thrown out there…;)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.