fallonw
Participant
@fallonw

How covered are you?

What did your family think?

Is the town/city you live in accepting of body art?

How old are you and how old were you when you got your first tattoo?

What is the meaning behind your tattoo(s)? – if any

I’m interested because each country has their own rules on tattoosl.

I live in a relatively small town in Australia. The law here is that you can not get a tattoo until you are over the age of 18.

Tattoos in and around this town are mostly accepted. There is also quite a large number of people with tattoos. Also people under age with tattoos.

I am 19 and was 19 when I got my first tattoo.

I hope you reply, because I am interested in your answers 🙂

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

my left arm and knucles are bassicly coverd i have 7, planning to be “Covered” mum likes them, dad hates them, nan is really worried about me, grandad doesent give a flying fuck 🙂

and yeah there is some decent ink where im from

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
WardyInk;85951 wrote:
and yeah there is some decent ink where im from

And you’re happy with your artist? Huh

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

The artist who does me is actually really good :/ ill post up some of he’s work if you like 🙂

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

I have one full sleeve, one half sleeve, most of one lower leg, one side of my ribs, and a small tattoo in the center of my back. My family is pretty into them with the exception of my grandparents. My city has probably too many tattoo shops and a decent percentage of the population is tattooed. I’ve never had negative comments directed towards me (to my face at least). I am currently working as a home remodeler while I complete my apprenticeship to become a tattoo artist so my tattoos are almost a uniform now. I’m 32 years old and I got my first tattoo at 20 years old.

Full sleeve- Japanese snake, hannya, and peonies. The snake is for the old life that I shed and for new beginnings like a snake shedding it’s skin. The snake also represents intelligence, charm, and creativity.

Half sleeve- salt water fish and corals. I am a salt water fish enthusiast.

Gerber daisies in both ditches- the first flowers I ever gave my girlfriend

Lower leg- tribal dragon (I know… It’s done poorly as well). Bio-organic gooey dripping eyeball, anvil with the words black metal above and below (a tattoo I share with my closest friends.

Blue star in center of my back- my mom has a crescent moon and star for mother and child, I got the star as I am her child.

Ribs- graffiti drawing of Buffalo city hall. My city, I love this place.

ukansodoff
Participant
@ukansodoff

Ive got 5 at the moment, having an upper sleeve designed for me right now which im just waiting on and while im waiting for that im poppin in to get another one done.

Where im from most people have them, pretty much everybody in my family has one though my mum gives me grief when i talk of getting a new one, really think its about time she gave up that argument.

In my town its just as common to have one than not these days and i just work in a crumby warehouse so its never guna be something that clashes with the type of work i do.

I got my 1st on my 18th Birthday after initially wanting one when i was at school but promised my mum i would wait.

My tattoos so far are 3 different sharks, a crocodile, animals i have a passion for, and the symbol for Biohazard (chemical waste) with Biohazard being on of my favourite bands for many years its something i always wanted doing.

Is that all questions answered?

fallonw
Participant
@fallonw
DavidJednat;85972 wrote:
I have one full sleeve, one half sleeve, most of one lower leg, one side of my ribs, and a small tattoo in the center of my back. My family is pretty into them with the exception of my grandparents. My city has probably too many tattoo shops and a decent percentage of the population is tattooed. I’ve never had negative comments directed towards me (to my face at least). I am currently working as a home remodeler while I complete my apprenticeship to become a tattoo artist so my tattoos are almost a uniform now. I’m 32 years old and I got my first tattoo at 20 years old.

Full sleeve- Japanese snake, hannya, and peonies. The snake is for the old life that I shed and for new beginnings like a snake shedding it’s skin. The snake also represents intelligence, charm, and creativity.

Half sleeve- salt water fish and corals. I am a salt water fish enthusiast.

Gerber daisies in both ditches- the first flowers I ever gave my girlfriend

Lower leg- tribal dragon (I know… It’s done poorly as well). Bio-organic gooey dripping eyeball, anvil with the words black metal above and below (a tattoo I share with my closest friends.

Blue star in center of my back- my mom has a crescent moon and star for mother and child, I got the star as I am her child.

Ribs- graffiti drawing of Buffalo city hall. My city, I love this place.

I love what your snake tattoo represents. I have been wanting to plan/design a snake tattoo with very similar meaning. I am unsure how to make it so it does not look like a mans tattoo. I am not sure how to describe it since I dont want it ‘girly’. I am also unsure where the best place would be for me to get it tattood.
I havn’t thought about putting it as a part of my sleeve, but maybe that is an option. What do you think?

The moon and star tattoo idea is brilliant. I have been looking for a tattoo that represents mother and child. Yours is my favourite so far. But alas, I hate copying people haha.

fallonw
Participant
@fallonw
ukansodoff;85988 wrote:
Where im from most people have them, pretty much everybody in my family has one though my mum gives me grief when i talk of getting a new one, really think its about time she gave up that argument.

In my town its just as common to have one than not these days and i just work in a crumby warehouse so its never guna be something that clashes with the type of work i do.

I really like how things have changed (or seem to have changed). I like that a tattoo does not mean that you are in a gang or that you are a violent scary person.

I have always wanted a tattoo. I have no idea why or even where I saw tattoos and learnt what they were. The only thing I can guess would be using those rub on pretend tattoos when I was little.

My family are 100% against them. This is what my Mum said about my first tattoo ”if it was on paper, then yes I would like it” which is better than my Dad telling me that I would have to hide it whenever I went to see my sisters (2yrs and 5yrs old)

I would love for my family to be just a bit accepting of it. I worry that I will be dis-owned when I get more tattoos :/

Bolohead
Participant
@bolohead
fallonw;85950 wrote:
How covered are you?

I have just one tat right now, between my shoulder blades on my back.

Quote:

My wife was iffy because she just doesn’t think they are for her, but my grown kids and their spouses thought, yeah dad go for it.

Quote:

Our city is very accepting of tattoo’s.

Quote:

Quote:
What is the meaning behind your tattoo(s)? – if any

Hawaiian/Polynesian Makau (fish hook) means “Strength and Prosperity”

My ink is now one week old, and I’m now looking to add to it. My wife admitted that she loves what I had done, but would rather I not add more. I told her today that I was not done completing this one yet, and that will be the next phase of this one, and any new ones after that will still be a completion of the first one etc.

maniacthw
Participant
@maniacthw

Two. I was 19 when I got my first. My family isn’t in my life, so fuck what they think. My city has about 60/40 tattooed/not tattooed. The first tattoo is the Skatepark of Tampa logo, which is the Tampa city skyline with a star under it. At the time, I was planning on leaving Florida all together. I still am. The tattoo is there to remind me that home is right behind me. The second is a Punisher skull on my chest. It represents human mortality. It’s basically there to remind me that one day I will die.

ithompson
Participant
@ithompson

I have 4 : Right rib cage, collar bone, a line on both biceps, and then one right between my shoulder blades. Plain on getting plenty more but I want them to: A) look good or B) mean something to me.

My home town is a pretty big area, so you find plenty of both accepting people and people that look at you like you’re the scum of the Earth.
However the town I live in for college bleeds conservative. So nobody likes them, but meh doesn’t bother me any, just gives me incentive to show them off more.

My mum jokes with me cause when I got my ribs done I was constantly saying “I’m only getting one…” Obviously didn’t work out like that. However I’m getting home from college in 2 weeks and taking her to get her first, so I’m guessing she’s cool with it. (:

I’m 19 now, got my first the day after I turned 18.

My rib cage is a memorial piece to my pops who died in a car accident, I was young but my god-father who was military with him says I’m just like him

My chest- “This is loyalty, this is Family” had a lot of issues going through highschool and family is family and just wanted something to commemorate that for me.

My biceps- ” Seize the day, tomorrow is never promised”
My back- “I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.” These 2 go together for me just as a reminder that this is a life quickly passing by and I strongly believe in living in the moment and making the most of everything I do.

Evilrhoda
Participant
@evilrhoda

How covered are you?
I have one tattoo on my stomach I got in September

My mom came with me and now she wants one. My dad is conservative but he never sees it since it’s on my stomach so I don’t think he cares. My husband likes it and my sister wants to get one too.

I live in NC in the US and lots of people are tattooed but we can’t have any visible tattoos where I work. It doesn’t affect me b/c I only want to get one more( on my ribs) and I don’t even know if I’m going to suck it up and actually get it anyway, I’m one of those wimps that hates the pain

I’m 23 and I was 23 when I got mine

What is the meaning behind your tattoo
I got a fairy with a blue mohawk and a pocketwatch set to 10:15 The fairy is a reminder of my cousin and the good times we had when we were kids being weird. (She gave one of her fairy dolls a blue mohawk). The 10:15 is for my favorite song 10:15 Saturday Night and the pocketwatch looks like the white rabbit in Disney’s Alice in Wonderland b/c it’s a good friend’s favorite movie.

JJ
Participant
@jj

I have 7 currently. I am no where near covered, but I would love to be.
My parents are incredibly conservative and probably had nightmares when I got my first one. The town I’m in is incredibly open to tattoos. I live nearby to a large military community so it is nothing new to the people here.
I got my first one at 18. I’m 23 now.

All of mine have meaning, at least to me the meanings are very strong and totally help me remember some big times in my life.
*Left shoulder blade (first one): Says “Semper Fidelis” and has two plumeria flowers on either side of it. The flowers are colored to match my husband and my astrological signs (yellow – earth, pink – fire). My husband was in Iraq for his first tour of duty when I got it.
*Right inner ankle: Three Hawaiian style turtles with a hibiscus flower in the middle. It’s all grey and black shaded. I got it to represent myself and my parents who moved to the island together, in a very simple explanation.
*Left outter ankle/shin: Blue lotus flower, two dragonflies(one pink and one purple) and my brother’s name. Fairly obvious why I got that, I wanted him with me always. [Sadly this tattoo needs a lot of work. The artist who did it really did not get the idea I was going for and so now I am left with a less than perfect tattoo]
*Right wrist: Very simple, very powerful. It says “Hope” with some line designs underneath it. I got it when I was dealing with my own personal battle with two gnarly diseases.
*Left wrist: Hawaiian turtle with a hibiscus on its back. Hawaii means the world to me (can ya tell?) The turtle is solid black and the flower is red. Red for passion, love. My friend and I got them together when we were both on the island.
*Left hand ring finger: A Celtic trinity knot. My husband and I have matching tattoos here. We got them in our third year of being married, before his third deployment. They represent our never ending promise to each other. Plus it looks pretty rad underneath our rings.
*Left hip: A penguin and an M-16 rifle. Literally it’s just that. A very realistic penguin with a rifle resting on its wing. It’s black and grey and definitely my most unique one. My husband and I jokingly call each other our “penguin” and the first gun I ever shot was an M-16 which is what he uses at work. This one was a homecoming surprise for him one year.

I have plans for several more and once I get more settled in this area I am definitely going to start some serious consults and check out local artists!

Sinnaere
Participant
@sinnaere

I have 6 tattoos. They’re all relatively small. I’m also planning a new one which isn’t going to be so small. My first tattoo was a red European dragon on my left shoulderblade. Dragons are one of two animals that I associate most closely with and they are very special to me. My next one was a tribal dragon on my lower back. I have a slave band on my left bicep. On my right shoulder I have a stars and stripes eagle head with U.S. Army under it because I was in the Army. At the base of my neck I have a tribal phoenix because the phoenix is the other animal the I associate most closely with. To me the phoenix is a symbol of rebirth (and eternal life) and at the time I was just getting out of the military and starting life anew. On my right forearm I have blood-tipped ankh, which is the Egyptian symbol for eternal life. Ancient Egypt is one of my favorite ancient civilizations. The blood on the ankh represents mortality. The tattoo that I am planning is a phoenix on the right side of my torso on the ribs.

My family doesn’t really mind my tattoos at all. My mom signed for me to get my first tattoo at 16, so she’s definitely ok with tattoos. After I got mine, she finally got one of her own.

Most people where I live have tattoos, so what’s one more person with a tattoo.

I’ll be 26 in August and I was 16 when I got my first.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.