50cal
Participant
@50cal

I work out for an hour and a half, three times a week. Obviously I’m dripping with sweat during the workout. Is it OK to get a tattoo and workout regularly? Or should there be no working out for 3 weeks when the tattoo is healing? And does the same apply to just getting touch ups? This may seem like a dumb question but doing weight training I don’t wanna see my progress go down the drain if it isn’t necessary.

Adler
Participant
@adler

Take a couple of weeks off, it aint gonna hurt you. If it’ll make you feel better, increase what you do before taking the break.

Amok
Participant
@amok

I’m in the same boat, I usually work out about 2 hrs per day.

As Adler said, you need to take a break for at least a week (probably more) after each tattoo session to avoid damage to your tattoo. This includes both cardio and weights.

I know you feel like you’re going backwards when you spend that long away from the gym, but its actually good to take a break to allow your body to recover.

Parademic
Participant
@parademic

I just posted about this with my outlines. I took weights off until I noticed my scabs flaking off, then I did weights today, but no cardio just yet.

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

There’s no reason to take off from the gym for the tattoo healing process. Yes, it’ll be sore, and the sweat will sting like three mother fucks, but as long as you stay out of chlorinated water, it won’t hurt your ink and your chance of infection is low.

I power lift. Got 435 up on the bench for the first time less than 24 hours after I got my steam pink cyber squid on my arm. It’s just a matter of pushing.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

50cal
Participant
@50cal
KnightHawk;87728 wrote:
There’s no reason to take off from the gym for the tattoo healing process. Yes, it’ll be sore, and the sweat will sting like three mother fucks, but as long as you stay out of chlorinated water, it won’t hurt your ink and your chance of infection is low.

I power lift. Got 435 up on the bench for the first time less than 24 hours after I got my steam pink cyber squid on my arm. It’s just a matter of pushing.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Haven’t you had any problems with sweat messing with the scabs or anything?

Adler
Participant
@adler

I’ll stand by my post. Is it going to definitely cause problems with healing, no…but why take the chance? If you can’t go a week or two without lifting then you’ve got other issues. I work out all the time, too, and I’m fine from taking an occasional tattoo break.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
Adler;87744 wrote:
I’ll stand by my post. Is it going to definitely cause problems with healing, no…but why take the chance? If you can’t go a week or two without lifting then you’ve got other issues. I work out all the time, too, and I’m fine from taking an occasional tattoo break.

What he said. Why risk it. Taking a couple of weeks off is nit going to hurt you but not taking the time off could fuck up your tattoo forever.

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk
50cal;87729 wrote:
Haven’t you had any problems with sweat messing with the scabs or anything?

Nope. Never. Though I will admit when I got my back piece, which covers the entirety of my shoulder blades, I took a few days off, but that was mostly because it stung like a mad bastard.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

I’ve never taken more than a week off for a tattoo. It’ll give your body a rest without setting you back. Honestly, I think 3-4 days is probably enough.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.