Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

Well, I went to a studio today to check out an apprenticeship opportunity. The guy wants 7 large for a three year apprenticeship, but I’m thinking 3 years of guaranteed shop space with a talented artist, no bullshit, no attitude… Plus, I walked in five minutes after he opened and he’s doing a tat. I would like to know what the people familiar with my work think, especially Buttwheat, and Arni, if I could get you to chime in it would REALLY mean a lot. Thanks!

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

I don’t know dude. Maybe it’s because I worked really hard on my portfolio and got tattooed alot at the shop where I got my apprenticeship. I got my apprenticeship for free. I also don’t have to do anything the other artists wouldn’t do as far as shop duties and there has been no hazing. There was/is no time limit or schedule. My progress is directly related to the work I put in. I started my apprenticeship in October and started tattooing friends and family in May.

Seven thousand dollars sounds like it’s a lot of money to me. Is this guy a world class artist? I understand charging for apprenticeships. It makes them treat it more seriously. It covers the artist’s butt in terms of time spent and if the apprentice takes off right after they complete the apprenticeship thy don’t lose their investment.

It’s my opinion though that if you are the right person with the right portfolio, then an artist will want to teach you. They’ll want to bring you into their world because the tattoo industry NEEDS you because you have something new and wonderful to bring to the table.

I would say to keep working on your art. Keep getting tattooed. Sounds silly but heavily tattooed people do have an easier time getting into the industry. It shows commitment. Keep asking for critiques on your portfolio from multiple artists. Go to conventions. Talk to as many artists as possible. Ask them how they got into it. Not how you can get into it. It’s a very guarded profession. They’ll be more willing to talk if it’s about them. Read magazines about tattooing. They have the most current information, styles, and artists. Books are usually outdated.

Hope this helps you.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Dave you are seriously talented if you really work at getting a big portfolio together you should have no problem getting a FREE apprenticeship by a top notch artist. Follow Davids advice. Go to conventions meet artists, Friend all the top artists on Facebook I’ve seen one of them that was looking for an apprentice a few months back I forget who it was. Keep drawing man.
But if this guy is in your home town and you feel comfortable with him go for it. But I think you may be selling yourself short. follow your heart man.
Do you have a link to this guys work?

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the advice. Here is the guy’s site.

http://www.spidertattooz.com/

What I really like is the guy’s dedication and attitude. I’m still a little put off by the amount required and not really leaning one way or the other, just looking for a couple opinions from people whose opinions I respect, and the two of you really seem to know your shit. So thanks again for taking the time to comment!

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Like butthead said dude!

you will easily be able to get a free aprentiship with somebody quality if you get youreself a kick-ass portfolio!!!!

good luck pencil jedi!

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

lol thanks, Wardy. Back at ya, bro.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
Dave Van;89843 wrote:
Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the advice. Here is the guy’s site.

http://www.spidertattooz.com/

You will surpass him in a month. But that doesn’t mean you can’t learn from him. I have also heard of mentors just holding the money and giving it back. the money was just to make sure you were serous about it.

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

Or for that kind of money he should at least buy every piece of equipment and supply you need for your entire apprenticeship.

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

Yeah, I read his contract and that’s not part of the deal. :p Like I said, though, I’m not really seriously considering going with him, although I probably would if the situation were a bit different. I think I’m going to have to get a job and save some money up for when I find the right shop. Just don’t think it’s going to be around here unfortunately. Oh well, I’ve waited 41 yrs, what’s another year or two. Again, though, thanks for the advice.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Although $7,000 isn’t really all that far out if you think of the whole thing in college terms, tattooing is in essence a vocational training and I don’t know of any vocational training studies that cost this much. If I were going to a vocational school and they wanted to charge me $1200 a semester, I’d find a different school.

I don’t know anything about the apprenticeship world, really, but from a pure business standpoint I’d think you were being ripped off.

The tattooing industry is coming more and more popular, and there will always be people who want to make some money off that. This does not mean that said person isn’t a great artist or a fabulous teacher, but the money is in no way indicative of their quality either.

After quickly going through his portfolio, however, I must say that I really don’t like most of his stuff and I think there must be better artists out there to teach you.

Amok
Participant
@amok

is this just a thing in the tattoo industry? apprentice mechanics for example get paid a minimum wage to learn by watching, and keep the shop clean. It just seems absurd that they try to make YOU pay when you’re going to be working for them. I don’t think someone with your talent should have to fork out that much kablingi for an apprenticeship

ArniVidar
@arnividar
Amok;90162 wrote:
is this just a thing in the tattoo industry? apprentice mechanics for example get paid a minimum wage to learn by watching, and keep the shop clean.

True, but they’ve also been to school and studied Mechanics… which cost them money. Tattooing does both at once; teaching and apprenticeship. I guess it makes sense to even them out so you pay for the education and get paid for the work equaling somewhere close to 0 🙂

Amok
Participant
@amok
ArniVidar;90164 wrote:
True, but they’ve also been to school and studied Mechanics… which cost them money. Tattooing does both at once; teaching and apprenticeship. I guess it makes sense to even them out so you pay for the education and get paid for the work equaling somewhere close to 0 🙂

I guess it depends on what country you’re in? I used to be a mechanic and I didn’t study anything besides basic high school beforehand, the company i worked for paid me to work there, and paid my tuition fees as well.

Seems like a raw deal for talented artists, which is disappointing. In Australia at least, its hard to find a really good artist as there are hardly any tattoo shops here. Compared to say, the US or UK.

The point of my rambling I guess is, there should be more incentive…

Parademic
Participant
@parademic

I believe that you are already a better artist than that guy is. Get a nice portfolio together, different styles of drawings, and you will get an apprenticeship for free. A great artist like yourself will make the shop money.

Also, some tattoo shops just have the worst names ever haha.

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

Thanks to everyone for the great advice and support. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to try and help me out, and I hope that within the next five years or so you’ll be seeing me out there winning competitions and making industry news! When I learn to tattoo like I draw I plan on giving great deals to all of my friends here who come to see me for tats. Your interest and enthusiasm really mean a lot to me and inspire me to really take this seriously.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.