Sinnaere
Participant
@sinnaere

So, I’m getting a new tattoo. I plan on going sometime this month to get it as long as the cash I have set aside is enough. I want to get it on the side of my torso, on my ribcage. I know that this is a very sensitive area, but it’s going to be a fairly large tattoo. I was just wanting opinions on what I plan to get.

Phoenix.jpg

Mojojenjen
Participant
@mojojenjen

Looks awesome :]

TheShepherd
Participant
@theshepherd

solid design. get it done by a good artist and post pictures

Adler
Participant
@adler

You said you’re going this month…have you selected and talked to an artist yet? For something like this, you will need a highly skilled artist or this large piece will look like crap and be a huge waste of space and money. And speaking of money, you should expect this to cost a fair amount and probably be two sessions. Who’s the artist and can you provide a link so we can give opinions on the artist? Are you going color?

ukansodoff
Participant
@ukansodoff

That looks great, are you thinkin of changin it at all or is that exactly what your guna get?

Sinnaere
Participant
@sinnaere

I haven’t actually spoken to the artist about this tattoo yet, but I know the artist. He’s done work on my husband before. His name is Carroll. They’re website is not very informative that I’ve seen but it’s http://www.artworxtattoo.com. I plan on keeping the design pretty much exactly like that, no color, but removing the sun in the background. I had a feeling that it would probably be expensive. If need be, I’ll go a session at a time until I can get it all. I didn’t think it would be more than one session since it’s all gonna just be black, but I wasn’t sure. I have no problem with multiple sessions. This will be my first really big tattoo, so I don’t know much about doing it in multiple sessions, i.e. how much can be accomplished in one session, how long the average session lasts, etc. Thank you for your insights, though.

Adler
Participant
@adler

I hate to be so skeptical but without seeing the artist’s extensive portfolio I wouldn’t let him do this. Can you post up a pic of what he did on your husband? This is not a walk-in tattoo, there should be a consultation and an appt made. To me, if you’re going to someone who has no waiting list and you can get right in for this, he may not be qualified. To repeat, you need a very skilled artist to do this and typically most have at least a little wait list and want a consult. Just trying to look out for you because this has the potential to be real nice or a pile of garbage.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

^ What Adler said

Sinnaere
Participant
@sinnaere

I’m not even sure I can get in this month. I haven’t called to make the appointment yet. When I can I’ll post a pic of my husband’s tattoo once he gets back in state. It’s not really much. Four bear paws and some Native American symbols. I’ll do my research and check out his portfolio. Again I appreciate your insight and help. I’ll also check out some other artists in the area.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
buttwheat;86105 wrote:
^ What Adler said

+2

Cool design btw.

ukansodoff
Participant
@ukansodoff

How come your takin the sun out of it?? I quite like that arch of fire. Is it space, price or you just not feeling it?

Gotta say if the tattooist gets that right its a fabulous tattoo. i like it more each time i look at it.

maniacthw
Participant
@maniacthw

I’ll be the first to say it… This tattoo needs, at the very least, an ounce of color. I feel like a phoenix will fail without it.

Sinnaere
Participant
@sinnaere

To be honest, I’m just not feeling the sun. Not to mention that there’s already enough detail to it without adding that extra bit. My only problem with adding color is the fact that there are so many different renditions of the phoenix out there in so many different varying hues that I honestly don’t know what colors I would go with. And as there isn’t a real phoenix to just look at a picture of to say, yep, those are the colors, I figured I’d leave well enough alone. Unless I decided to at least make the flames in color….but that would leave the phoenix looking out of place.

I’m going on Tuesday to try and talk with the artist about pricing and all the other details, as well as to check out his portfolio. From there, we’ll look at setting an appointment. We’ll see what he has to say. I’m going to tell him up front that I have a hard limit for how much I can spend that way he knows and can try to work within those parameters as well as let me know how many sessions I’m looking at.

JJ
Participant
@jj

Like others said, definitely check into the artist a bit. You need someone who can handle that kind of design.

But I dig the idea. I could see it flowing real good if put in the right spot on your ribs.

Sinnaere
Participant
@sinnaere

Ok, so I went to talk to the artist today. His portfolio looked really good and I’m confident that he can handle this piece. He took a look at the picture and said that it would be two sessions: one for the outline and another for the shading. Altogether it’s going to cost me around $400-$450. That was quoted before I even told him what my spending limit was for the first session, which works cuz I have $450 set aside. He only went lower with the price because him and my husband know each other and hang out every now and again. My appointment is Tuesday of next week and I’m so super stoked. My Tattoo Goo came in the mail Monday, so my aftercare products are all ready and waiting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.